PDA

View Full Version : Vermilion Bay Weekend report

Reefman
08-22-2011, 03:05 PM
Fished inside the Bay Friday.... Dry Reef, Cove, Blue Point, Mud point and the Hammick.....3 small specks, 4 small white trout and 1 flounder. Water is great everywhere but no trout in yet.

Brother-in-law went to Diamond Sat. with 2 fishing, ended up with 42; 14-18 inch schoolies. Went back Sunday and did better but the sharks gave them fits. Half the fish caught on gulp shrimp the others on swim baits and norton sand eel, jr.

Just found this forum! kinda got tired of reading all the fish being caught east of here on dem other sites!

SULPHITE
08-22-2011, 03:09 PM
welcome and thanks for the report!!

PaulMyers
Thanks for the report and welcome to the SaltyCajun! :)

Montauk17
Thanks for the report and welcome to the site! I think we will have a great fall bite in the bay this year. Can't wait for the first hint of a cool front!

Reefman
08-22-2011, 03:36 PM
Thanks for the report and welcome to the site! I think we will have a great fall bite in the bay this year. Can't wait for the first hint of a cool front!
The Bay is full of bait fish and shrimp. I think shrimp opened today. I've always found that after the trawlers work the bay over for a coupla weeks the trout seem to turn on. Conditions are really good now for a great fall season. The reefs outside are producing on a regular basis. Should hold up unless we get a storm in our area.

Montauk17
08-22-2011, 03:46 PM
The Bay is full of bait fish and shrimp. I think shrimp opened today. I've always found that after the trawlers work the bay over for a coupla weeks the trout seem to turn on. Conditions are really good now for a great fall season. The reefs outside are producing on a regular basis. Should hold up unless we get a storm in our area.

Yep shrimp season opened today. Never thought about it helping but makes sense.

Nitramiii
08-22-2011, 04:21 PM
thanks for the report

shellman
08-22-2011, 06:34 PM
Thanx for the report and welcome to sc...

speck-chaser
08-22-2011, 08:44 PM
Great report and welcome aboard.

blackmamba
08-22-2011, 09:10 PM
Welcome. I went Friday and fished a little in the cove. Water was salty but I didn't catch any fish. Didn't stay long tho. Weeks bay was still fresh too

Reefman
08-23-2011, 09:26 AM
Welcome. I went Friday and fished a little in the cove. Water was salty but I didn't catch any fish. Didn't stay long tho. Weeks bay was still fresh too

What's with all the gulls sitting in Weeks Bay????? 1000's sitting and pecking with only gaff tops and lady fish under them. I always find that if the ladyfish are in so are the specks. Shows ya what little I know:confused:.....

Mamba, did ya run to the Hammick while there. Fished very salty, green water off the point in the stump field; only croakers and a coupla under size trout. I think Dry Reef should be the first area to start up. Giving it another look see this Thursday...will post the good or the bad!

duckfreak
08-23-2011, 01:24 PM
What's with all the gulls sitting in Weeks Bay????? 1000's sitting and pecking with only gaff tops and lady fish under them. I always find that if the ladyfish are in so are the specks. Shows ya what little I know:confused:.....

Mamba, did ya run to the Hammick while there. Fished very salty, green water off the point in the stump field; only croakers and a coupla under size trout. I think Dry Reef should be the first area to start up. Giving it another look see this Thursday...will post the good or the bad!
Man, I hear you about them birds in Weeks Bay, them things had me all pumped up my last trip there, I was headed in for the day, made me come to a screaching halt, to find only lady fish and one very LARGE Croaker.........:rotfl: But hey it didn't hurt to try!

Montauk17
08-23-2011, 01:26 PM

I have seen that for the last 2-3 years in weeks bay. Birds everywhere but nothing but lady fish under them. Perfect for the kids,not good to eat.
Lady fish make great trout bait too. :D

YellowMouth7
08-24-2011, 10:50 AM
Welcome buddy!!!!

Kenner18
08-24-2011, 10:52 AM
Welcome aboard .

mcjaredsandwich
08-24-2011, 11:16 AM
Thanks for the report reefman, and welcome aboard. Great group of people here. Keep the reports coming and your lines tight.

Sammich

blackmamba
08-24-2011, 12:04 PM
No Reefman I didn't go to the hammock. I loaded up and went to the basin and sweated my *** off