PDA

View Full Version : FWC this afternoon

Gasper Master
08-28-2011, 11:13 PM
launched and caught some mullet and ran out of FWC. NO CURRENT. First platform, white trout on first cast, then nothing but hardheads and gafftops. Hooked two big arse fish that broke me off??? Don't know what they were, but they hit my live bait as soon as it hit the water and started sinking. First one surfaced and jumped, the second one peeled drag for a while, then cut me. Thinking maybe King Mackeral???? There were schools of big mullet everywher, with thousands per school. We could here them from hundreds of yards away when the school would spook. Tried three different platforms, all trash fish. Is there any way you can predict the ocean currents??? The tide went out big time, and there was no current, so obviously that has nothing to do with it. We were 10 miles out in beautiful water.

cajun bill
08-29-2011, 04:51 PM
I'm guessing, based on past experience, they were either bluefish or spainish macks.

Gasper Master
08-29-2011, 05:17 PM
Do spanish macks get real big? these were pulling some drag,

meaux fishing
08-29-2011, 05:29 PM
Do spanish macks get real big? these were pulling some drag,
depends on what you mean by real big... I caught some 25 inchers the other day. They will put up a pretty good fight especially on a trout rod

chasin'tail
08-29-2011, 05:33 PM
Caught some spanish today, they were hitting us like frieght trains . Biggest was about 4lbs.

DUCKGOGETTER
08-29-2011, 05:42 PM
Thanks for the report

cabwiz2
08-29-2011, 05:48 PM
3 to 4lbs is common there. They are fun to fight but a pain in the rear when they start cutting your line. Also the ladyfish are huge there to.

Gasper Master
08-29-2011, 08:47 PM
I would guess that the first fish was over 24" from what i could see on the surface. Not sure on the weight, b/c it cut me off, it was just fast as hell. It surfaces and took off and cut me.
The second one took off like a freight train after i set the hook. I keep my drag set tight b/c I fish with a braided main line. This fish took off and started smokin my drag. I freespooled the fish while my buddy untied from the plaftorm. He slowed down and went deeper without any pressure on him. Once we got off the platform, i put a little pressure on him and he started fighting and cut me.......

I hate not knowing what I hooked lol

Gasper Master
08-29-2011, 08:47 PM
I would guess that the first fish was over 24" from what i could see on the surface. Not sure on the weight, b/c it cut me off, it was just fast as hell. It surfaces and took off and cut me.
The second one took off like a freight train after i set the hook. I keep my drag set tight b/c I fish with a braided main line. This fish took off and started smokin my drag. I freespooled the fish while my buddy untied from the plaftorm. He slowed down and went deeper without any pressure on him. Once we got off the platform, i put a little pressure on him and he started fighting and cut me.......

I hate not knowing what I hooked lol