PDA

View Full Version : The holy trinity: What you gonna cook?

coachlaw
05-11-2009, 09:32 PM
First you chop the "holy trinity", you know, the onions, bell peppers, and celery. Then you grab the big iron skillet. The question is, what you gonna cook?

This is how I start every meal I cook. Sometimes I leave out the celery. Anybody else here do the same?

CatDaddy
05-11-2009, 10:10 PM
IM the same way.... i cook first..... then i name it....

My wife asks me what im cooking, and i tell her what it is when im finished..

LittleRob
05-12-2009, 08:14 AM
If you put alot of onions, bell pepper and garlic simmer it long enough it will be good.

txjoker
05-12-2009, 02:21 PM
I thought a mirepoix was onions, carrots, and celery?

http://classical-french-cuisine.suite101.com/article.cfm/mirepoix

LittleRob
05-12-2009, 03:37 PM
Thats a New Orleans thing the mirepoix, we normally use onion, bell pepper, and celery, the trinity of cajun cooking

coachlaw
05-12-2009, 05:21 PM
I'm of the opinion that carrots should never, ever, ever be cooked. If something is excellent raw, why cook it?

By the way, I've been to France several times. I grew up in New Orleans thinking that I was enjoying real French food, and I loved it. I have never been so underwhelmed by a country's true cuisine. Real French food kind of sucks. Heck, they even ruin sandwiches there. Believe it or not, I found better food in Ireland of all places. I didn't just slum around at cafe's and brasseries either. I hit some really well known restaurants. Everthing needed Tony Chachere's, which I was smart enough to have with me. Never go overseas without Tony's. :D

For a country so well known for it's food, France is a real disappointment. Kind of like reading about Napoleon and then looking at France's military "accomplishments" (Read constant surrender) since Waterloo.

When in doubt, just order more escargot. You can't go wrong with that.

dbarham
05-12-2009, 05:26 PM
ooohh

Gerald
05-12-2009, 05:58 PM
Carrots.......we offen [well...sometimes] eat carrots as a snack or appetizer.

Last fall, I would fix a big salad with stuff from the garden. I woud top the salad with "shavings" from carrots. I would sometimes make a meal of just a salad.

My spring garden is doing terrible......don't know when or if I will get to make a salad.

When making a stew.....I got to cook the carrots.

txjoker
05-12-2009, 06:31 PM
I would substitute the carrots for some fresh garlic any day. :thumbsup: I could actually do without the celery, too. lmao Honestly, I don't know much at all about Cajun cooking. I know I love me some crawfish. Other than that, the only other thing I knew was that I had heard a mirepoix was onions, carrots, and celery. Glad to see you and coach are mixing it up a bit!

I didn't even know that the "Holy Trinity" was different for French and Cajun cooking. I kind of figured that the Cajun evolved from the French.

LittleRob
05-13-2009, 03:17 PM
Fresh is the key we have a farmers market in town every once in a while and it floors my wife how food tastes totally different when it is fresh, onions, bellpepper, GARLIC,
I bet you could make a boot taste good with that.

coachlaw
05-13-2009, 03:54 PM
Garlic always goes in near the end. If'n you cook it too long, it can become bitter. But that's why it's not part of the "holy trinity". I use it a lot, both for marinades and a finisher.

txjoker
05-13-2009, 04:00 PM
Didn't know that about garlic. Interesting

killa k
05-16-2009, 08:00 PM
to me nothing smells better than when onions, peppers, and garlic hit the bottom of a pot and start to simmer. Start most of my meals that way and then just start putting stuff in with it, never a complaint, except "There's not any more!?!"

Hackberry Hustler
05-16-2009, 08:06 PM
Sounds good killa, I can smell it now!!!!!!!!!

eman
05-24-2009, 08:20 AM
I found the trinity + garlic dehydrated in the spice section at albertsons. run this thru a coffee/spice grinder till you have a powder.
I use it w/ most everything. it doesn't take the place of fresh trinity but adds flavor to those dishes that you have to cook for a long time and is great for seasoning any meat / fish / fowl.

RaginCagin
06-16-2009, 11:52 AM
I always thought celery was more of a new orelans thing? I personally cant stand it. I always start with yellow onion, bell pepper, garlic, and gren onions.

LittleRob
06-16-2009, 12:20 PM
I cut my celery small the kids don't like it.