PDA

View Full Version : A week in Johnson Bayou

ElectricChicken
10-08-2011, 09:54 AM
Wife and I celebrated our 22nd anniversary by renting a camp in JB for a week. What a woman! Showed her pictures of condo's in Destin- she said she would rather go to JB. What a blessing! We arrived on 9-28 and here is the run down.
9-29: Went to BL and it was rough. Caught 5 trout and 1 red and almost got caught by a storm.
9-30: Too windy to fish so we caught 42 crabs in the West Cove Canal. Crab boil that night- delicous.
10-1: More wind and more crabs.
10-2: Wife stayed back and I went solo. Caught a limit of Reds and 10 nice trout on a reef in West Cove Bay. Skitterwalks and H&H Sparkle/Chart tail.
10-3: A buddy and his wife came meet us and starting Monday morning it was on! STITM ( Speckle Trout In The Mouth). Limit of specs and reds.
10-4: Limit of specs and 1 red.
10-5: Fished the morning and caught 33 before 9:30am.
We never left West Cove. We had sunshine everyday except the first day we fished and after Saturday the wind was good enough to fish where I wanted. Ate Crab/Shrimp Gumbo, Fish Tacos, Boiled crabs etc. etc. - Restaurant! Did not take a lot of pics but here are a few. First one from the porch of the camp we rented which was the ticket.

SaltyShaw
10-08-2011, 09:58 AM
Nice!! Thats a hell of a way to spend a week!!
Congrats on 22 years as well!

jdm4x43732
10-08-2011, 10:02 AM
Nice trip. We went to Holly Beach this past weekend, but I had my four kids with me and we let them do all the fishing. They didn't catch much but they had a blast. They had more fun looking for sea shells, silly girls, but oh well we still had a blast. Glad you had a good time on your anniversary trip!!!!

Kenner18
10-08-2011, 10:10 AM
Sounds Like a nice way to spend the week and anniversary .

mcjaredsandwich
10-08-2011, 10:18 AM
Nice!! Thats a hell of a way to spend a week!!
Congrats on 22 years as well!
x2 thats an awesome week right there!!

ElectricChicken
10-08-2011, 10:27 AM
Thanks guys. Salty, my Speckle Trout Skitter has been damaged! The trout have busted chunks of the finish off. Hate to throw away a good bait. Do you paint yours after that happens? Any suggestions?

DUCKGOGETTER
10-08-2011, 10:33 AM
Congrats on the anniversary and one heck of a trip

Bluechip
10-08-2011, 11:32 AM
Thanks guys. Salty, my Speckle Trout Skitter has been damaged! The trout have busted chunks of the finish off. Hate to throw away a good bait. Do you paint yours after that happens? Any suggestions?

Just keep throwing that bait. I have several with a lot of paint missing.

SaltyShaw
10-08-2011, 11:41 AM
Just keep throwing that bait. I have several with a lot of paint missing.

Ditto!
Keep chunkin dat dude, go buy you another one as back up. Throw that one until its starts taking on water then its time to bust out the back up lol

ElectricChicken
10-08-2011, 07:08 PM
10-4

bmac
10-08-2011, 08:34 PM
Congrats on the 22yrs. Not alot make it ghat far!

Would you mind pm me info on the cabin?
Thanks

eman
10-08-2011, 08:49 PM
There has always been folks that say , that one bait out of 100 catches fish better than the rest. Maybe something different about that one or may be superstition.
my grandpa had two old wooden river runts that he said were magic . he could be fishing the same bait same color and not catchin . But he'd tie on one of these and catch fish. confidence in the lure? The bait?

saltysully
10-08-2011, 08:52 PM
Wife and I celebrated our 22nd anniversary by renting a camp in JB for a week. What a woman! Showed her pictures of condo's in Destin- she said she would rather go to JB. What a blessing! We arrived on 9-28 and here is the run down.
9-29: Went to BL and it was rough. Caught 5 trout and 1 red and almost got caught by a storm.
9-30: Too windy to fish so we caught 42 crabs in the West Cove Canal. Crab boil that night- delicous.
10-1: More wind and more crabs.
10-2: Wife stayed back and I went solo. Caught a limit of Reds and 10 nice trout on a reef in West Cove Bay. Skitterwalks and H&H Sparkle/Chart tail.
10-3: A buddy and his wife came meet us and starting Monday morning it was on! STITM ( Speckle Trout In The Mouth). Limit of specs and reds.
10-4: Limit of specs and 1 red.
10-5: Fished the morning and caught 33 before 9:30am.
We never left West Cove. We had sunshine everyday except the first day we fished and after Saturday the wind was good enough to fish where I wanted. Ate Crab/Shrimp Gumbo, Fish Tacos, Boiled crabs etc. etc. - Restaurant! Did not take a lot of pics but here are a few. First one from the porch of the camp we rented which was the ticket.

Where do you go to catch crabs in west cove?

shellman
10-08-2011, 09:25 PM
Sounds like funz...

Gerald
10-09-2011, 01:37 AM
Ditto!
Keep chunkin dat dude, go buy you another one as back up. Throw that one until its starts taking on water then its time to bust out the back up lol

That is what Silicon is for..... plug up that hole and keep on fishing.

ElectricChicken
10-11-2011, 09:18 AM
Saltysully, We caught all of our crabs along the south bank of the canal right past the second cut coming out of the marsh on the right. About 400 yards from the landing. We had some real nice ones and some medium ones that were great for the gumbo. We ran 3 crab nets over the side of the boat and i had 2 rods with a mullet hooked on a jig head. Lets you vary the depth as the tide moves and water level drops. Warning: DO NOT LAY DOWN A ROD WITH A WHOLE MULLET AND A JIG HEAD ON IT! I did that with my wife's zebco and a redfish or something big took the whole setup over the side of the boat. It still out there. Might be in the ship channel by now.

YellowMouth7
10-11-2011, 09:55 AM
Man what an awesome week......how much was the camp for the week?

SaltERedneck
10-11-2011, 10:59 AM
thats one heck of a trip!

ElectricChicken
10-11-2011, 02:54 PM
Camp was $125 per for 7 nights. The guy is a fisherman so the camp is rigged that way. Good cleaning table etc. Go to johnsonbayoubeachrental.com. His web site just got up and he has some great pictures of everything so you can see what you get. For a trip with the wife it was perfect.

lavocat
10-11-2011, 03:01 PM
The website as you have it typed does not come up. Sounds like a great week and a great wife!

Tete Dur
10-11-2011, 03:57 PM
Just google what he put as the website. It'll pop up on the first page of the search.

ElectricChicken
10-12-2011, 03:00 PM
Should have had an s on rental. Sorry. I do have a great wife and life! What can I say- God is good!