PDA

View Full Version : Public Land hunt

Gerald
10-19-2011, 06:45 PM
Friday Oct 14….

Another cool front had come through the day before and the temp.was in the low 50’s that morning. The winds were calm and the overhead moon was just past full, so walking in before daylight was fairly easy.

I climbed up my tree and got settled in just as it was getting light….a little later than I planned. About 7:30 I heard an acorn hit the ground and the first squirrel was feeding in a nearby oak tree. All was quiet as the sun started to rise higher in the sky, until a squirrel started barking off in the distance. A little later I heard a Deer blowing….. ~ 300+ yards away. Then after a few minutes I hear the Deer blowing again ~200 yards away. Hummmmmm! I turned the “Can” call over a few times…. You never know, it might work.

The next hour passed with another squirrel barking and a “screech” like noise that I think was from an Owl. The wind started blowing a little, but then would stop for a while.

Then at 9:30 AM, I hear some leaves rustling noise coming from behind my tree. I heard the noise a couple more times and was not sure what was back in the thick brush. I stood up to look but can only see 15 yards. A couple minutes pass, and I spotted a deer headed my way. At first I could not see if it was a Buck or Doe, until it walked passed a spot where I could see that it had short antlers.

The Buck stopped just before coming out to an open spot and stood behind a large oak tree where I could only see just his head. The Buck was a 4 pt [3 x 1]. He stood there looking around and looked up towards me while I stood motionless ready to draw back my bow. When the Buck started walking, I drew back. As I aimed for the heart on the Deer, he was turning to head away from me. I quickly lined up my 20 yard pin and released the arrow.

As the Nockturnal nock flew to the deer….. I had the feeling that I had made a bad shot. As the Buck took off running, I could see the bright red light sticking out from the right hip and it looked like the arrow did not get good penetration. The deer ran 60 yards before I lost sight of it. All kinds of thoughts went threw my mind. Was it a fatal shot, would there be any blood to track the deer, would he run a long ways before it bedded down? I decided to give it 2 hours before starting the search.

After 30 min. I climbed down and quietly walked to see if there was much blood to trail. After searching the first 15 yards, I started finding some blood…. Much more blood than I expected. This gave me some hope. I then took the climber off the tree and walked back to my truck. After waiting a while, I got my cart [thinking positive] and headed back to start looking.

When I got back to the blood trail and followed it a little ways, I just had the feeling this deer was loosing too much blood from the Thunderhead’s damage to go far. Sure enough after 75 yards, there he was. I approached with arrow knocked, but the deer was dead. My thoughts went to “where was the arrow”? Then I looked under the right hip, and I could see the lighted nock and some of the fletching sticking out. The arrow flight was true to its mark [the heart] but it stopped a few inches short. The arrow just missed the leg bone going in. Two hours later I was headed home after making my second hunt of the year at Clear Creek WMA.

iron man
10-19-2011, 06:50 PM
Wow, had me thinkin you hit the front. Gets me excited to go tomorrow.

iron man
10-19-2011, 06:50 PM
Oh nice...

1fastmerc
10-19-2011, 06:56 PM
I miss seeing the sight of blood on the leaves and tracking the deer.

Gerald
10-19-2011, 06:59 PM
I miss seeing the sight of blood on the leaves and tracking the deer.

Tracking this one was very easy, most 3 year olds could have found this deer.

LaAngler
10-19-2011, 07:19 PM
nice kill and story mr gerald

Kenner18
10-19-2011, 07:32 PM
Way to go G-money !

Country Boy
10-19-2011, 08:41 PM
Nice kill man, i shot one in the same spot a few years back, it was a 40 yard shot, he turned right when i let the arrow go and caught him in the rear end, congrats!

1fastmerc
10-19-2011, 09:00 PM
Tracking this one was very easy, most 3 year olds could have found this deer.

Looks like it had made a huge entrance wound.

jchief
10-19-2011, 09:26 PM
Nice Gearld. How far you walking? If you want some company sometime, give me a holler.

They all trophies with a bow.

Montauk17
10-19-2011, 11:26 PM
Good kill,makes it that much sweeter with a bow!

Gerald
10-19-2011, 11:48 PM
This spot is only about 1/4 mile, but is about 70 foot down hill to this spot. Other spots are 1/2 mile or more walk with some hills.

I know of one spot that is ~ .3+ mile and the walk is fairly easy. You can hunt from the ground on top of a hill looking over a fairly big area.

If you can climb a pine tree..... I got a good rifle spot near the road over looking a big cutover. I passed shooting a spike there last year.

If you can get a WMA "Physically Challenged" permit...... you can be set up in the "limited use" hunting area. I have seen some deer taken from that area.

Have you seen anything good at your lease?

DUCKGOGETTER
10-20-2011, 07:32 AM
Nice deer congrats

jchief
10-20-2011, 02:54 PM
Seeing lots, at night on my cameras. They have killed 12 so far, 2 on youth hunts.

I can climb, I have a summit that I love. Shooting a crossbow for bow hunting. Have the physically challenged permit also. Don't know if that will let me hunt that area.

Been wantingi to ride up there. May go one day next week.

stay on em.

BIGJ
10-20-2011, 07:03 PM
Nice one Gerald.