PDA

View Full Version : Predator Pescador 10'- Advice Please!!

ElectricChicken
11-15-2011, 03:59 PM
Hey guys, my sister has a Toyota Camry. She loves to fish and I told her about you guys that kayak. She is pumped. She just fishes from the bank wherever she can. We looked at Academy Sports website and saw the 10' Pescador. Quetsions:
1) She would not go out from the bank very far. Probably Vermillion Bay right at the state park or beach when its calm. Would that yak work for her?
2) She would need to be able to load it up on the top of her car. She is athletic but doesn't need to heavy. Any problems with this one?
3) What kind of rack system would she need for that kind of yak?

I really appreciate any help.

Lake Chuck Duck
11-15-2011, 04:22 PM
My sister got a yak recently and she loves it. Doesnt fish much from it, but she met some people from a yak club and they just go on kayak adventures all the time. She has rack on top of here scion xb. I think she normally has help loading and unloading though. I will try and get a name of the yak rack.

bmac
11-15-2011, 04:56 PM
I'd recommend the 12' that academy has over the 10'. The shorter the yak, the faster it turns, which means as soon as she stops paddling she will start turning sideways in the smaller one. That's a pain when trying to fish.

ElectricChicken
11-15-2011, 07:06 PM
Does anyone rig up a small rudder on the back to stop that from happening so bad? It has a handle on the back of the yak and i am thinking something could be built to hang off of that handle to help.

Raymond
11-15-2011, 08:48 PM
12' would be the min length for a fishing or touring yak. 10' is not enough displacement to turn or track well and weigh differential can't be that great between the two. Get her to test drive each and she will choose the 12' pescador.

bmac
11-15-2011, 10:49 PM
you can buy a rudder for something like $150. Check out austin canoe and kayak (google) or Pack and Paddle if she can get to Lafayette.

ElectricChicken
11-17-2011, 04:44 PM
She bought the 10' because she was concerned about loading the 12' and the price was right. Now that she has it she will certainly make the best out of it and I will see what I can do to help her on the boat turning so much.
I saw at Academy they had 2 different anchor systems. One was 3 3.5lb anchor and the other was 1.5. Which would be the best for her yak? Thanks for all the advice guys.

Raymond
11-18-2011, 12:09 PM
3.5 on anchor, if she doesn't like it let me know. May purchase that 10' for my son in December.

RAGINJROB
11-18-2011, 03:29 PM
Use a 3 lb dumbell. She won't have to worry about being snagged with a claw anchor.

ElectricChicken
11-18-2011, 07:43 PM
Raymond, I will let you know if she has a change of heart. She is picking it up Tuesday. Ragin, I hadn't thought about getting snagged. Reckon you could get snagged to the point of not being able to get the anchor out at all. I will pass this on to her. I really appreciate the input. Saves time, money and unnecessary heartache.

RAGINJROB
11-21-2011, 09:45 AM
EC. I have lost 2 of those 3.5 claw anchors in the cove. I went to a 5lb dumbell and haven't had the first problem. I use a heavier one just because I fish out of a bigger yak. She will just need to find the one right for her.
PNP sells dumbells made for yaks also. Think they are called Red Heads.

ElectricChicken
12-06-2011, 01:55 PM
EC. I have lost 2 of those 3.5 claw anchors in the cove. I went to a 5lb dumbell and haven't had the first problem. I use a heavier one just because I fish out of a bigger yak. She will just need to find the one right for her.
PNP sells dumbells made for yaks also. Think they are called Red Heads.

Ray, my sis cancelled the 10' and bought the 12' Pescador and could not be happier. She puts it on and off her car with no problems. Raginjrob, I had a 5 lb dumbell in the shop and she is using that and said it works great. She has went twice and caught both times. Thanks to all of you for your advice. As you can see I (and her) take your advice to heart and I was glad to be able to steer her in the right direction. All the tips have proven to be very valuable and I am sure have saved unnecessary troubles. Here are some pics from her first trip. 7 trout total and a 4 lb trout first trip! Those fish may be in trouble.

Jordan
12-06-2011, 02:06 PM
nice job on the fish !!!

Dink
12-06-2011, 02:49 PM
Hmmmm......athletic sister eh? Pics or she doesn't exist!! Lol!!

RAGINJROB
12-06-2011, 04:14 PM
Outstanding first trip!

Gerald
12-07-2011, 12:09 AM
That net won't do much good down there!

That rig looks real nice.