PDA

View Full Version : pirogue

youu_whoo_whoo
12-13-2011, 06:32 PM
Im considering building a pirogue. Does anyone know a set of good plans to use and has anyone ever done this before. I have experience with the woodworking aspect, but how would you seal it? Could you just use something waterproof and prime and paint the wood instead of using fiberglass? I have no experience with fiberglass and would like to stay away from it if possible.

Thanks for any advice, tips, and suggestions.

Feesherman
12-15-2011, 08:54 AM
Im considering building a pirogue. Does anyone know a set of good plans to use and has anyone ever done this before. I have experience with the woodworking aspect, but how would you seal it? Could you just use something waterproof and prime and paint the wood instead of using fiberglass? I have no experience with fiberglass and would like to stay away from it if possible.

Thanks for any advice, tips, and suggestions.

You can use epoxy paint.

simplepeddler
12-15-2011, 10:27 AM
Check out Gatorboats.com go to the forum.........all your boat DIY questions and answers are there.

evidrine
12-15-2011, 10:28 AM
If you seal the wood right or use a marine grade plywood you wouldn't have to fiberglass the whole thing. Just the seams with fiberglass tape and a resin epoxy. Not that difficult and better in the long run. If your going through the trouble of building I would do it right and make it last longer. You can get the resin and fiberglass tape on ebay for fairly cheap.

genegillis5
09-08-2013, 02:13 PM
LSU agriculture dept has pirogue plans for free download. I've built several and they were easy for me and a grandson to use. Instead of using fiberglass on the seams we bought the polyurathane glue in a calking gun at Home deoot and it worked very good. Moisture swells the calking up a little. Then we painted the outside with an oil or plourathane epoxy paint and the inside we brushed linseed oil and mineral spirtits 1/2 & 1/2.Also check out southern paddler.com forum for answers.

silver_snipe
11-18-2013, 07:01 PM
Check out uncle john I think it is. They sell plans and cypress rib sets. I built one using their ribs. It came out ok. I'm no carpenter by any means. I did tape the seams and used epoxy to cover all the wood.

Vermillionaire
11-18-2013, 07:38 PM
I have a pirogue that was built in Cecila about 30yrs ago. It's no good anymore but you can have it and use it for ideas or fire wood.

Ray
11-18-2013, 10:05 PM
http://unclejohns.com/

rr41mag
12-10-2013, 05:57 AM
this is the one I'm going by

http://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-outdoor-photos/252406-building-2-man-pirogue.html

rr41mag
12-16-2013, 08:28 PM
fiberglass is not that hard just take your time