PDA

View Full Version : Braid

Keith_Stone
02-24-2012, 12:33 PM
Have been using Briaded line on my spinning reels for years and Mono on my Bait cast. I was recently thinking about running braid on my bait cast as well. Anyone using braid on their bait cast reels. Any pros or cons to using one vs. the other. Also is their a particular diameter line to use that will help reduce the chances of the braid being sucked down into the spool when landing larger fish ?

PaulMyers
02-24-2012, 12:39 PM
I use Power Pro and Finns on all of my reels. I also spool everything up with 30ld braid. I have never had an issue with the line pulling down into the spool even when I get Hung up.

+1

bgizzle
02-24-2012, 01:00 PM
Me neither, I use a smaller size braid on my spin cast like 15lb braid so I can launch that sucker and 20 on my bait casts never had the digging issues... That fins braid is ok in my book but I like suffix and power pro better

noodle creek
02-24-2012, 01:02 PM
suffix 20# or 30#

eman
02-24-2012, 01:10 PM
30 lb PP on everything but one spinning and one casting. Mono w/ floro leader on those 2 for real clear water and bed fishing.

mcjaredsandwich
02-24-2012, 01:19 PM
I fish mono on my baitcasters for jiggin, braid for topwaters and suspending baits. A lot of people throw braid on everything. I used to exclusively spool up 30lb powerpro, but lost a few expensive baits due to the line digging on a hangup when I made the next cast.

I like the stretch of mono

Keith_Stone
02-24-2012, 02:27 PM
Thanks for all the input. I think I am gonna leave one bait rigged with mono and switch the rest to braid, thanks fellas !!

fishinpox
02-24-2012, 03:17 PM
20# lb pp on everything with a 15-20 lb Fluor leader except on TW bait I don't use a leader

Montauk17
02-24-2012, 04:03 PM
I use 30 lb power pro or sufix 832 with a small swivel attached to about 18" of floro leader for single hook lures. For topwater and plugs I use 17lb stren original. I like the stretch with mono with treble hook lures.

Chem Man
02-24-2012, 10:24 PM
I use braided line quiet a bit for bass fishing. Flipping heavy cover braid is great, line of choice unless bit slows then I go to fluorocarbon 20-25lbs. Braid also works well on top water because line does not sink, less drag when setting the hook. Smaller diamator braid is easier to cast but if you use it say with bigger hooks 5/0, anything under 40lb braid can slip threw the gap in the eye of the hook. Use super glue to eleminate this or double tie. Fished some down in Texas and boys fishing red fish use 20 powerpro with a 20 lb fluorocarbon leader. Found most braid cast well but prefer using Daiwa Samurai. Good thing with braid is it last a long time at least in fresh water, I do not personally use it for salt water. But yes it can dig into your spool if you have drag set to tight. Remeber braid does not streach so unless flipping you do not need to have your drag set as tight as when you are using mono or fluorocarbon.

Raymond
02-25-2012, 02:48 PM
PP slik8, and 832, prefer slik8 20# over any braid I have used. Tighten drag down and tye to 2 rows of base mono on spool, wind it on as tight as u can. Quit floro a couple weeks ago and haven't had a problem slinging $10 baits off since. Using 25# big game as leader now, smaller knot and not as brittle as floro. I also turned a second brake on to eliminate the overun that causes the sudden stop.

Tightline11
02-25-2012, 03:04 PM
I have read all the above and have had the same problems. Used some Fins for the first time and it is the shock absorbing line and didn't have to do none of the above and it cast better and the knots or a lot easier to tie because the line has a better rounded shape. I was just testing it and it's is looking good so far.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk