PDA

View Full Version : Removing Light surface Rust

Matt G
02-26-2012, 12:50 PM
My buddies and I went shooting last Saturday during the downpour, and I thought I cleaned my guns good enough, but apparently not. When I grabbed them out the cabinet this morning they all had some light surface rust on them:pissed:. What's a good tool/chemical to use to remove the rust without messing up the bluing on the gun? Or am I just screwed? Thanks in advance.

southern151
02-26-2012, 01:16 PM
RemOil. Does great for light surface rust. Apply with a paper towel and lightly scrub on it. Works on mine.

youu_whoo_whoo
02-26-2012, 02:15 PM
I agree, the rem oil has worked well for me after hunts in morgan city and venice.

Matt G
02-26-2012, 02:25 PM
Thanks. I had heard somewhere about a brass bristle brush, but I tried once on my .22 and it stripped the bluing off the barrel, and I didn't want that to happen again.

Tightline11
02-26-2012, 04:41 PM
Put a good coat of rem oil on the entire weapon and let it sit if you want to scrub it in then use a plastic bristle brush not any metal brush. If you rub it on good enough and let it sit for a day then wipe it down with a slightly oil rag on a speciality rag that stays oily to the touch you don't have to worry about the surface rust and it should just wipe off.

MathGeek
03-27-2012, 08:51 AM
I agree. Rem oil and some light rubbing does the job. If a cloth is not quite abrasive enough, I'll use a scrub pad of the type used for dishes.