PDA

View Full Version : Academy rod warranty

redaddiction
04-02-2012, 01:28 PM
Anyone know if Academy will replace a rod without having the receipt? Snapped one in half on a red fish this weekend. It was a Castaway rod if that make's any difference.

1fastmerc
04-02-2012, 01:38 PM
They've done it for me on several occasions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Capt.B
04-02-2012, 01:43 PM
Yeah as long as it is the same rod

Montauk17
04-02-2012, 01:46 PM
Last time I tried at the one on ambassador thrywould not give me another one without a one.

Asterisk-Rich
04-02-2012, 02:07 PM
done it a few times...plan on doing it one day this week as soon as i have some time to run over there.

BigAl
04-02-2012, 02:10 PM
Yep, done it before

Gerald
04-02-2012, 04:13 PM
The Lake Charles store would NOT repace my broken Castaway a few years ago and I had the receipt which was only a few months old. I even talked to a manager. I have not bought another rod from Academy sence then.

I have seen other post where some Academy stores will replace a broken rod.....no questions.

MathGeek
04-02-2012, 04:17 PM
That's why I love Ugly Sticks. They are nearly indestructable. We were in our seventh season fishing with them before we managed to break the first one. When we have broken them, it has been due to such extraodinary abuse that I don't think I could ask for warranty service with a clear conscience. We've got around 20 of them now.

BIG RED 1983
04-02-2012, 04:27 PM
my buddy purchased a gloomis rod from them a couple of years ago broke 2 weeks after he had it took it back and they would not accept it said he had to send it to manufacture for replacement the mgr did give him a rod tube though

another buddy broke an all star 2 months after he had it and they replaced it with no questions

so i guess it depends on the make of the rod

inchspinner
04-02-2012, 05:22 PM
Academy has a contract with all-star

Montauk17
04-02-2012, 05:25 PM
All star is some poo now......the older ones were very tough before they starting making them in china.

gasdad
04-02-2012, 05:33 PM
Had a G Loomis rod that broke less than a year after purchase,I sent it back to manufacturer--postage was paid both ways by them BTW. New one from G Loomis sent back to me at no charge. That being said, Academy has changed their policy about broken rod returns because of abuse by certain individuals. Check with them now before a rod purchase as their return rules are not as lenient as before. Doubt Academy will give you another Castaway without receipt so maybe you can call the manufacturer directly and they may give you a new one or one for a reduced price.

Raymond
04-02-2012, 09:51 PM
Falcon is the only in store replacement rod they sell. Castaway aren't worth sending back after you pay shipping both ways and replacement charge.

redaddiction
04-26-2012, 12:13 AM
Well i tried at the new Academy in Lafayette and they pretty much laughed at me and said no way. So screw em, I'm gonna go buy the same rod and wait a little while and return the broken on with that receipt.

SaltyShaw
04-26-2012, 12:23 AM
Well i tried at the new Academy in Lafayette and they pretty much laughed at me and said no way. So screw em, I'm gonna go buy the same rod and wait a little while and return the broken on with that receipt.

Loop hole!!

Salty
04-26-2012, 12:35 AM

Academy has changed their policy about broken rod returns because of abuse by certain individuals.

:smokin:

SaltyShaw
04-26-2012, 12:45 AM
:smokin:

how did i know that was coming :D

Salty
04-26-2012, 12:47 AM
how did i know that was coming :D

I have no idea. :confused:

I'm surprised you did. :smokin:

SaltyShaw
04-26-2012, 12:58 AM
Ssvms . . . . .

specktator
04-26-2012, 07:55 AM
Asterisk snapped a year-old carrot stick a few weeks back and brought it to Academy on Louisiana Ave with no receipt and they gave him a brand new one, no questions.

weedeater
04-26-2012, 08:59 AM

Then wait a few more days and bring it back and get you a Falcon or something that they will replace with less questions:smokin:

Purple Back
04-26-2012, 09:03 AM
I have brought shimano's, Falcons, etc. to academy in LC and every time they replace no questions asked, and I have never had a receipt.

eman
04-26-2012, 10:24 AM
Acadamey must let store Mgrs set policy? One day no problems returning anything next time they won't even think about it.

redaddiction
04-26-2012, 10:32 AM
Then wait a few more days and bring it back and get you a Falcon or something that they will replace with less questions:smokin:

Yeah, and he told me if it was All Star he would take it back because it's their store brand now and everything else is done thru the MFG. I know that's BS because i know people return rods all the time.

dmtfish
04-26-2012, 12:55 PM
All star is some poo now......the older ones were very tough before they starting making them in china.

Agree total crap now.... And ditto on the amb caffery location... THey would not take back my all star rod (had receipt)... All star wanted me to pay a 20$ processing fee and no guarantee they would replace the rod... The rod broke first trip out while setting the hook! Never again will I buy an All Star rod

Kenner18
04-26-2012, 09:17 PM
In the last month or so I exchanged 2 allstars at academy.No problem.