PDA

View Full Version : Can someone tell me the answer?

Marshrat
04-11-2012, 09:23 PM
I have found an aluminum trailer for a very good deal, but the owner doesn't have a title on it. He will give me a clear bill of sale.

Can this trailer be registered under my name with just a bill of sale? I haven't had a chance but plan on calling the DMV when I get time.

Thanks

Warren

simplepeddler
04-11-2012, 09:32 PM
nope.......

jchief
04-11-2012, 09:33 PM
Don't think so. The current owner will have to file for a lost title

Finfeatherfur
I have found an aluminum trailer for a very good deal, but the owner doesn't have a title on it. He will give me a clear bill of sale.

Can this trailer be registered under my name with just a bill of sale? I haven't had a chance but plan on calling the DMV when I get time.

Thanks

Warren

If the trailer has NEVER been registered then you can pay taxes and register the trailer in your name. If the trailer has been registered before, you will need to track down the original owner and get a title transferred to you. Usually, this means a lost title form needs to be filed so he has a title to sign over.

I have found that people who sell trailers w/o titles have bought/acquired trailers without the proper paperwork, then sell them without titles. Hope this helps, if you have problems, get the VIN and call me.

southern151
nope.......

What he said^^^

barbarian
04-11-2012, 09:39 PM
What if the guy lives in Texas where the trailers do not have titles? Hypothetically speaking of course. ;)

southern151
04-11-2012, 09:43 PM
What if the guy lives in Texas where the trailers do not have titles? Hypothetically speaking of course. ;)

I thought all new trailers came with a title? I know in ok, no one keeps em past the day of purchase though.

barbarian
04-12-2012, 06:30 AM
I thought all new trailers came with a title? I know in ok, no one keeps em past the day of purchase though.

More than once since moving to TX, I've bought a boat from a state that has titles for their trailers. When registering at the DMV in TX, they only ask for the bill of sale. Actually the first time, I brought the title in with me and they gave it back to me saying they didn't need it. They only register the trailer for plates. TX has titles on the boat and motor. I have never had a title for a trailer in TX out of over 10 ownerships. So if you bought my trailer, all I would have was a bill of sale. Louisiana would have to issue you a new title just like when I buy a boat or motor from LA, Texas has to issue a new title. It should be a pretty simple and standard process on the trailer if it came from TX. ;)

Kajundave
04-12-2012, 07:05 AM
It can be done, pm me, I can explain in detail

weedeater
04-12-2012, 07:36 AM
Its a lot of fun buying a trailer or anything else that has a registration and will be registered and titled in Louisiana..... it seems like overtime I buy somethin it comes from Texas and Louisiana wants something new in the form of paperwork.

Finfeatherfur
04-12-2012, 07:56 AM
You need a "Certificate of Origin" for that case which is given out by the manufacturer to the dealer that makes the first sell of the trailer. Now, if it is homemade......never mind.

Garfish
04-12-2012, 07:57 AM
What if the original owner died and left the trailer to sit and someone "acquired" it like in an estate sale or other means(in La.)? Could they register it in their name?

Dink
04-12-2012, 09:43 AM
Call me, ill go over it with you. 247-8465 Tim