PDA

View Full Version : Jugg Lines

7and7fish
04-16-2012, 03:16 PM
Made a few modifications to my noodles. Added eyelets and snap clips. Easy to snap on spare rig if one is broke. Second eye can be added on opposite end for weight. Whent to circle hooks missed to many on keil.

Red Devil
04-16-2012, 03:19 PM
Noose, you are the king of juggin that's for sure.

papap
04-16-2012, 03:24 PM
Looks good

Keywest18
04-16-2012, 04:02 PM
I just made mine last week. I really like the idea of a snap clips.I seen a guy that put a railroad spike inside it and when a fish would tug on itvthe spike would slide and stand it straight up.

FF_T_Warren
04-16-2012, 04:20 PM
nice set ups

jchief
04-16-2012, 04:24 PM
I just made mine last week. I really like the idea of a snap clips.I seen a guy that put a railroad spike inside it and when a fish would tug on itvthe spike would slide and stand it straight up.

That is how mine are made. I use rebar and when a fish hits it flips up right

elebouef
04-16-2012, 04:25 PM
Looks good. Hope whoever was in the Intracoastal Saturday with his young kid doesn't like them as much as he liked mine. He picked one up with a fish on it and hauled butt before I could get to him.
Guess that his daddy must of taught him to steal from others, so he is teaching his young one how to do.

cmcnabb
04-16-2012, 04:32 PM
Looks good. Hope whoever was in the Intracoastal Saturday with his young kid doesn't like them as much as he liked mine. He picked one up with a fish on it and hauled butt before I could get to him.
Guess that his daddy must of taught him to steal from others, so he is teaching his young one how to do.

People who steal fish off other peoples lines really piss me off. It's not hard to catch a damn catfish

7and7fish
04-16-2012, 04:44 PM
Had a guy doing that the other night on the river. Never could catch him. these juggs were made before i heard of the inside weight idea. May cutt off cap and weight them next time i modify.

1fastmerc
04-16-2012, 05:51 PM

What part of the intracoastol. I'm going out there with my wife and kids this Saturday. I'm going to have some of my uncles jug lines. He gave me strict instructions on not losing them. I'd be ticked off if I caught someone doing that to mine. The other weekend on the Calcaseau river I had some missing every morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

weedeater
04-16-2012, 06:06 PM
What part of the intracoastol. I'm going out there with my wife and kids this Saturday. I'm going to have some of my uncles jug lines. He gave me strict instructions on not losing them. I'd be ticked off if I caught someone doing that to mine. The other weekend on the Calcaseau river I had some missing every morning.

does he know you are using them? maybe you should ask him what bait to use:rolleyes: and where to get it:cool:...moron

1fastmerc
04-16-2012, 06:21 PM
does he know you are using them? maybe you should ask him what bait to use:rolleyes: and where to get it:cool:...moron

I did stupid.

Hydro
04-16-2012, 06:30 PM
Thats some fancy "high-speed" jug setups :grinpimp:

weedeater
04-16-2012, 06:36 PM
I did stupid.

and what did he tell you and where did he say to get it:confused::smokin:

1fastmerc
04-16-2012, 06:43 PM
and what did he tell you and where did he say to get it:confused::smokin:

Ole man hooper. You drive out there and get it fer me.

weedeater
04-16-2012, 06:57 PM
Ole man hooper. You drive out there and get it fer me.

you can get it on hwy 14 at the fish market

1fastmerc
04-16-2012, 07:15 PM
you can get it on hwy 14 at the fish market

I'm gonna give em a call tomorrow.

hankscke123
04-16-2012, 07:20 PM
I quit running my limb lines because everyone else was checking them for me lol.im on to the white perch next hopefully

weedeater
04-16-2012, 07:22 PM
I'm gonna give em a call tomorrow.

call the chicken house on hwy 90 and get some beef melt to try also

yigodiver
04-16-2012, 07:57 PM
What is the law on jugsi n LA, how many total, number of hooks per line and any label requirements?
Texas and Ok have some crazy laws when it comes to jug lines

bluewing
04-16-2012, 07:57 PM
seems like they would end up on the bank with no weight

1fastmerc
04-16-2012, 08:11 PM
What is the law on jugsi n LA, how many total, number of hooks per line and any label requirements?

As far as I know there is limit.

7and7fish
04-16-2012, 08:14 PM
I don't leave mine out. Running in shallow bays and drifting them down wind.

cduhon
04-16-2012, 08:25 PM
I have been stopped in Sabine and game warden told me 10 jugs and all must have my name, address, phone number and license # on them. Not sure the rules elsewhere

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

1fastmerc
04-16-2012, 08:30 PM
I have been stopped in Sabine and game warden told me 10 jugs and all must have my name, address, phone number and license # on them. Not sure the rules elsewhere

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

I think thats because it has something to do with texas.

elebouef
04-16-2012, 08:40 PM

I had them starting where the Lacassine and Icy(205) crosses coming back toward the east. The wind was something fierce that day

1fastmerc
04-16-2012, 08:48 PM
I had them starting where the Lacassine and Icy(205) crosses coming back toward the east. The wind was something fierce that day

That's sounds like the area I'll be in Saturday. Hopefully u don't encounter anybody stealing my stuff. It may get ugly.

Marshrat
04-16-2012, 08:59 PM

There is no limit on the amount of hooks you have out. The only restrictions are on the amount of fish you can have. You are allowed 100 catfish of any one species or a combination of channel, blue or flathead catfish. You can have only 25 fish that measure less than the minimum size limit, blue = 12", channel = 11" and flathead = 14".

Warren

T-Bone
04-17-2012, 07:27 AM
This jug line thing has really peaked my interest. A few questions. Is the hook touching bottom or is it free floating? Do you use a weight on bottom to hold in one spot? Do you tie the noodle to a tree or limb so it doesn't float away? Any more ideas would be great.

Marshrat
04-17-2012, 07:36 AM
This jug line thing has really peaked my interest. A few questions. Is the hook touching bottom or is it free floating? Do you use a weight on bottom to hold in one spot? Do you tie the noodle to a tree or limb so it doesn't float away? Any more ideas would be great.

If fishing for catfish, most people just let the lines drift with the current and wind. Usually about 2-3 ft of line below the float with one hook. When I fish for gar, I have about 15' of line with an 18" leader and let the bait drag the bottom. These lines will also drift with the current and wind, but not too bad because of the drag.

Warren

mcjaredsandwich
04-17-2012, 08:26 AM
Interesting jugs! Read some discussion about noodle jugs on another thread. Will a big fish take the jug under?

Used to jug on lake grapevine 8 years ago. We used big bottles of all or tide, big jugs. We were also catching 35-45lb blues regularly.

sammich

Red Devil
04-17-2012, 08:39 AM
Interesting jugs! Read some discussion about noodle jugs on another thread. Will a big fish take the jug under?

Used to jug on lake grapevine 8 years ago. We used big bottles of all or tide, big jugs. We were also catching 35-45lb blues regularly.

sammich
A big fish would take it under, but with the floatation of the noodle constatly trying to get to the surface, I would think the fish would eventually get tired of it and just go where the noodle pulls. Kinda like trying to take a soccer ball or something and try to swim to the bottom of a swimming pool.

cmcnabb
04-17-2012, 08:45 AM
They will pull my set up(thick pool noodle cut to about 12 inches) under but not keep it under for long. The biggest I've caught since I starting using them was pushing 30 and he would only keep it under a few seconds. I used to use a variety of plastic jugs and caught my biggest blue on a regular sized powerade bottle. He kept it under for what seemed to be about 30 seconds at a time

Duck Butter
04-17-2012, 09:11 AM
A big fish would take it under, but with the floatation of the noodle constatly trying to get to the surface, I would think the fish would eventually get tired of it and just go where the noodle pulls. Kinda like trying to take a soccer ball or something and try to swim to the bottom of a swimming pool.

They always seem to go under just as you go to grab em:rotfl:

Red Devil
04-17-2012, 09:14 AM
They always seem to go under just as you go to grab em:rotfl:
Very true. Found these on the web. Seems like they would work pretty good. Shouldn't need a weight inside.

LouisianaLonghorn
04-17-2012, 09:46 AM
Just a reminder if any of you guys fish Toledo Bend for catfish...the regulations have changed some on the number of fish you can have...I'm not sure what the new ones are, but a Game Warden friend mentioned it the other day. I think the new regulations apply to the Sabine River below the dam as well. I guess the LDWF website would have the new regulations. This may be old info to some of you but I just heard about it.

Red Devil
04-17-2012, 09:52 AM
Just a reminder if any of you guys fish Toledo Bend for catfish...the regulations have changed some on the number of fish you can have...I'm not sure what the new ones are, but a Game Warden friend mentioned it the other day. I think the new regulations apply to the Sabine River below the dam as well. I guess the LDWF website would have the new regulations. This may be old info to some of you but I just heard about it.
I also heard the laws differ from each side of the lake too.

7and7fish
04-17-2012, 10:07 AM
ive caught 30lb cats on this set up. they take it under butt not long. i prefer to let mine drift to cover more water. buddy of mine has the same set up butt with an added eye on opposite end with 18 foot of line and a cement weight for fishing in current.

Armand16
04-21-2012, 12:34 PM
can u bait jug lines with bream?

Montauk17
04-21-2012, 12:41 PM
Yep

Armand16
04-21-2012, 01:33 PM
Yep

Do you think it would be worth it to set some behind the airport in the verlillion?

jgannard
04-21-2012, 01:55 PM
Nice build, when they going to be in stores lol.

Marshrat
04-21-2012, 01:58 PM

There is a catch with using bream for bait. You have to catch it legally with a rod & reel unless you have a private pond.

Warren

1fastmerc
04-21-2012, 02:00 PM
I've built somewhere around 60 of them in the past couple weeks. It's addicting.

cmcnabb
04-21-2012, 02:10 PM
If your using live bream for bait a swivel helps the bream from twisting up your line

Duck Butter
04-21-2012, 02:23 PM
Do you think it would be worth it to set some behind the airport in the verlillion?

Maybe, but the swift current and bends of the river will take them into the bank and they will get hung up, you will have jugs scattered all over:redface:, better in a little lazier current or bigger body of water. Seen a few on Henderson/Bigeaux yesterday and they were scattered all over, looks like they were lost and abandoned

jdm4x43732
04-21-2012, 08:49 PM
There is a catch with using bream for bait. You have to catch it legally with a rod & reel unless you have a private pond.

Warren

So I can catch bream in my private pond and use them for bait on jug lines legally in the river?

Armand16
04-21-2012, 09:10 PM
Maybe, but the swift current and bends of the river will take them into the bank and they will get hung up, you will have jugs scattered all over:redface:, better in a little lazier current or bigger body of water. Seen a few on Henderson/Bigeaux yesterday and they were scattered all over, looks like they were lost and abandoned

I guess my only shot would be anchor it with a big ole weight.

wtretrievers
04-21-2012, 09:23 PM
I did mine the same way just left a couple inches of PVC sticking out of back side of noodle & put a wrap of reflective tape on PVC & run them at night. Can see them a mile off with a Q-beam.

Marshrat
04-21-2012, 09:47 PM
So I can catch bream in my private pond and use them for bait on jug lines legally in the river?

That is correct. In your private pond that does not have ingress or egress of public water you can catch them by any means, nets, cages, hook & line, etc.

If you catch bream in the river, lake, etc., you can use them too but you have to catch them with a pole.

Warren

jdm4x43732
04-21-2012, 09:55 PM
How do I prove to game wardens where bait came from if stopped? Any of you guys ran across this yet?

Marshrat
04-21-2012, 10:20 PM
How do I prove to game wardens where bait came from if stopped? Any of you guys ran across this yet?

I have been checked several times and never had an issue with it. Once it is cut up as bait, they don't even look at it.

Warren

DannyI
04-21-2012, 10:32 PM
think your wrong, now a TB people been using traps, including myself for the last 20 years. they even sell the traps all over around the lake.

cmcnabb
04-21-2012, 11:57 PM
think your wrong, now a TB people been using traps, including myself for the last 20 years. they even sell the traps all over around the lake.
It's legal on Toledo. Nowhere else in Louisiana except private ponds like marshrat said

southern hunter
02-14-2013, 07:54 PM
What do you guys do in the case of heavy current...? My bait is basically flapping in the current staying on the surface? I know the big boys are in deeper water in the current...how should I fish them?

bluewing
02-14-2013, 09:04 PM
If you can get your hands on some railroad spikes they work great. you can wrap the string and hook around the noodle and insert the railroad spike into the hollow part of the noodle. Keeps everything nice and neat.

SHORT SHANK
02-15-2013, 09:48 AM
What do you guys do in the case of heavy current...? My bait is basically flapping in the current staying on the surface? I know the big boys are in deeper water in the current...how should I fish them?

Southern, I usually fish deep water with current so I use a heavy weight but your line must be long enough in case debris from the current gets built up on the line because it will pull a gallon jug under and keep it under. Biggest blue so far is 42lbs and if you use bream in fast currert make sure not to hook them in the tail as they won't stay alive long.

Ray
02-15-2013, 10:04 AM
Dead finger Mullet work good also. Cast net them and get all you want.
I never used a noodle before. Just PVC filled with that spray can foam and capped off on each end. Paint with safety orange and throw out in a dead end canal and go to the open end of the canal and wait for about an hour. Go early. Garfish are just waking up and Cats are getting ready to go to sleep.

Mako19
02-15-2013, 10:04 PM
Think the intercoastal canal by new iberia would be worth giving a shot? Thinking about making a trip next weekend.

papap
02-15-2013, 11:16 PM
Bream can not be caught with a net. At least that use to be the law.

eracjac61
02-16-2013, 07:31 AM
I'm not sure that you will like your choice of using circle hooks on noodle lines. Circle hooks require resistance in order to properly set themselves in the corner of the fishes mouth, and a noodle will not provide that in alot of cases, particularly on large fish. I suggest large treble hooks or regular trotline hooks. Just my 2 cents- Good luck

elebouef
02-16-2013, 12:32 PM
I'm not sure that you will like your choice of using circle hooks on noodle lines. Circle hooks require resistance in order to properly set themselves in the corner of the fishes mouth, and a noodle will not provide that in alot of cases, particularly on large fish. I suggest large treble hooks or regular trotline hooks. Just my 2 cents- Good luck

Good thing the catfish around Lowery doesn't know that. If you look back at my posts from last year, you can find that many catfish around that area got caught using the circle hooks. In fact after I started using the circle hook I started catching more, but then again I might have a special noodle. :)

Keywest18
02-16-2013, 01:03 PM
I also use trot line hooks. But just made about 10 more with circle hooks to see if it changes anything. I woukdnt use treble hooks unless it with chicken liver or something like that