PDA

View Full Version : Using a lead sled to sight in your rifle

paramedicdm
05-29-2012, 10:20 AM
I have heard a lot of talk about lead sleds being the best thing since sliced bread. But some other people say that straping the gun in wont allow the gun to move via recoil like it would when the gun isn't in a lead sled affecting your accuracy. Any thoughts?

wishin i was fishin
05-29-2012, 12:11 PM
My friend bought one 3 years ago and we use it to sight in and target shoot. We are only shooting at 100yds and it works well. we dont have the lead bags, just using the sled itself. It makes shooting large caliber rifles enjoyable and lets you concentrate on the gun and trigger pull rather than the ouuuch after 10 rounds. It has improved my confidence with my rifle in the woods and i know if i miss it was something i did, not my gun.

wtretrievers
05-29-2012, 12:21 PM
Why do you have to strap it in? I've had one going on 7 years. It's the older model & doesn't have straps. So there's never been a problem. Front of gun will raise on recoil with large calibers but is still light on the shoulder and pleasure after several rounds.

I do get what your saying & I would agree that the straps may affect it if you're shooting 300+yards. Just don't strap it in. All strap does is keep front of gun from raising up on recoil

Bluechip
05-29-2012, 12:43 PM
I have one also and do not strap the gun in. It makes sighting in large caliber rifles pleasureable to say the least. I love my Lead Sled....

meathauler
05-29-2012, 01:30 PM
I strap the sled down to the bench but not the gun to the sled.

specktator
05-29-2012, 02:30 PM
I have a Caldwell Lead Sled. Night and day difference between shooting a hunting rifle out of that than shooting free-handed on some sand bags. Small and easy to use and adjust. You aren't second guessing if you "shook or not" or things like that. You are still holding you gun it's just stationary in the sled.

M4TT
05-30-2012, 11:56 AM
Pretty much anything that is restricting your barrel from moving naturally after the shot will affect accuracy. Most rifle manufacturers produce free floating barrels so nothing is in contact with the barrel. You should get the best accuray if you do not strap the rifle to the lead sled.

specktator
05-30-2012, 12:04 PM
Yeh my lead sled doesn't even have an option to strap your gun in it

M4TT
05-30-2012, 01:15 PM
Mine doesn't have a strap either.