PDA

View Full Version : Investment Book Recommendations?

Matt G
05-31-2012, 03:37 PM
I have a degree in Finance, but I've never played in the stock market before. I'm thinking about trying my hand at it, but before I lose my a$$ I want to do a little research. I have a decent grasp on crunching numbers, however I would like to read more on it. I know there are a few of you here that invest, and was wondering if there are any books out there that y'all found helpful. Thanks!

Matt

mikedatiger
06-01-2012, 08:52 AM
I have a degree in Finance, but I've never played in the stock market before. I'm thinking about trying my hand at it, but before I lose my a$$ I want to do a little research. I have a decent grasp on crunching numbers, however I would like to read more on it. I know there are a few of you here that invest, and was wondering if there are any books out there that y'all found helpful. Thanks!

Matt

Played is the key word. It depends on how you are defining investing - i.e. are you planning to buy and hold or day-trade? We can't all be savvy investors like "W" and over time it's pretty dang tough to beat the market so my advice is to research funds and go that route. Depending on who you talk to, buying and holding individual stocks is a thing of the past.

I quit "playing the game" a few years ago and doubt I will ever do it again because the cards are stacked against individuals. My brother-in-law is a PhD who works for a high-frequency trading shop and let's just say they mop the floors with people like us.

Morningstar is one of the better places to read about funds. There are numerous books on fundamental analysis that I could point you to for more short term views.

biggun
11-20-2012, 06:59 PM
I was thinking about investing some money in Government guanteed tax free bonds.. Any body does this that can give me advice???

Armand16
11-20-2012, 07:12 PM
I was thinking about investing some money in Government guanteed tax free bonds.. Any body does this that can give me advice???

Assuming you meant federal bond... A bond being an instrument of debt is something I would stay away from with the US near the fiscal cliff (not sure if you were being sarcastic).. Mutual funds moderate to conservative if anything.... A larger contribution to your 401k if possible would be a good idea.

Armand16
11-20-2012, 07:19 PM
rich dad poor dad, the intelligent investor

mriguy
11-20-2012, 07:43 PM
OK I'll do it!!

W in 3....2....1

"W"
11-20-2012, 07:44 PM
Its not as hard as some think,

I have only been playing the market about 10 years and now its 2nd nature .

I only play a few stocks I'm confident in...

You have two thing with stock
Ones that are strong and will be here to stay but don't have big gains or losses but pay good dividends

And those who move like Berine

I got burned this year for the 1st time.. With ATPG

Took a 95%.loss as it went bankrupt , but on the other hand I have made 1000% profit over the last 10 years off it

Watch watch watch and take advantage of bad stock days for quick money

I have been buying the last two days in the down market and making profit

Gerald
11-21-2012, 12:50 AM
Its not as hard as some think,

I have only been playing the market about 10 years and now its 2nd nature .

I only play a few stocks I'm confident in...

You have two thing with stock
Ones that are strong and will be here to stay but don't have big gains or losses but pay good dividends

And those who move like Berine

I got burned this year for the 1st time.. With ATPG

Took a 95%.loss as it went bankrupt , but on the other hand I have made 1000% profit over the last 10 years off it

Watch watch watch and take advantage of bad stock days for quick money

I have been buying the last two days in the down market and making profit

You did not start until after the wild swings of 1999 and the crash of March of 2000? After Sept. 11, was not a good time to be invested either. In 1999, I had some days where I made almost a years salary and other days.....well, they were just as bad.

One guy at work bought and sold QCOM several times in 1999 making 30 to 50 dollars per share profit......in one day's time.

I make oil
12-01-2012, 01:07 PM
Another vote for Rich Dad Poor Dad. Read the first book and see if it clicks for you. I gave the book to all my kids and keep extra copies to give to people I see who need it. Building wealth is not about buying a few stocks and trying to turn a quick profit. The first thing is to be debt free and financially independent. Then you can start to think about where to invest your money to best suit your financial plan.:)