PDA

View Full Version : New boat owners tips

CatDaddy
09-19-2009, 08:48 PM
My Dad just finally got his new boat. Its a 20 foot "Fish Master".. Really nice boat for the price he payed...

I know we have talked about it before, but what is the best thing to clean the boat wit? We cleaned it up today and used clorox cleanup and mean green, and it did a great job..

Any other tricks and tips would be appriciated...

adamsfence
09-19-2009, 09:05 PM
i just use cheap degreaser for the inside works good....for the outside just soap and water just like a car also i wax mine once a year....this really helps it stay shinny

Dink
09-19-2009, 09:10 PM
Mr. Clean Magic Eraser.............first time out in boat we ALL wore shoes that left marks.........15 minutes with this Magic sponge and it ALL CAME OFF!!! I actually got sunburnt on my face from the sun reflecting off the boat floor!! (was wearing a cap)............After mechanic finished the motor job there was greasy finger prints on some places.............10 minutes later, they were all gone...........My boat is a 99 and it looks BRAND NEW.................Tim

Ray
09-19-2009, 09:15 PM
Aurora Sure Step for non skid surfaces. It protects and makes your feet stick instead of slipping like regular wax will. I have used it for years on my offshore boat. Helps protect from dried blood too.
I was my boat every spring and fall with 3M Cleaner Wax and a buffer I got at Harbor Freight for $27. Keeps her looking great for a long time.
I always use a boat soap, or a soap for fiberglass surfaces. If you use dish soap or anything with a degreaser, it can strip the gloss off of your gelcoat and it will strip any wax off of it also. I agree with Magic Eraser also. It keeps the seats clean and shiny. It takes any black streaks off of the gelcoat too.
Use a brush on gelcoat but use something soft like a soft brush or rag on the slick surfaces. It helps keep the gelcoat shiny longer.
Don't forget to wax the outboard surfaces also. It keeps the salt from sticking.

Jordan
09-20-2009, 02:28 PM
i use diesel for the grime from W lake...i mean big lake... and i use just a high pressured power washer with dial soap (home) or a car wash coming back from the lake... my boat is not that pretty anyways... if i wanted a pretty boat, i wouldn't have bought a bay boat..