PDA

View Full Version : Reel Cleaning

Matt G
06-27-2012, 12:22 PM
How exactly do you guys clean/oil y'alls reels after using them in saltwater. I rinsed mine off thoroughly with the hose then took it apart and lightly oiled it. I tried casting it a few times to really work the oil in bit it wouldn't cast over a few yards and reeled in rough. I re-rinsed it and it casted great again. Will it start to rust without any oil, or is rinsing it sufficient? Any advice would be appreciated.

Armand16
06-27-2012, 12:24 PM
if wading, take apart and soak in water and put hot sauce. if not wipe with damp towel

eman
06-27-2012, 06:39 PM
Do Not spray w/ water hose. all you do is push any sand and salt deeper into reel.
Soak in a bucket of fresh water , pull apart , rinse ,dry and then hot sauce .

Jebbay
07-02-2012, 03:19 PM
what exactly does the hot sauce do for it?

Bluechip
07-02-2012, 03:21 PM
what exactly does the hot sauce do for it?

Hot sauce is a brand of reel oil...

Armand16
07-02-2012, 03:23 PM
lubricates

"W"
07-02-2012, 05:11 PM
I don't do a thing to them....clean once a year or twice if need be but nothing from trip to trip

Do not put water on them...only makes it worse

Salty
07-02-2012, 06:06 PM
I don't do a thing to them....clean once a year or twice if need be but nothing from trip to trip

Do not put water on them...only makes it worse

Ever think that might be why you backlash so much? :eek:

flounder_smacker
07-02-2012, 06:14 PM
dont fish as much as some of these guys but after each trip i wash with soap and water. once a year i take them down soak in degreaser then re oil and grease. every two years i change bearings.

Gasper Master
07-02-2012, 10:09 PM
I rinse the rod and reel with the hose with the attachment with salt terminator, don't have any problems at all.

Amazon.com: CRC SXMXR Salt Terminator Mixer: Sports & Outdoors@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31U1VJP%2BwDL.@@AMEPARAM@@31U1VJP%2BwDL

specksNdaSURF
07-03-2012, 10:58 AM
star bright "salt off" is good to spray on reels bf a light rinse with the hose

jlsch1
07-03-2012, 05:09 PM
Like Salty I just clean them once or twice a year if just boat use.

If I use in surf then I break them down after trip and clean them well.
That sand will just tear up a reel quick acts like an abrasive.
Got ultrasonic cleaner and clean them up, lube & grease what needs lubed, and
put back together.

Again I use to do reel repair back in days when red 5000 ambassador, bantam reel, or daiwa PT 33 was the it reels.
To make them smooth you had to lap the gears with tooth paste to really make them scream.

coastalobsession
07-11-2012, 11:09 AM
If wading and not dunked.... every 2 trips
Other than that about every 4 trips

It take all the parts out and get all the old grease and oil off of the frame/parts/sideplate/bearings.
I clean all the parts with Simple Green except with the brass gears which get CLR and later polished.

I blow the bearings out with carb cleaner and heat them up and clean them again. Once clean and spin freely I oil with royal purple.

The frame gets a LIGHT coat of Yamaha Marine Grease along with the Brass gears and screw holes.

The nylon gears get royal purple oil along with worm gear.

The roller clutch bearing get a drop of royal purple.

On the newer Shimano bait casters I can get a average of a 50sec free spool with standard bearings.