PDA

View Full Version : Duck call help

Geauxtigers1421
09-06-2012, 06:50 PM
I don't know much about duck calls so I figured y'all could help me out some. I'm just really started calling last season and really enjoy it. I'm looking at RNT and Zink calls. Which do y'all prefer? Also, what models or materials are best?
Thanks in advance for any help

cmcnabb
09-06-2012, 07:00 PM
Never used either brand. It's hard to beat a Haydel dr 85 or a Haydel Cajun squeal though. A lot cheaper too

meaux fishing
09-06-2012, 07:02 PM
when you get to the high end duck calls there is no "best" one imo. They all sound good and some are better for different applications. Personally I have a soft raspy one and a loud one that way I can adapt to different situations. I have a wood RNT macrohen and acrylic HS Ringer btw

noodle creek
09-06-2012, 07:03 PM
Primos wench (doubles as a good bluewing call) or a haydels dr85. You won't kill any more ducks just because you spend 100 bucks on a call

Top Dawg
09-06-2012, 07:05 PM
Haydels DR85

bgizzle
09-06-2012, 07:10 PM
^^^^^^x100^^^^ best starter call and won't break the bank. Also I find a great all around whistle especially for pintail but double as a mallard grunt and a gw teal whistle is the high roller by promos. Acadiana outfitters in new Iberia carries both. Good luck need a practice partner holla!

bgizzle
09-06-2012, 07:11 PM
Primos****

SULPHITE
09-06-2012, 07:15 PM
I have a zink ph2 poly good call cheap other than that dr85 and a whistle

Duckhunter2007
09-06-2012, 07:15 PM
Haydels DR85 is the best choice, you can make a variety of different sounds and pitches with it. Also perfect for a beginner.

Duckhunter2007
09-06-2012, 07:16 PM
You can also use the DR85 to call Bluewing

lsufish
09-06-2012, 07:22 PM
I purchased an RNT double reed alpha. The most expensive call I've ever purchased and its very nice. However, when push comes to shove and the flock of birds are wary, I always grab for the Haydels cajun squeal and its about 130 bucks cheaper!

bluewing
09-06-2012, 07:47 PM
old school plastic sure shots, or yensen

bgizzle
09-06-2012, 08:08 PM
I purchased an RNT double reed alpha. The most expensive call I've ever purchased and its very nice. However, when push comes to shove and the flock of birds are wary, I always grab for the Haydels cajun squeal and its about 130 bucks cheaper!

When you. Get that technical on call shy birds look on you tube and learn how to blow a "bouncing hen" and you won't need the Cajun squeal you can use ur dr85 to blow that. That will fix them wary bastads! And you won't have to fumble for another call. Tune your call to where you can blow raspy on a high cadence and smooth on a normal cadence and master the bouncing hen. Three calls in one you won't have to buy 3 different calls and you smash birds all in a days work! Just my .02

j.e.hagen
09-06-2012, 08:31 PM
DR 85 all the bouncing hen and chatter sounds good but I've never done it and I've hunted with McNabb for the last 8 years I've never heard him do it if the birds are in your area all you need is to sound good enough so you don't scare them off and hide well

Kenner18
09-06-2012, 08:39 PM
Primos wench has been getting it done for me for the last 10 yrs .

Duck Butter
09-06-2012, 08:41 PM
DR-85 has been around for a long time, and has stood the test of time, they are not expensive either. I also have a redleg or something like that its a green call from Haydels and it sounds good also. It used to be a Ford vs Chevy thing but now there are 10,000 different calls and most of the high end calls are just for show in a special case:)

Savagespec619
09-06-2012, 08:47 PM
i like the new riceland double reed duck call

j.e.hagen
09-06-2012, 08:49 PM
I've got a riceland spec call but I can't see spending 60 bucks on a duck call although I've heard good thongs about their duck calls

lsufish
09-06-2012, 09:00 PM
When you. Get that technical on call shy birds look on you tube and learn how to blow a "bouncing hen" and you won't need the Cajun squeal you can use ur dr85 to blow that. That will fix them wary bastads! And you won't have to fumble for another call. Tune your call to where you can blow raspy on a high cadence and smooth on a normal cadence and master the bouncing hen. Three calls in one you won't have to buy 3 different calls and you smash birds all in a days work! Just my .02

No doubt, I agree with you 100%, and i can blow the bouncing hen. My whole point i guess was I'll take the hydels over the rnt. Just making a point for the guy, I typically dont switch back and forth.

bgizzle
09-06-2012, 09:54 PM
I know you were! I wasn't knocking you I was elaborating on your topic to show him the different scenarios where ppl who are new can better their game without breaking the bank. You do you bro i don't knock no body especially if you kill birds! Just i think someone up n coming breaking the bank for different notes is more of a struggle. Learning the basics then making the most out of that call first and not fumbling for other calls I think personally gives them more of a sense of greatness whereas trying to sound different on different calls takes time and money with the one call once you master the art of YOUR CADENCE you can blow a bouncing hen a refuge call a Cajun squeal on THAT call then move on. I guess I think it's like trying to introduce a dog 4 different things ex: collar conditioning, force fetch, T patterns, and cold blinds in the same week to me. Not exactly the best analogy but yall get the hint. Now that's me and how I try to show ppl how to advance in calling. My .02 y'all may be totally different.

bgizzle
09-06-2012, 10:03 PM
Personally I have one two DUCK calls on my lanyard ONE "duck commander chicabola" that I love and blow that only. Ppl talk bad about em but i tuned it to my liking and it sounds great do I don't need anything else. I blow a quack, greeting, comeback, bouncing hen, feeding/chuckle, blue wing teal squeal etc. with the same call. Other one I use strictly for someone who wants to learn "Buck garner" In the blind on a slack time break. It takes less air like a dr85 to get a simple quack great for beginners

lsufish
09-06-2012, 10:17 PM
No I think you are right on. I didn't take it as you knocking me, it's all good man.

simplepeddler
09-06-2012, 11:19 PM
Master the DR and you can master them all.........My 2 cents......your milage may vary

SULPHITE
09-07-2012, 08:29 AM
Master the DR and you can master them all.........My 2 cents......your milage may vary

i agree I bounced a hen in the truck on the way to work this am!! lol!

Nauticstar1187
09-07-2012, 08:34 AM
Sure Shot plastic call is a great beginner call and works really well. I also like DC calls as well.

Geauxtigers1421
09-08-2012, 10:07 PM
Thanks for all the input guys. I looked up all the calls mentioned and read up on a bunch of others. Ended up calling my uncle who collects calls and went to his house to try out a few. I went with an RNT daisy cutter acrylic and a timber hunter coco bola. I already have 2 haydels and a quack head so I was looking for some upgrades on those. I will be practicing a lot on the timber hunter and get good with a single reed before I start to play around with the daisy cutter. I'm hoping everything works out well!

bgizzle
09-08-2012, 10:19 PM
Single reeds to me are competition calls. I blow doubles. I get more reaction and to me they sound more ducky. To each his own

Geauxtigers1421
09-09-2012, 01:03 PM
Single reeds to me are competition calls. I blow doubles. I get more reaction and to me they sound more ducky. To each his own

I figured if I could learn on a single reed, I could blow any call. If I learned on a double reed, I might not be able to blow a single if I ever needed to. I'll be practicing a lot and hopefully getting pretty good with them

bgizzle
09-09-2012, 04:34 PM
That guy is in something.. Lol... Butter check this guys vids out I think he makes the best ones. Let me know what you think.. Freestyleoutdoors search advanced duck calling on you tube and look for his name he does a bunch of them he's a beast. Or maybe search for Freestyleoutdoors and see what that brings up.

About the duck calls: you do you bro I'm just letting you know my expierience to help you as much as possible because when I learned I didn't have this site to ask ppl my dad didn't hunt I just listened to tapes and practiced when my folks weren't home because they got irritated quick when an old faulks call wouldnt stop blowing. Lol. I practiced all the te thinking I was going to be the best in the world but now I just love to do it and teach my friends because when 3 ppl in one blind can cALl in a cadence it makes a tune no duck can resist. Practice hard play harder! If you need pm me im always down to mess around with the calls and see how mad I can make the ole lady!!! Lol

aquaholic
09-09-2012, 04:37 PM
Here is a very good demo of how to do a bouncing hen

Duck Calling 101: Bouncing Hen - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPQSuP6jJ2c)

:work::rotfl:

Priceless!! I want to hunt w him

Msucowpoke51
09-15-2012, 11:26 PM
I completely agree about the DR85, best overall call out there. A buddy of mine has a RNT and claims it has locked up on him ever since the first time he took it out on a hunt. Not sayin they are all like that but thats just my experience, my DR85 however has been put through hell and still sounds as good as the first day i bought it.

LPfishnTIM
09-15-2012, 11:31 PM
I just started a couple years ago, I don't call big ducks, I just throw some decoys, I use a feeding call that you call by hand, but other then that my calling sucks. I have a teal call I use, its a haydel it works good and I use a whistle for wood ducks.