PDA

View Full Version : Need help!

Geauxtigers1421
09-12-2012, 07:20 PM
I've been practicing with my calls a lot lately. However, I ran into a problem and I'm gonna have to go back to the basics to fix it. I found myself starting to grunt into the call rather than just using my diaphragm. I didn't do this before unless I did and haven't noticed but I need to fix it before its a habit. I've been trying tons of things and can't find the fix. Every time I go to use a root word into the call, I find myself grunting again. Not sure if its because I have a deep voice or not, so I just stopped trying to use a word and trying to just get air out of my diaphragm without it but can't seem to figure it out. It's either way to raspy due to the grunting or not nearly enough, nothing in the middle which is what I'm looking for. Are there any tips you guys have that could get me on the right track? Or any videos of real ducks on the web somewhere I could watch to know when I get the right sound? I looked on YouTube and couldn't find anything helpful. Thanks for any help in advance.

jdm4x43732
09-12-2012, 07:30 PM
Duck Commander - Blowing Duck Calls - ShellShocked Outdoors - YouTube

Duck Commanderâ„¢ Original Commander Call - YouTube

bgizzle
09-12-2012, 08:09 PM
You need to sit side by side with a good caller and practice. I taught my buddy how to blow a two note cadence and a cluck on a speck call in 3 minutes. Someone who know how to correct mistakes can easily point out what your doing wrong

Kenner18
09-12-2012, 09:31 PM
Its probably all in your head .Once you convince yourself its all wrong its gonna be . Quit thinking about it so much and just call like you normally do and it will all straighten itself out .

aquaholic
09-12-2012, 10:08 PM
The best description i have ever heard is Buck Gardner. His word is quit to make a quack. Definitely the best teaching word I have ever used. Been hunting Ar public lands for 30+ yrs so have heard many a good duck caller. Cadence is much more important than the noise out of the call. Proper cadence and timing will outcall a really good caller that doesn't understand these everyday!!