PDA

View Full Version : This just chaps my ***!

Tete Dur
10-26-2012, 02:53 PM
I hunt in the Pine Island area. Our farmer is giving up the property and a new farmer is takin over at the end of the year. Our current farmer went to the new farmer in our behalf to ask if we could continue leasing next year. He told the new farmer that we are paying $6000 a blind and have 3 blinds leased on that section. (although there is a 4th blind that could be leased out). So our total comes to $18000 /year to lease the 3 blinds. Well the new farmer said he has a chemical company that would give him twice that much for the lease.

So it looks like the little man gets F'd again. I'm so fed up with it being so darn expensive for a regular middle class person to go duck hunting. I wish a law would be passed to keep big business out of hunting and leave it to the individual hunters. I work so hard to learn to train my dog myself to get enjoyment out of taking her on a hunt and then our dreams get squashed by money once again!!!!

specktator
10-26-2012, 02:55 PM
I know some guys that pay $38,500/year for 600 acres in Pecan Island. Won't be long until I'm facing the same problem as you. Sorry to hear.

Lake Chuck Duck
10-26-2012, 02:58 PM
I believe If a lease is signed prior to selling it has to be honored by the new party until the lease is up, which would give you at least this season to hunt. I could be wrong.

Tete Dur
10-26-2012, 02:59 PM
The guy that is in charge of our lease said our farmer never believed in signing a lease. His and our word was good enough. So we have nothing on paper. I don't know if a hand hake still holds up in LA as "official".

Tete Dur
10-26-2012, 03:10 PM
Update....well I just found out that we get to hunt the entire season. He is going to honor our current lease agreement. I am thankful for that!!!! But still upset if we lose this to a big company coming drive the regular Jo out. I'm crossing my fingers that it doesn't come to that. Although you couldn't blame the man for trying to make more money. It's just messed up the way all the companies down here are buying everything up for write-offs and it screws us!!

2ndamendment
10-26-2012, 03:11 PM
Does that "new" farmer accept your tax money from the federal government for being a farmer? Might be putting it to you twice.

SULPHITE
10-26-2012, 03:25 PM
yep sucks and its happening everywhere.

Ray
10-26-2012, 04:11 PM
Miami Corp. started doing that in the mid 80's.
I was on a lease between the Go Devil people and Regan Equip.
One year a full section, next year Go Devil took half the section.
Next year, they told us half of our blinds were on Regan's section.
So we ended up going to have to pay for half a section and only have 1 blind.
We dropped out and Miami said we still had to pay. We said F YOU.
Not long after that, most of my friends who's families have had leases for decades were losing them to the hunting clubs. Who ever has the most money...

Spunt Drag
10-26-2012, 04:36 PM
And just think, after corporate America takes it over, DU can come in and dump $100,000 in it makin it prime hunting estate. In all seriousness I'm sorry. I wish we could be like Canada. Where hunting is a right and land can not be leased for hunting purposes.

wetaline
10-26-2012, 05:19 PM
Really glad you get to keep your lease, Lane. It definitely is bad when the "little guy" can't afford to hunt anymore. It's a sad time when you can't pass the tradition on to the future generations. We're still looking for a place to do some duck and deer hunting.

Duck Butter
10-26-2012, 06:03 PM
Sorry to hear that, but playing Devils Advocate here:

If you were the landowner and you can get $18k or $36k for doing the exact same thing, whatcha gonna do?:redface:

I can not believe some of the prices some of these leases go for. A fella could go on 30 guided hunts in Stuttgart for what they pay and have more luck as well.

What is good is that in Louisiana we are fortunate enough to have over 1 million acres of state owned land not including federal land that we can hunt. All you have to pay is for the WMA stamp for access to 1 million acres. May have to walk a little further but its much better than other states have

all star rod
10-26-2012, 06:07 PM
$ talks......our lease went up by 2k....you got to pay to play.

jchief
10-26-2012, 06:09 PM
There comes a time when it is cheaper to book several hunts with a guide over paying the money for a lease.

all star rod
10-26-2012, 06:22 PM
There comes a time when it is cheaper to book several hunts with a guide over paying the money for a lease.

True but i you have one blind and even if the price is 8k...3 ways is not bad. Plus if you hunt 20-30 times counting teal season and you have a son (now paying a guide for 2 hunters) you will be paying a hell of a lot of $......most guides are at least 200 bucks pwer person for a drive up hunt.

Tete Dur
10-26-2012, 06:39 PM
Sorry to hear that, but playing Devils Advocate here:

If you were the landowner and you can get $18k or $36k for doing the exact same thing, whatcha gonna do?:redface:

I can not believe some of the prices some of these leases go for. A fella could go on 30 guided hunts in Stuttgart for what they pay and have more luck as well.

What is good is that in Louisiana we are fortunate enough to have over 1 million acres of state owned land not including federal land that we can hunt. All you have to pay is for the WMA stamp for access to 1 million acres. May have to walk a little further but its much better than other states have

Yeah. I couldn't blame someone for wanting to making more money. I just wish the big businesses wouldn't come in and offer so much money. My little check book can't compete with big money.

j.e.hagen
10-26-2012, 06:41 PM
I'm with the guy who said its unbelievable what people pay to hunt. I love duck and goose huntin more than any hobby I've had. been doing it since I was 7 just recently started guiding for a specklebelly hunting club so I could have a place to hunt. That's beside the point when I was a kid I hunted with my uncle for a farmer in beaugard parish when the huntin was good. Our lease consisted of us trading him hay for a place to hunt. Once the rice farming slowed down in reeves he let us hunt a blind on the Calcasieau line for no extra charge he just wanted to honor his word and not screw people over. It's sad to say but hunting is being regeared for the rich not poor folks like myself.

all star rod
10-26-2012, 06:42 PM
Yeah. I couldn't blame someone for wanting to making more money. I just wish the big businesses wouldn't come in and offer so much money. My little check book can't compete with big money.

It is nothing but a write off expense for them....

Tete Dur
10-26-2012, 06:54 PM
It is nothing but a write off expense for them....

Yep. I wish I could write it off too! Ha

j.e.hagen
10-26-2012, 07:01 PM
Yep. I wish I could write it off too! Ha

No kidding. I'm jealous of that name tete dur that's what all my people at work call me bc I never listen to what them older guys tell me until I get covered in something or break something

jchief
10-26-2012, 07:21 PM
True but i you have one blind and even if the price is 8k...3 ways is not bad. Plus if you hunt 20-30 times counting teal season and you have a son (now paying a guide for 2 hunters) you will be paying a hell of a lot of $......most guides are at least 200 bucks pwer person for a drive up hunt.

Didn't mean it is not worth the price of a lease. Some things, like hunting with the family, is priceless. There just my be a time when it comes out better/cheaper for some people.

Even looking at the app 2700 you pay, at $200 a hunt for an individual you can have 19 hunts. If you hunt every weekend, it would almost be a wash price wise.

all star rod
10-26-2012, 08:00 PM
Didn't mean it is not worth the price of a lease. Some things, like hunting with the family, is priceless. There just my be a time when it comes out better/cheaper for some people.

Even looking at the app 2700 you pay, at $200 a hunt for an individual you can have 19 hunts. If you hunt every weekend, it would almost be a wash price wise.

I thought I was going to have to do the guide route this year. However, I rather have my own spot, that way my son and I can hunt whenever we want. Seems you can still get on a good deer lease for decent money but duck leases are getting crazy expensive.

jchief
10-26-2012, 08:12 PM
I thought I was going to have to do the guide route this year. However, I rather have my own spot, that way my son and I can hunt whenever we want. Seems you can still get on a good deer lease for decent money but duck leases are getting crazy expensive.

You are right on the deer leases, but they are climbing in price also.

bigrich74
10-27-2012, 05:19 AM
Where is your lease at in pine island? What is the farmers name.

Tete Dur
10-27-2012, 07:25 AM
Where is your lease at in pine island? What is the farmers name.

No disrespect but I'd rather not give out the farmer or exact place. It is irrelevant to my post. I dot want someone to confuse my post with me being upset with the farmer. I just want to make clear that I'm not upset with the farmer. He has every right to go for more money although I hope he doesn't. This post was just to vent on how big business flash money to the land owners and take hunting spots from regular people who enjoy hunting. And if he does go for that option there would be no hard feelings towards the farmer...he has a family to feed like everyone else here. I'm just hoping that he decides to stay with us regular guys for a little less money because he is a regular guy just like all of us.

Will"E"Fish
10-27-2012, 10:14 AM
Thank goodness fishn hasn't got to this point,But who who knows what the future hold's for that.

simplepeddler
10-27-2012, 10:22 AM
Those rice field blinds became a rope-a-dope years ago.........the hunting down river in Venice is harder, but worth it when you put it all down.

I find that every VP of Mukity-Muck Inc. has gone out and bought a Benelli and thinks he is a duck hunter.........wants to walk to his blind, sky blast and talk about how great his day was..........that attitude towards what we love has driven the price out the roof.

Look, I entertain quite a bit as well, but my PERSONAL hunting has moved back to push poling and small sizing.

I do have a few customers that appreciate that and are hard hunters and will make the hunts with us........but then I have those that show up with stickers on thier guns and have no earthly idea how to hunt. Those are the guys where the "show" is important, and why all those rice field blinds get gobbled up......We moved up to timber brakes in Tensas just for these guys.......and now I let the saleman take them and pull "executive" privilege and just take the real hunters.

Pat Babaz
10-27-2012, 12:57 PM
You are right on the deer leases, but they are climbing in price also.

Alot of the piney woods leases around Beauregard parish are getting up around $700-800 now and your lucky to see a deer jump the road, much less from a stand. And the timber companies wonder why they can't get all thier money come hunting season.

Duck Butter
10-27-2012, 01:37 PM
Those rice field blinds became a rope-a-dope years ago.........the hunting down river in Venice is harder, but worth it when you put it all down.

I find that every VP of Mukity-Muck Inc. has gone out and bought a Benelli and thinks he is a duck hunter.........wants to walk to his blind, sky blast and talk about how great his day was..........that attitude towards what we love has driven the price out the roof.

Look, I entertain quite a bit as well, but my PERSONAL hunting has moved back to push poling and small sizing.

I do have a few customers that appreciate that and are hard hunters and will make the hunts with us........but then I have those that show up with stickers on thier guns and have no earthly idea how to hunt. Those are the guys where the "show" is important, and why all those rice field blinds get gobbled up......We moved up to timber brakes in Tensas just for these guys.......and now I let the saleman take them and pull "executive" privilege and just take the real hunters.

Amen brotha:)

lsufish
10-27-2012, 01:43 PM
This sounds like an occupy Wall Street forum. I hate capitalism and the 1%!!!

Duck Butter
10-27-2012, 01:47 PM
This sounds like an occupy Wall Street forum. I hate capitalism and the 1%!!!

I thought the same thing but wasn't going there:rotfl:

Occupy Rice Farms

lsufish
10-27-2012, 01:59 PM
Haha yeah, I had to double check my browser and make sure I was on the salty, not MSNBC by mistake.

yellalilyslicker
10-27-2012, 07:55 PM
Does that "new" farmer accept your tax money from the federal government for being a farmer? Might be putting it to you twice.
You have no clue what you are even talking about:shaking::shaking:

Blknredflake
10-29-2012, 06:58 AM
Tis why i stick to huntin reserves.... Pay for my WMA an the as to get there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crawdaddct
11-01-2012, 02:15 PM
Same thing happen to my father in-law. He was on a lease for ten years. The old man who owned the place never went up on them. I think they were paying $700 a year. The old man turned the place over to his son. His son kicked every person off the lease the next year. Some company came in a leased the whole place for upper managment. The only guy who got to stay on was the lease manager. The son actually hired him to set up the blinds and take these big wigs to and from their blinds.

11-01-2012, 03:21 PM
That's just the way the cookie crumbles. Money talks. In saying that, there are plenty of ducks on public land. Just have put on your big boy pants.