PDA

View Full Version : Best duck recipes.

jbert22
11-23-2012, 06:57 PM
Who's gotem?

rustyb
11-23-2012, 07:08 PM
Eat the shot gun shells.
My son went out and killed 3 limits so I gotta mess of ducks. I dont know nothing bout ducks, but I know how to cook. I got recipes from every expert on ducks..... Maybe its me, but I now understand why dogs bring ducks back to their masters. CUZ THEY DONT WANT EM!!!! That is some nasty crap. The only thing edible was the gumbo. But dont eat the meat. Just the juice. The ducks we have tried so far have been green and blue wing teal. A couple of big ducks but I dont know what type. (no spoon bills) NASTY
If you want some come get em they are vacuum packed and ready to go.

Bluechip
11-23-2012, 07:13 PM
Lol..... I like to filet the breast meat out and do the jalapeƱo, cream cheese, wrapped in bacon and cook on the pit.

Armand16
11-23-2012, 07:17 PM
I pot roast teal and sometimes wood ducks. To me big ducks taste like a FART and dry out before they become tender. They get gumbo or duck bombs.

Specks get deboned and stuffed and roasted.

Shawn Braquet
11-23-2012, 07:34 PM
Plucked ducks-mallards, greys, pintail, teal, woodies(assuming the pinfeathers aren't horrible); the skin makes the gravy and I throw the hearts in as well. I add onions, taters, bell peppers and carrots and theres never any meat left. Of course the 2 tools needed are a black iron pot with a wooden spoon! The rest of the ducks get breasted for bacon wrapped appetizers

rustyb
11-23-2012, 07:39 PM
I tried em on the grill wrapped in bacon and that didnt work. Do the species make a big difference? I gotta be cooking the right ducks the wrong way. They taste kinda like liver.

Bluechip
11-23-2012, 07:46 PM
If you don't like liver, then quit eating them. Because they have that taste.....

Spunt Drag
11-23-2012, 07:47 PM
I gotta be cooking the right ducks the wrong way?
Without a doubt. I mean I'd rather a chicken, but they're not that bad.

Armand16
11-23-2012, 07:47 PM
I tried em on the grill wrapped in bacon and that didnt work. Do the species make a big difference? I gotta be cooking the right ducks the wrong way. They taste kinda like liver.

The liver taste is over cooked blood. Try not to cook as long and marinate them in milk. It helps draw the blood out.

Slice each brest in thirds and put crem cheese and jalapeƱos in the middle and wrap bacon. Try to make the bite sized. When bacon is cooked its done.

Flatfishfreak
11-23-2012, 07:48 PM
All Ducks are is a flying liver!!! But I like dat.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

rustyb
11-23-2012, 08:07 PM
If you don't like liver, then quit eating them. Because they have that taste.....

OK thanks, that answers a lot of my questions. Not what I had expected. But I will try other ways mentioned here.

Micah
11-23-2012, 08:15 PM
I hate liver but I will eat ducks everyday of the week.

I got a cousin that boils his ducks in crab boil before he puts it in the gumbo. It's not bad.

rustyb
11-23-2012, 08:29 PM
The gumbo was the best. The flavor was awesome. But the meat was not so good. Of all the ways we prepared it, that was the best.

jbert22
11-23-2012, 08:46 PM
Well I've tried it several different ways and its just ok. But the last time I ate pot roasted duck it was UNREAL. Extremely good. Will post recipe if I can get it. Seems like most who have replied don't eat duck. Do you still kill them if you don't eat them?

Shawn Braquet
11-23-2012, 08:56 PM
A citrus acid cuts the taste that y'all dont like just sayin, i like the flavor myself however

Raymond
11-23-2012, 09:07 PM
I pot roast teal and sometimes wood ducks. To me big ducks taste like a FART and dry out before they become tender. They get gumbo or duck bombs.

Specks get deboned and stuffed and roasted.

Why you eatin "Farts"?
Pot roast with Jimmy Dean sausage stuffing and atleast a 12 pak to finish them. Grilled with 5 days soak in Dales Seasoning cooked med rare. If you don't like either of these you must be a Muslim.

Gottogo49
11-23-2012, 09:20 PM
I started a thread in the Recipe section and I got a hard time because I don't like the ducky/liver taste. Anyway one good recipe to get rid of the liver flavor is
Sloppy Donalds
It works good on spoonies.
Take the duck breasts and boil them until tender.
Shred the meat and add your favorite barbecue sauce.
Heat it up and spread on a Poboy bun.
No ducky taste at all.
Besides gumbo, I also like to cook whole ducks in an oven bag.
About 275 degrees for 3 1/2- 4 hours. Moist and tender.
Pot roast is OK but to me, the oven bag is better.

Duck Butter
11-23-2012, 09:38 PM
Before you do anything, make sure all the blood clots are removed then soak them (brine) them in salt water for a day or 2, this removes the blood and some of the liver taste.

We went last Saturday and there were 2 spoonbills in the mix and they were gonna stomp them in the mud:confused::shaking: I breasted them and threw them in the pot with the 'good ducks' and they were all eaten. Some of my relatives are pretty much vegetarian hippies but they ate the fool out of those ducks.

If you are grilling the ducks, do not overcook, medium rare is the key

captmule
11-26-2012, 08:34 AM
If you soak your duck breast in equal portions of olive oil, soy sauce, and what ever wine you like (I use cafe zinfindel) they are amazing. I let them sit over night in the marinade and wrap them in bacon and put them on the pit and they taste wonderful. The taste of the duck is completely transformed and I believe it taste like a good piece of steak. Good luck

Micah
11-26-2012, 08:49 AM
If you soak your duck breast in equal portions of olive oil, soy sauce, and what ever wine you like (I use cafe zinfindel) they are amazing. I let them sit over night in the marinade and wrap them in bacon and put them on the pit and they taste wonderful. The taste of the duck is completely transformed and I believe it taste like a good piece of steak. Good luck

Sounds good.

Ragin_Cajun
11-26-2012, 09:18 AM
Duck and oyster gumbo! Its da bomb!

swamp snorkler
11-26-2012, 09:30 AM
Smoked Duck and oyster gumbo! Its da bomb!

Fixed it for you

Armand16
11-26-2012, 09:38 AM
Why you eatin "Farts"?
Pot roast with Jimmy Dean sausage stuffing and atleast a 12 pak to finish them. Grilled with 5 days soak in Dales Seasoning cooked med rare. If you don't like either of these you must be a Muslim.

old habit

bayoublack
11-26-2012, 10:16 AM
I take 1 pound of duck breast 1 pound of deer meat or boston butt 1/2 pound of bacon and grind it all up and take the breakfast sausage seasoning you find at Academy (double the amount it says to use) and make Breakfast Sauasge

Cajunsim
11-26-2012, 01:47 PM
brine and wine soak, deboned, stuffed with deer sausage, onions, seasoning, wrapped bacon and roasted. Awesome.

duck enticer
11-27-2012, 11:41 AM
What not to do! I tried this frangelica liquor recipe that I got from youtube. Mash up goose breast with a tenderizer.....batter the whole mess in flour and corn meal. Fry them. Take them out and do something else that I can't remember. Fry them again while adding a buttload of Frangelica.

I ate them and puked until my stomach was lodged in my throat. I'm talking sick as a dog ya'll. I now have a severe aversion to frangelica. I get nautious when I smell that stuff. I wasn't right for a week.

What works? Slow cookers and ducks work together like cheese and wine. Stuff the waterfowl with Tasso, onions and sausage. Fill the slow cooker with Bell peppers, Carrots, Celery and potatoes. Put a few pieces of bacon on top of the waterfowl. Cook it into submission, usually about 7-9 hours.....Money!

Marinate breasts in Italian dressing for about 4 days. Slit breasts and stuff with Jalapenos/Onions/Bell peppers. Big dollop of Cream cheese/Pepperjack cheese. Wrap a piece of bacon around each breast, 2 if your brave. 475-500 degrees for 20 minutes gives you a medium rare breast. No/very little liver taste.

saute86
11-27-2012, 12:45 PM
When I want to get fancy I do a Galentine. This one was stuffed with jalapeno cornbread and garlic deer sausage and wrapped with Wrights slab bacon. The old glory mustard greens topped it off. I smoked it with hickory in an oiless turkey fryer.

MaXXis85
11-30-2012, 10:57 AM
I haven't tried it yet, But i have read about Dry aging your fowl. Basically let them sit in the refrigerator for about 5-7 days in an elevated pan to allow the blood to drip out of the meat. I enjoy the wild taste of duck, but my wife does not. I will get around to doing it one day.

Bluechip
11-30-2012, 10:59 AM
I haven't tried it yet, But i have read about Dry aging your fowl. Basically let them sit in the refrigerator for about 5-7 days in an elevated pan to allow the blood to drip out of the meat. I enjoy the wild taste of duck, but my wife does not. I will get around to doing it one day.

I have heard of this also but never tried it either. Can't be any different than hanging a deer in a cooler for a week. That meat is so much better than meat that was in an ice chest.

MaXXis85
11-30-2012, 11:14 AM
I have heard of this also but never tried it either. Can't be any different than hanging a deer in a cooler for a week. That meat is so much better than meat that was in an ice chest.
Yep, same concept.

swamp snorkler
11-30-2012, 11:26 AM

Look into but I think you need low humidity and a slight air flow, may have to put a small battery operated fan in the fridge.

cmcnabb
11-30-2012, 11:32 AM
I picked a speck and stuffed it with boudin, season a little and baked and it was awesome. Last night at work I cut up the breast meat on 3 specks and fried it like chicken nuggets. It didn't last long. Oh yea. Both of these birds were LESS than 12 hours from flying to bein eaten. If you gotta soak birds for 3 weeks before you can stand to eat them, why eat them?

MaXXis85
11-30-2012, 11:54 AM
I picked a speck and stuffed it with boudin, season a little and baked and it was awesome. Last night at work I cut up the breast meat on 3 specks and fried it like chicken nuggets. It didn't last long. Oh yea. Both of these birds were LESS than 12 hours from flying to bein eaten. If you gotta soak birds for 3 weeks before you can stand to eat them, why eat them?
I eat them as is. The wife on the other hand.... I want to try the aging once.