PDA

View Full Version : A/C Piping Sweating in Attic

Goooh
12-28-2012, 02:16 PM
I have a copper pipe sweating in the attic and drippin onto the sheet rock ceiling. There foam insulation on it, but it wasn't installed very well. Is this the best thing to use to correct it if installed properly?

Any recommendations on a better way to wrap the copper pipe and eliminate the risk of it sweating onto the ceiling in the future?

budndawn
12-28-2012, 02:56 PM
It should have foam insulation on it and all seams should be taped. There shouldn't be any exposed copper on the suction line.

mallard matt
12-28-2012, 05:06 PM
You need to remove all insulation and completly replace it with new 1 inch wall insulation and all seams need to be thoroughly glued to prevent air introution .Which creates condensation.The best way to do it is to pump down the unit and cut the pipe the slide it on.Instead of cutting the insulation length ways.But you'll need a vaccum pump and a torch,Or a technician if you need one of those pm me ill do it for cheap and you will never have that issue again

JAg
12-28-2012, 08:32 PM
what about the ducts sweating and dripping on sheet rock in the attic

fishinpox
12-28-2012, 08:59 PM

Over tonned unit , to much unit for the sqft of house. Is it a new house?

Goooh
12-28-2012, 09:47 PM
Over tonned unit , to much unit for the sqft of house. Is it a new house?

It's 6 yrs

Goooh
12-28-2012, 09:48 PM

I don't have any issue with the ducts, they're soft ducts an have some heavy insulation around them..

The line that is sweating is staining my ceiling inside the house.

fishinpox
12-28-2012, 10:13 PM
I was replying to jag question

JAg
12-30-2012, 05:12 PM
house is 20 + years old

Ray
12-31-2012, 09:39 AM

Is it hard duct or flex duct?
Either the insulation is missing, too thin, or worn.
Hard duct is not too efficient like the newer flex ducts.
Not having good ventilation in the attic don't help either.

Most of the time, if your a/c is over sized, or you are not getting enough air over the evap. coils, you will see a lot of condensation on the compressor. Check and see if it is sweating a lot on the compressor.
Be sure all of your outlet vents are open in each room, your filter is clean.
If it is not those, get someone to go check the coil or the freon charge and the duct insulation.

If you have ~400 to 500 sq. ft. per ton, you should be good on a 20 year old house.