PDA

View Full Version : Pelican kayak reviews

bgizzle
01-18-2013, 11:46 AM
Buddy is thinking of getting one just wondering if anyone has any info on them. Be very harsh on review because he wants to do it right but not spend Hobie money.

bmac
01-18-2013, 11:53 AM
Stay away from Pelican. The quality is not there and the construction method (two piece welded) is subpar compared to quality kayaks (rotomolded). He can get the 12' Pescador at just about any Academy for something like $499. That is a very good starter yak. If he is around Lafayette then he needs to go check out Pack and Paddle. They have some kayaks that are around $499 also. They will hook him up. I would demo something first if I were him, and P&P can help him with that too.

CaptainBG
01-18-2013, 12:15 PM
Yea I have seen couple of pelicans that have cracked at the seam I have the 14' heritage

RAGINJROB
01-21-2013, 10:32 PM
How much does he want to spend? Plenty of great used or demo kayaks out there if you search.

flounderpounder
01-26-2013, 07:31 AM
Ditto bmac's post. Expect a wet $$$. Not stable. I made the mistake years ago. Used it once and sold it immediately.

weedeater
01-26-2013, 01:11 PM
I always heard them put in the sinker category, I would get Pescador or Redfish if I wanted a new cheaper yak at Academy but tell him to check TKF.com, Southeasttexas.com, **sportsman.com and so on to find something rigged and ready. He can find a high end yak for $750ish that has a lot of extras and if he don't like it sell it and get his money back..... he will give the Pelican away to get rid of it.