PDA

View Full Version : Topwater

muddywater
05-01-2013, 12:52 PM
Im new to the site and fairly new to saltwater fishing.. What are some of the best topwater baits for trout and redfishing around Golden Meadow/Leeville/Grande Isle area without breaking the bank? and where is the best place to get them?

Any advice or help is appreciated.. Thanks

bjhooper82
05-01-2013, 01:36 PM
Academy. Spook jr's, & rapala skitter walks are pretty good in white, bone, black with chartreuse head, hot chartreuse, pink just to name a few. I'm sure more will chime in soon.

Clampy
05-01-2013, 01:39 PM
Spook Jrs and Skitterwalks and baby Skitterwalks. They only 2 topwaters you will ever need. SuperSpooks for bigger fish. Clown Color ,Pink&chrome ,Bone,and black and chart for spooks jrs. Bone/chart and Gold Mullet are my favorite skitters.

PotLikinisAhabbit
05-01-2013, 01:46 PM
Either the super or spook jr model bone color is hard to beat. I find it to be the most versatile color for most conditions.

PotLikinisAhabbit
05-01-2013, 01:52 PM
When the fish strikes do not pull the bait away from them, wait until you feel the fish on before you set the steel to him. They will often slap at the bait multiple times in one retrieve before committing. Fish will most likely be found in 3-4 ft water unless any drastic changes in weather for the next 2-3 weeks.

marshrunner757
05-01-2013, 03:39 PM
When the fish strikes do not pull the bait away from them, wait until you feel the fish on before you set the steel to him.

Great advice. But it takes some time to get used to Lol. I still find myself jerking only to find the top water lure sailing straight back at me. :eek::eek::eek:

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

meaux fishing
05-01-2013, 03:57 PM
On a trout I really dont "set" the hook with a tw. I just kinda lift the pole and start reeling

kajun87
05-01-2013, 06:43 PM
Black/chart and bone colored she dogs have been doing pretty good lately here in Grand Isle.

meaux fishing
05-01-2013, 10:50 PM
Bone n chrome is my favorite top to throw.

Gerald
05-01-2013, 11:10 PM
When the fish strikes do not pull the bait away from them, wait until you feel the fish on before you set the steel to him. They will often slap at the bait multiple times in one retrieve before committing. Fish will most likely be found in 3-4 ft water unless any drastic changes in weather for the next 2-3 weeks.

Great advice.

If the fish does not take lure after ......3 seconds, lift your rod tip up just enough to "twitch" the bait a little. Moving the bait a little will often trigger a strike. If nothing happens after another few seconds.....repeat.

Salty
05-02-2013, 12:49 AM
No need to set the hook when fishin topwaters. "Reel 'til ya feel". Honestly, does color really matter on a topwater lure? :rolleyes: :shaking:

eman
05-02-2013, 06:21 AM
No need to set the hook when fishin topwaters. "Reel 'til ya feel". Honestly, does color really matter on a topwater lure? :rolleyes: :shaking:
Maybe to the difference in dark vs light colors The rest is just to catch fishermen.;)

bjhooper82
05-02-2013, 06:24 AM

Me and two other guys who are members of this site went on a trip with capt Jack Corbello and I was throwing a small skitter walk in hot chartreuse and getting blown up pretty much every cast. They threw every color in the box at them and didn't catch anything. I caught 14 fish on that one bait, so I would say yes color really does matter on a top water lure.

Feesherman
05-02-2013, 07:20 AM
Me and two other guys who are members of this site went on a trip with capt Jack Corbello and I was throwing a small skitter walk in hot chartreuse and getting blown up pretty much every cast. They threw every color in the box at them and didn't catch anything. I caught 14 fish on that one bait, so I would say yes color really does matter on a top water lure.

Maybe the difference was in how u worked it. Or different line which offered more or less action. Could be more variables than just color.

Salty
05-02-2013, 11:53 AM

The difference is called "presentation".

jchief
05-02-2013, 01:32 PM
Probably 95% color doesn't matter, but sometimes I have seen it make a difference

Salty
05-02-2013, 02:17 PM
Probably 95% color doesn't matter, but sometimes I have seen it make a difference

I understand that there are circumstances that appear as though one color appeals to fish more than another at times. IMO, 5% is being pretty generous, however. I would think that sound and, more importantly, presentation are the deciding factors.

bjhooper82
05-02-2013, 05:52 PM
The difference is called "presentation".

So what your saying is I was the best fisherman in the boat that day??

muddywater
05-02-2013, 10:50 PM
Thanks for all the help and advice.. Pretty good folks around here.

Salty
05-02-2013, 11:43 PM
So what your saying is I was the best fisherman in the boat that day??

Maybe the luckiest? :rolleyes: There was something about the way you were presenting that particular lure that made the fish want to eat it. The fact that you were dragging it over feeding fish might have had something to do with it. :cool: When it boils right down to skill vs luck in fishing...luck will win every time.

mcjaredsandwich
05-03-2013, 04:40 AM
Maybe the luckiest? :rolleyes: There was something about the way you were presenting that particular lure that made the fish want to eat it. The fact that you were dragging it over feeding fish might have had something to do with it. :cool: When it boils right down to skill vs luck in fishing...luck will win every time.

Does your theory apply to suspenders both hard and soft plastic? Jerkbaits? Soft plastics for jigging?

bjhooper82
05-03-2013, 08:32 AM

What about the fact that 3 other people were dragging their top water bait, in different colors than mine, over the same feeding fish with no bite. One being a guide and the other two being very experienced fisherman?? I caught 14 fish, the other 3 combined caught 0. Maybe it dosent matter every day but fact is color mattered that day.

bjhooper82
05-03-2013, 08:32 AM
Does your theory apply to suspenders both hard and soft plastic? Jerkbaits? Soft plastics for jigging?

Lol, I was thinking the same thing.

mcjaredsandwich
05-03-2013, 08:58 AM
Also tell me salty...if color matters less than 5% of the time (since in your opinion 5% is too generous), then why do you paint specialty lures? According to you it only makes sense to paint less that 5% of the baits you paint. :rolleyes::spineyes:

BassAssasin
05-03-2013, 09:01 AM
Also tell me salty...if color matters less than 5% of the time (since in your opinion 5% is too generous), then why do you paint specialty lures? According to you it only makes sense to paint less that 5% of the baits you paint. :rolleyes::spineless:

pretty sure he was referring to topwater only

mcjaredsandwich
05-03-2013, 09:05 AM
pretty sure he was referring to topwater only

Ok then why paint more than 5% of his topwaters?

Salty
05-03-2013, 10:25 AM
Ok then why paint more than 5% of his topwaters?

I've painted and sold almost 200 of those WalMart "clearance" Spooks. I paint 'em whatever the customer wants. Makes me no difference. Fancy-painted lures catch fishermen and that suits me just fine.

And, yes, I was referring to topwater lures, only.

BassYakR
05-03-2013, 10:34 AM
Two days ago we pulled up to a set of birds and after a few casts the birds left. We were able to follow the school of fish bc they kept hitting bait on the surface. I was throwing an orange xrap and buddy was throwing a spec colored spook. He constantly got 2-3 blow ups per cast i got zero... After a few tries and constantly netting his fish i started using my spec colored mirrordine and instantly started catching fish. Color does matter in some circumstances i believe.

Samsung Galaxy S3 (Android dominating the world!)

Salty
05-03-2013, 10:46 AM
Two days ago we pulled up to a set of birds and after a few casts the birds left. We were able to follow the school of fish bc they kept hitting bait on the surface. I was throwing an orange xrap and buddy was throwing a spec colored spook. He constantly got 2-3 blow ups per cast i got zero... After a few tries and constantly netting his fish i started using my spec colored mirrordine and instantly started catching fish. Color does matter in some circumstances i believe.

This proves nothing. You're talkin totally different lures.

BassYakR
05-03-2013, 10:55 AM
I know switching to a mirrordine doesnt prove anything... But we were both throwing topwater at first but diff colors... They were destoying his... Wouldnt touch mine... There was no time to retie so i just went with the mirrordine i already had tied on.

bjhooper82
05-03-2013, 10:58 AM
What about the fact that 3 other people were dragging their top water bait, in different colors than mine, over the same feeding fish with no bite. One being a guide and the other two being very experienced fisherman?? I caught 14 fish, the other 3 combined caught 0. Maybe it dosent matter every day but fact is color mattered that day.

??????? No answer salty??

Salty
05-03-2013, 11:10 AM
??????? No answer salty??

PRESENTATION....like I posted earlier.

inchspinner
05-03-2013, 11:11 AM
Id say it matters to an extint pending water clarity the bottom half of the bait;) for the most part its presentation on how its twitched, ripped, popped, walked, paused, etc etc....they catch our eyes...you tend to have a confidence topwater bait....why....cause youve consistantly caught on that bait before!! Chunk what you like but learn different presentations for diff situations....according to bait in the water and whats working that day.....!;)

bjhooper82
05-03-2013, 11:13 AM
PRESENTATION....like I posted earlier.

BS.

Salty
05-03-2013, 11:16 AM
BS.

Fine, dude...believe what ya want. Think I'll save myself some effort from now on and just paint the belly of topwater lures and leave the rest like it is.

bjhooper82
05-03-2013, 11:17 AM
Fine, dude...believe what ya want. Think I'll save myself some effort from now on and just paint the belly of topwater lures and leave the rest like it is.

Good idea

mcjaredsandwich
05-03-2013, 11:17 AM

It'll catch more than 95% of the fish ;)

bjhooper82
05-03-2013, 11:18 AM
It'll catch more than 95% of the fish ;)

Lol

Capt.B
05-03-2013, 12:42 PM
Fine, dude...believe what ya want. Think I'll save myself some effort from now on and just paint the belly of topwater lures and leave the rest like it is.Just make sure the belly is white!! Winner everytime....;)

Top Dawg
05-03-2013, 12:45 PM

Lol

Salty
05-03-2013, 01:15 PM
Just make sure the belly is white!! Winner everytime....;)

^^^ This. White, pearl or bone belly on almost every lure I paint...topwater or not.

PotLikinisAhabbit
05-03-2013, 02:14 PM
^^^ This. White, pearl or bone belly on almost every lure I paint...topwater or not.

Nice contradiction... if your gonna say color doesn't matter then at least be consistent with your argument. Im no color whore but I do believe it is a small variable in the larger scheme of things that is worth experimenting with if fish are not cooperating.

Salty
05-03-2013, 02:19 PM
Nice contradiction... if your gonna say color doesn't matter then at least be consistent with your argument. Im no color whore but I do believe it is a small variable in the larger scheme of things that is worth experimenting with if fish are not cooperating.

Please explain how this is a "contradiction". Most baitfish have some variable of white on their belly. That, and it's what most people want. Google "contradiction".

PotLikinisAhabbit
05-03-2013, 02:24 PM

last time i checked white is a color... sorry but i do not need to check wikipedia for grade school definitions you might want to go brush up on your vocab. because there is clearly a con-tra-dic-tion in your argument.

meaux fishing
05-03-2013, 02:45 PM
I dont think color matters as much as contrast...Like a light or a dark bait. The presentation is also key. I have worked the same color a different way and started catching when I wasnt getting a sniff before.

Capt.B
05-03-2013, 02:55 PM
Id say it matters to an extint pending water clarity the bottom half of the bait;) for the most part its presentation on how its twitched, ripped, popped, walked, paused, etc etc....they catch our eyes...you tend to have a confidence topwater bait....why....cause youve consistantly caught on that bait before!! Chunk what you like but learn different presentations for diff situations....according to bait in the water and whats working that day.....!;)Bradda you jus said a mouf full and you aint bull****tin......JUSSSSSSSS/SAYYYYYYYYN:shaking:

Capt.B
05-03-2013, 03:00 PM
^^^ This. White, pearl or bone belly on almost every lure I paint...topwater or not.Y'all.....Salty is on point!!!!!!! He's paintin natural.....He want's a natural strike...not a reaction strike!!! THINK ABT IT.......:rolleyes::D

Hey Ted
05-03-2013, 03:11 PM
I wish W would give us his expertnant opinion.

Salty
05-03-2013, 06:49 PM
last time i checked white is a color... sorry but i do not need to check wikipedia for grade school definitions you might want to go brush up on your vocab. because there is clearly a con-tra-dic-tion in your argument.

Lemme see if I can adjust to your thinking.............:eek:

Since white is a color :spineyes:, I contradicted myself by saying that I use it on the bellies of most all lures I paint?

Adjustment FAIL!!!!

Goooh
05-03-2013, 07:59 PM

Since white is a color :spineyes:, I contradicted myself by saying that I use it on the bellies of most all lures I paint?

Adjustment FAIL!!!!

I think what had happened waaaas.... You said color ain't no matter, then you say it do matter cause you slappin' certain paints up on the belly all the time.

Countrydiction

Top Dawg
05-03-2013, 08:09 PM
Color don't matter

CaptainBG
05-03-2013, 08:11 PM
Color don't matter

I say it does in come conditions!

PotLikinisAhabbit
05-03-2013, 08:25 PM

Adjustment FAIL!!!!

you are literally too stupid to insult...

jchief
05-03-2013, 08:30 PM
Take the crap to the Net. Debate is good insulting yields infractions.

Salty
05-03-2013, 09:09 PM
Take the crap to the Net. Debate is good insulting yields infractions.

I don't do the Gill Net...send him there. Insults show intelligence. I think this is a pretty good topic.....less the undesirables.

Salty
05-03-2013, 09:13 PM
I think what had happened waaaas.... You said color ain't no matter, then you say it do matter cause you slappin' certain paints up on the belly all the time.

Countrydiction

And, I also said the reason I use some form of white on the belly is because it's the natural color. I'm not into the "Sexy Shads" and "Spectrums", but, I'll paint 'em any color a customer is willing to pay for.

Sabine slayer
05-04-2013, 08:16 PM
Contrast matters!!!!!!

Sabine slayer
05-04-2013, 08:20 PM
With that said I am hitting them with that bone 90% of the time