PDA

View Full Version : Review of Shimno Symetre 3000 FJ Reels for Inshore Use

MathGeek
06-25-2013, 01:38 PM
I've had eight Shimano Symetre 3000 FJ reels in use for about 60 fishing days so far, so I thought this was enough to offer some constructive review. Four of these are paired with 8' medium heavy Ugly Stik Catfish rods, and four are paired with 7' medium heavy Ugly Stik spinning rods. These rods are the mainstay of inshore and freshwater fishing in my boat and are used by my children and guests as well as my wife and myself. Until recently, they were all spooled with 30 lb power pro (~150 yards), but we recently converted two of them to 50 lb power pro to have more confidence cranking down the drag and horsing bigger fish away from structure. These two hold ~120 yards of 50 lb power pro.

The casting distance of these rigs is amazing with a 1-2 oz sinker and a relatively aerodynamic bait. It is not uncommon to only have 50 yards of line left on the spoon as the bait soaks. Castability with 1/4-1/2 oz spoons and jig heads is ok, usable but not astounding. Line lay and casting are flawless with no propensity for tangling, wind knots, or other fouling.

The reels have held up well for their first 60 fishing trips. Usually a long rides are involved with the rods bouncing around in the boat or car. Also, no one babies the reels in the boat, and reels often get tossed around a bit as everyone scrambles to get the lines in and get things out of the way for someone fighting a big fish. The structural integrity and functionality of the reels remains as good as new, and the only wear appears to be cosmetic from routine handling.

These rods have been in service since 2006-2007 and each rod is on its 2nd or 3rd reel (another brand). I definitely plan on sticking with the 8' Ugly Stik Catfish Medium Heavy if these ever need replacing.

SuperDave
06-25-2013, 01:44 PM
I have two and I like them a lot but my newest one, which is the revamped model, seems to be hard to reel in the line now. Not sure what the deal is but ill take it part this evening.

My older model worlds like a champ!!! Very dependable and affordable.