PDA

View Full Version : Buoys missing off Independence Island Reef

"W"
07-29-2013, 02:07 PM
:rotfl:
The Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries is requesting leads from the public regarding missing mooring buoys from Independence Island Reef.

Six buoys went missing in late June from the popular fishing spot about three miles northeast of Grand Isle, according to a press release from LDWF.
Anyone with tips can call the Operation Game Thief toll-free hotline at 1-800-442-2511, or text the tip to LDWF at 847411.
LDWF tip apps for iPhone and Android platforms are now available from iTunes and Google Play stores free of charge.
Removing the buoys brings a $250- to-$500 fine and 90 days in jail, the release states.
The buoys, which were part of a 2011 restoration project completed with LDWF and Coastal Conservation Association Louisiana, are provided to allow anglers an identifiable marker of the fishing spot.
Almost 8,000 tons of limestone were dropped from barges onto four acres where Independence Island was located in 2011. At the time, that project was believed to be the largest inshore limestone artificial reef project ever completed, the release states.

meaux fishing
07-29-2013, 02:15 PM
I saw that earlier today... somebody mad

"W"
07-29-2013, 02:33 PM
Im just waiting for the ones on big lake to "BE GONE" Amazed they are still in place

skeeter77346
07-29-2013, 07:02 PM
My 'guess' is it could be the 20 or State of Mississippi 'Captains' running out of Grand Isle, working the BP tar mats. What a bunch of Dumb-As. They run aground daily, wake local guides and fisherman and likely have run over every picket and buoy out there. They have no respect for the locals or the waters they run in.

I have a camp on GI and see it daily.

From what I have been told by the locals, they work for Danos on the cleanup, though a company owned by Rimmer Covington. Why LA skippers were not hired - makes no sense.

cajun bill
07-31-2013, 08:25 AM
I was fishing Independence Reef in June one early morning when I noticed a procession of identical boats, about 8-10, headed from North Barataria due South toward the pass. Don't know if they were the "Ms. Captains" that Skeeter is talking about, but they just skirted the reef so I'm guessing Skeeter is exactly right about what happened to the bouys.