PDA

View Full Version : Our First Garden

Matt G
04-07-2014, 08:25 AM
Browsing through the new gardening section and all the talk of tomatoes got me itching for some home grown vegetables so yesterday we headed to one of the local nurseries in search of some plants.

The only thing we were planning on getting were tomatoes but we couldn't contain ourselves and ended up with cherry tomatoes, roma tomatoes, celebrity tomatoes, squash, eggplant, zucchini, basil, cilantro, and parsley.

It took some convincing to get little man off of the playhouse and come help plant, but once he got in the dirt he knew what to do. I tried to get him to use the shovel, but he rather use his hands.

After some hard work moving all of that soil by hand little man now has his fisrt garden......... It should make it if I can get him to stop trying to pick the leaves off of the plants.

BassYakR
04-07-2014, 08:56 AM
Just like grocery shopping... Always come home with a lot more than you planned on getting.

Matt G
04-07-2014, 09:27 AM
Just like grocery shopping... Always come home with a lot more than you planned on getting.

You damn right. I would have bought one of everything if I had enough pots! I'm just hoping that it all pays off in the end and the plants produce.

Edit: We also got bell peppers. I forgot to mention those in the OP.

BassYakR
04-07-2014, 09:31 AM
id be willing to say that ull end up with more veggies than you could ever give away. lol

casmurf
04-07-2014, 11:21 AM
I think its great your getting the little one involved early.

duckman1911
04-07-2014, 12:16 PM
Hey Matt from the pic it looks like they're beside your carport. Just make sure they aren't in a spot were rain coming off your roof will beat them to death. Looks great man. Im thinking its gona be a pots and raised bed year for us. My garden spot is a freaking bog right now.

duckman1911
04-07-2014, 12:19 PM
Fresh basil smells so good :)

Matt G
04-07-2014, 12:24 PM
Thanks duck. I moved them to the side of my house where they'll get full sun. I put it all together under the porch because of the storms we were supposed to get that afternoon. I should have did it where I wanted to put them becasue those damn pots were heavy after putting all of that soil in them! Lol

duckman1911
04-07-2014, 12:36 PM
Find you a gypsy pepper or two Matt. They are the most amazing sweet pepper I have ever tasted. Kinda looks like a cross between a banana and a bell pepper.

Cappy
04-07-2014, 12:45 PM
Looks like a great start to what can become a fun, educational, and rewarding hobby for you and your Boy for a life time. Have fun with it.

simplepeddler
04-07-2014, 05:25 PM
Looks like a great start to what can become a fun, educational, and rewarding hobby for you and your Boy for a life time. Have fun with it.

X2..........Like hunting and fishing, this is a hobby he can do practically a lifetime

Garfish
04-08-2014, 11:59 AM
X2..........Like hunting and fishing, this is a hobby he can do practically a lifetime

Yep. My kids love doing it with me.

Cappy
04-08-2014, 01:03 PM
At da risk of bein' a back seat gardener, Mat if ya take the same area there and box it in with land scaping bricks or cross ties etc and make a bed there using the same dirt in the pots ya can grow 3 times as much in the same area and its even more fun for the kids. as long as ya do not make it over 4 ft wide you can reach across it from both sides and ya make it a solid bed and plant it like 1 big pot. With rich soil like ya used ya can plant stuff close together and it would do great. Kinda square foot style. ya got the pots already and a fine lookin helper there now so let us know how it goes.:)

Matt G
04-08-2014, 01:30 PM
Thanks Cappy. Depending on how it goes this year I'm planning on doing a raised bed next year. I'm figuring 4x12 or 4x16. This year was one of those spur of the moment type of things. The pots where there and nothing was on the agenda for the day so why not! I'll keep y'all posted on the progress. As long as they do better than my orange trees did, I'll be happy.

blackmamba
04-08-2014, 02:07 PM
Thanks Cappy. Depending on how it goes this year I'm planning on doing a raised bed next year. I'm figuring 4x12 or 4x16. This year was one of those spur of the moment type of things. The pots where there and nothing was on the agenda for the day so why not! I'll keep y'all posted on the progress. As long as they do better than my orange trees did, I'll be happy.

Same here. It's pots for me this year just to see if I picked the right spot in the yard.

Looks good man!

Cappy
04-08-2014, 05:22 PM
Where ya live Matt?? Citrus trees can be did, but are hard to get started if ya north of say I-10 or 190 even if ya far south ya still get a freeze, we lost a lime tree that was too small to make it this year. and a full grown satsuma up and died last year for no apparent reason das just how it goes. We figure we average maybe 50% of what we plant and consider that pretty good.

duckman1911
04-08-2014, 09:20 PM
Where ya live Matt?? Citrus trees can be did, but are hard to get started if ya north of say I-10 or 190 even if ya far south ya still get a freeze, we lost a lime tree that was too small to make it this year. and a full grown satsuma up and died last year for no apparent reason das just how it goes. We figure we average maybe 50% of what we plant and consider that pretty good.
Lost two satsumas and a lime tree this winter. Lemon tree is barely hanging on. This years winter was too brutal.

Matt G
04-08-2014, 11:20 PM

I'm in the Lafayette area. I planted a Valencia and a Washington navel 2 years ago and they both didn't grow an inch. The Valencia made 2 oranges and that was it. I'm thinking it may be a soil problem. I need to figure it out and get a couple more trees. I'd also like a fig tree in the near future. You can't beat some homemade fig cake!

SteelD
04-09-2014, 04:48 AM
Hey Matt, U can get sum info from the county agents office downtown bud!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mnormand
04-10-2014, 05:44 PM
I'm in the Lafayette area. I planted a Valencia and a Washington navel 2 years ago and they both didn't grow an inch. The Valencia made 2 oranges and that was it. I'm thinking it may be a soil problem. I need to figure it out and get a couple more trees. I'd also like a fig tree in the near future. You can't beat some homemade fig cake!

Matt I'm in Laffy too.. Have a blood orange tree that makes a pickup truck full most years. Excellent and very sweet once they start turning color inside. I'd plant another but it's too much!

Cappy
04-11-2014, 09:33 AM
We have: Louisiana Satsuma, Naval Orange, Ruby Red grapefruit, and Meyer Lemon. All recomended by Lsu. We tried a kiefer lime we ordered on line and it didnt make a year. It pays to check local sources as to what variety to plant.