PDA

View Full Version : End Rot?

spotchasin
05-20-2014, 12:07 PM
Found several squashes in my garden like this today. Is this blossom end rot? Some kind of fungus? How do I remedy whatever the problem is?

duckman1911
05-20-2014, 12:14 PM
Had a big problem with that year before last. Try mulching around them. I read somewhere that a bacteria in dirt is what causes bottom rot on tomataoes. Rain slpashes dirt onto the plants and the bacteria gets in. Not sure if its the same for squash but its worth a try.

Top Dawg
05-20-2014, 12:47 PM
Lack of calcium. Get u a couple sacks of lime and some oyster shells

Fishbum
05-20-2014, 01:00 PM
Lack of pollination a lot of pollen needs to be transferred from male to female flower. Try to attract more bee's to your garden.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Gerald
05-20-2014, 04:59 PM
Lack of pollination a lot of pollen needs to be transferred from male to female flower. Try to attract more bee's to your garden.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Squash plants need both male and female flowers to germinate and produce fruit. Sometimes when the plant first starts producing flowers there are no "male" flowers blooming yet, so the female flowers are not fertilized. It will start growing a squash but it usually will "rot" and die after it grows to a few inches in length. There are other things that can cause your problem, but since it is early in the growing process this is most likely your problem.

Once the male flowers bloom, your squash should grow normal. I have now picked about 8 yellow squash off of 7 plants and have a dozen+ more coming along.

I may pick my first cucumber this evening. Tomatoes plants are loaded, but will be a week+ before any are ready to pick.