PDA

View Full Version : Battery Breaker Issues

bohunterbiff
11-23-2009, 09:24 PM
I am having a problem with the breaker that is connected to the terminal on my trolling motor (24 volt system) batteries. It is tripping everytime the trolling motor is put into high. Do I need to simply change out the breaker with a new one or put on a larger one?

eman
11-23-2009, 09:30 PM
If the breaker is not old and weak then there is a reason that the breaker is tripping
Speed coil in motor could be sahorting. DO NOT go w/ larger breaker. you can try to replace ,But buse same amperage. if it trips time to get TM checked out.

bay_slayer
11-23-2009, 09:30 PM
you need to find out your amperage draw when you put your T/M in high before you change the breaker out. The breaker may be doing the job it was built to do....which is protecting the circuit from high amperage which could cause an electrical fire. Your T/M may have something wrong with it, i.e. loose connection, bad motor, bad hardware. I say get your t/m checked first.

fishinpox
11-23-2009, 10:13 PM
i had this happen b4 take the prop off and make sure there is no fishing line around the drive shaft!! mine would trip when put into high speed i think the string was causeing it to bog down

LaAngler
11-23-2009, 10:18 PM
salt (corrosion) causes the breakers to do this, time for a new one. I usually make up a jumper with alligator clamps and store it in the boat just in case it craps out while fishing.

bohunterbiff
11-23-2009, 10:21 PM
Thanks. Will check the trolling motor first and see what happens. I am going to change out the breaker switch with a new identical one also.

bohunterbiff
11-23-2009, 10:35 PM
Ya'll called it. Old fishing line and weeds wrapped around the prop shaft.

fishinpox
11-23-2009, 10:43 PM
Ya'll called it. Old fishing line and weeds wrapped around the prop shaft.

:smokin::smokin::smokin: make the check payable to senor fishinpox!!!!!