PDA

View Full Version : cas banann

lil bubba
07-05-2014, 03:29 PM
I don't know the correct spelling but when i was a kid my elders planted this along fences and it was 3-4 inches diameter by up to 2 feet long and had a bannana flavor. It is not a cacuttsy or however you spell that. My maw maw cook down with a lil sugar and it was like a bannana pudding. I would love to have one of these seeds.

lil bubba
07-05-2014, 03:59 PM
found this pic.

duckman1911
07-05-2014, 06:32 PM
What is it bubba? I'd like to have some myself.

duckman1911
07-05-2014, 06:49 PM
Banana Melon?

lil bubba
07-05-2014, 07:09 PM
I googled it and it is spelled cass banana. When cooked it taste of banana. I haven't seen any for 45 years or so. They were always grown on a fence. Actually besides my dad and grandpaw only maybe 2 or 3 other people i know of may have grown them around here. I am thinking this cass banana is what i'm looking for. Gunna have to look some more. duckman i got 3 straight 8 cukes i'm leaving on the vine , after i take out the seeds whats the best way to dry and keep for next year??????

duckman1911
07-05-2014, 07:26 PM
Leave those babies on the vine till you just can't stand it any longer.lol.
After seeding the cuck we put the seeds in a strainer and spray them with water to clean off all of the flesh from the cuck. After the seeds are clean spread them out to dry. If the seeds can get air flow from top and bottom the will dry better. After the seeds are completely dry store in a cool, dry area out of direct sunlight. Any small jar or plastic bottle can be used to store your seeds.
Only keep the seeds that are nice and plump after drying. If its flat just discard it.

lil bubba
07-05-2014, 07:40 PM
I just checked baker creek and i think they have what i'm looking for. I ordered a pack and I'll get with you when they come in and send you a few. Hey if they aint no good i'll give them to my brother n law in north la. to put out for hogs on his lease. They called cassa banana. From what i remember they used to just make a hill in about a 3 foot diameter circle and plant the seeds in the middle and they just ran on the fence.

duckman1911
07-05-2014, 08:20 PM
Baker Creek is a great place. We have had nothing but good results with their seeds.

simplepeddler
07-06-2014, 08:25 AM
interesting............

huggybro
07-07-2014, 11:43 AM
Old people called them cas banan. Guy from N La gave me some seeds one time and I grew some outside of Lafayette. Biggest one was about 8" in diameter and 2.5 feet in length. No one around Laf knew what to do with it.