PDA

View Full Version : Braid........

Dink
12-09-2009, 05:30 PM
Got New Diawa coastal reel today and a fresh batch of Samaurai Braid.............question.......why do I need to put the backing on before the braid?? I've always been told to so I did blindly without knowing.......someone told me it's so it doesn' sliip on 5he spool, anh ideas??? i'd raher jus pu he braid on.............hmmm he ke board seems o have issues..........ugh\

wtretrievers
12-09-2009, 05:38 PM
Some say it's to keep it from slipping on the spool & some say its to take the shock off the reel, braid has very little stretch if any, kinda like setting the hook with a log chain, no give & can be hell on gears.

BTW...... are you sure it's the keyboard that has issues?:grinpimp:

Dink
12-09-2009, 05:44 PM
rre sree i's he ke bard.........cra, gon io ge a new one.........he rod shoulkd ake up he slack making i easier on reel.......spool has holes in i, so if i pu he line hru he holes i won' slip..........problem solved, righ???

fishinpox
12-09-2009, 06:00 PM
i never use backing !

fishmaster911
12-09-2009, 06:22 PM
The backing keeps the braid from getting wedged between itself on the spool, like on the hook set or when u hook a tree and try to pull out.(like a bass master does) Once u fix ur bait or take the hook out the fish ur next cast will not go very far because the string is wedged on the spool

fishinpox
12-09-2009, 06:27 PM
The backing keeps the braid from getting wedged between itself on the spool, like on the hook set or when u hook a tree and try to pull out.(like a bass master does) Once u fix ur bait or take the hook out the fish ur next cast will not go very far because the string is wedged on the spool

regardless of backing or no backing braid will ALWAYS "dig in" to its self

fishmaster911
12-09-2009, 07:10 PM

pox, in not saying ur wrong but it hasn't happen since i started putting backing on it . i use braid alot, flippin jigs in heavy cover for bass and yankin reds from the marsh grass!

"W"
12-09-2009, 07:12 PM
Stay away from Braid

PUREBAY2200
12-09-2009, 08:46 PM
Stay away from Braid

u talkin bout hair styles right???:p

Salty
12-09-2009, 09:02 PM
rre sree i's he ke bard.........cra, gon io ge a new one.........he rod shoulkd ake up he slack making i easier on reel.......spool has holes in i, so if i pu he line hru he holes i won' slip..........problem solved, righ???

Decipherin' this is a piece of cake for us. We get this from W 24/7.

eman
12-09-2009, 09:05 PM
u talkin bout hair styles right???:p
Man, The W aint got enough hair for a flat top much less Braids.:cry::*****:

PUREBAY2200
12-09-2009, 09:07 PM
neither do i!!!!!
i got a solar panel on top of my head!!!

Salty
12-09-2009, 09:07 PM
Man, The W aint got enough hair for a flat top much less Braids.:cry::*****:

:eek: :grinpimp:

fishmaster911
12-09-2009, 09:14 PM
yall dudes crack me up :*****:

PUREBAY2200
12-09-2009, 09:42 PM
yall dudes crack me up :*****:

sometimes i laugh so hard my hair falls out:grinpimp::*****:

speck-chaser
12-09-2009, 11:42 PM
dang, yall set the hook so hard it goes all the way to the spool? Might need a lil more string on that reel.lol

fishinpox
12-09-2009, 11:52 PM
dang, yall set the hook so hard it goes all the way to the spool? Might need a lil more string on that reel.lol

thats what im sayin!

fritz20
12-10-2009, 12:37 AM
Some folks think that braid can actually wear into the spool over time, causing the spool to get small grooves where the line has worn into it. I have never seen this first hand nor do I think it will happen with a decent reel. However, I always put backing with braid, but I do it because I don't like to fill the entire spool with line. I put a good bit of backing then braid. Those curados have a big spool and I don't think it is necessary to fill it all the way up. Plus it is expensive :grinpimp:

fishmaster911
12-10-2009, 07:54 AM

It won't go all the way to the spool! ! It will wedge into the first few layers on the spool! Funny and true story I have a buddy that thinks he is a bassmaster! I have seen him set the hook so hard the fish flew out the water and land on the other side the boat ! Lol

Dink
12-10-2009, 08:19 AM
It won't go all the way to the spool! ! It will wedge into the first few layers on the spool! Funny and true story I have a buddy that thinks he is a bassmaster! I have seen him set the hook so hard the fish flew out the water and land on the other side the boat ! Lol

ou mus be fishin w/ m broher!!

jpeff31787
12-10-2009, 08:38 AM
what kind of backing or ya'll talking about? I fish with braid on every reel pretty much and what i do for my baitcasters is put some mono on the spool first then tie my braid to it and for my spinning reels i put some electrical tape on my spool then put my sting on. Thats what yall call backing??

jpeff31787
12-10-2009, 08:40 AM

LMAO sounds like us when we go fishing.. Thats a daily occurence when your fishing topwater for bass. Especially with ribbits and a 7ft med heavy rod lol I'll yank a 1 1/2lb bass clean out the water. But trust me those hard hook sets are worth it when that 6lber takes that bait.

Dink
12-10-2009, 08:48 AM
LMAO sounds like us when we go fishing.. Thats a daily occurence when your fishing topwater for bass. Especially with ribbits and a 7ft med heavy rod lol I'll yank a 1 1/2lb bass clean out the water. But trust me those hard hook sets are worth it when that 6lber takes that bait.

ou beer no pull anhing like ha sunda w/ me in he boa!!! speciall w/ a plug and all denm hooks on i!!!

longsidelandry
12-10-2009, 08:49 AM
Tim, you really need to fix your keyboard lol

speck-chaser
12-10-2009, 09:51 AM
I was thinking the same thing. I dont guess his speech is slurrrrrrrredd,like his typing hugh? lol

wtretrievers
12-10-2009, 09:53 AM
Tim, you really need to fix your keyboard lol
He may have went to the same Christmas party as Ray!

longsidelandry
12-10-2009, 09:56 AM
lol it looks like somebody jacked his t and y keys

Montauk17
12-10-2009, 10:31 AM
ou beer no pull anhing like ha sunda w/ me in he boa!!! speciall w/ a plug and all denm hooks on i!!!
Too many jack and cokes?

fritz20
12-10-2009, 10:37 AM
I set the hook hard as he!! and never had digging problems.

jpeff31787
12-10-2009, 10:47 AM

I'm sorry can you repeat that :*****:

nah i take it easy on the specs.. geez that was hard to read :rotfl:

jpeff31787
12-10-2009, 10:49 AM
I set the hook hard as he!! and never had digging problems.

what braid you use?? I usually have problem for a couple trips after i respooled it.. One braid that i really like is the spiderwire invisibraid. Its super soft and smooth and i don't think that one dug like powerpro does at first

mikedatiger
12-10-2009, 11:22 AM

Not on spinning reels. Have to use backing on spinning reels...

fritz20
12-10-2009, 11:28 AM
what braid you use?? I usually have problem for a couple trips after i respooled it.. One braid that i really like is the spiderwire invisibraid. Its super soft and smooth and i don't think that one dug like powerpro does at first
I use 20lb powerpro on my trout rod. It softens after some use. The only time it messes up is after fighting a bull red then i just let some line out and reel it back in. Problem solved. Are you sure you are spooling the line on there tight? I use the big nasty stuff (50lb) for bass fishing heavy cover and never have problems.

jpeff31787
12-10-2009, 11:34 AM
I use 20lb powerpro on my trout rod. It softens after some use. The only time it messes up is after fighting a bull red then i just let some line out and reel it back in. Problem solved. Are you sure you are spooling the line on there tight? I use the big nasty stuff (50lb) for bass fishing heavy cover and never have problems.

i probably dont spool it on tight enough i guess.. I try to put my spool helper thing as tight as i can, but like you said it tightens up eventually.. I hate how when you just caught a fish then you recast it out and the line dug into itself and your bait frikin pops back right at you! Happens too often... But i use the same thing for trout and the same thing for my flippin rod for bass. But for my light lures like flukes, worms, crankbaits etc. I use that spiderwire invisibraid. Go check it out. I think it cast better too

Fishmaster
12-10-2009, 11:39 AM
i probably dont spool it on tight enough i guess.. I try to put my spool helper thing as tight as i can, but like you said it tightens up eventually.. I hate how when you just caught a fish then you recast it out and the line dug into itself and your bait frikin pops back right at you! Happens too often... But i use the same thing for trout and the same thing for my flippin rod for bass. But for my light lures like flukes, worms, crankbaits etc. I use that spiderwire invisibraid. Go check it out. I think it cast better too

One word to fix all of your problems..... MONO!

fritz20
12-10-2009, 11:44 AM
I never get it that bad where the lure comes back at me. The worst I get is my first few casts won't be quite as far then it is fine. Make sure you have plenty of pressure on the line when you are spooling it cause your problem definitely seems like you are not spooling tight enough. I tried some other brands of braid and the only one I like as much as powerpro is Berkley Fireline, but it costs more then powerpro so I don't buy it.

Dink
12-10-2009, 01:03 PM
Keyboard at home has broken t and y key..........getting new one today......... I spooled new reel up last night, It's loose as hell............gonna be a rough day on sunday till it tightens up.............

My plan is to hook a 9lber first thing and let it run for a bit then reel it in, that'll get the line tight on the spool!!!

longsidelandry
12-10-2009, 01:16 PM
Keyboard at home has broken t and y key..........getting new one today......... I spooled new reel up last night, It's loose as hell............gonna be a rough day on sunday till it tightens up.............

My plan is to hook a 9lber first thing and let it run for a bit then reel it in, that'll get the line tight on the spool!!!
I coulda hooked you up with a keyboard, tell me you didn't go buy one!!

fishmaster911
12-10-2009, 01:19 PM
I use cheap 12 lb mono for backing and 20 lb POWER PRO ! I had problems with spider wire now I like to use 10lb fireline on my spinning reels!

Dink
12-10-2009, 01:27 PM
I coulda hooked you up with a keyboard, tell me you didn't go buy one!!

didn't buy one yet, but was going to later today............

longsidelandry
12-10-2009, 01:31 PM
The only ones we have are p/s2 though, I just went look. We don't have any usb one's left.

Dink
12-10-2009, 01:46 PM
The only ones we have are p/s2 though, I just went look. We don't have any usb one's left.

Huh??? is your keyboard broken too?? what language is that??

longsidelandry
12-10-2009, 01:50 PM
lol we only have the one's with the round plugs, not the one's with the flat plugs

Jordan
12-10-2009, 01:53 PM
lol we only have the one's with the round plugs, not the one's with the flat plugs

lmao, im not conputer genuis but i knew what u was saying..:spineyes:

Dink
12-10-2009, 01:54 PM

Ok, now your talking Tim language...............I think I just found one that'll work here at the shop..........all the "flat" (with the little screwy things on the sides) plugs are the same right??

longsidelandry
12-10-2009, 01:57 PM
Ok, now your talking Tim language...............I think I just found one that'll work here at the shop..........all the "flat" (with the little screwy things on the sides) plugs are the same right??
You have a plug like this on a keyboard??

Dink
12-10-2009, 02:00 PM
Yeah.........that's it. Looks like a top half of a yeild sign with the screwy things on the sides...............ok, I'm pulling your leg now...........sorry Ross........bored at the shop......................................

longsidelandry
12-10-2009, 02:01 PM
lol I was like man I've never seen a keyboard like that!

jpeff31787
12-10-2009, 03:48 PM
I never get it that bad where the lure comes back at me. The worst I get is my first few casts won't be quite as far then it is fine. Make sure you have plenty of pressure on the line when you are spooling it cause your problem definitely seems like you are not spooling tight enough. I tried some other brands of braid and the only one I like as much as powerpro is Berkley Fireline, but it costs more then powerpro so I don't buy it.

i tried fireline once.. Its more expensive and it SUCKSSS!! Don't ever get it! Its real hard, doesn't cast worth a crap, and really rough on the rod eyes. It is probably the stiffest of the braids. I can't see how anyone can like that stuff. Might as well just spool on some wire.

I hope your plan comes through dink...
I'm ready to get out there though, I hope the water isn't chocolate milk!

fritz20
12-10-2009, 06:12 PM
i tried fireline once.. Its more expensive and it SUCKSSS!! Don't ever get it! Its real hard, doesn't cast worth a crap, and really rough on the rod eyes. It is probably the stiffest of the braids. I can't see how anyone can like that stuff. Might as well just spool on some wire.
"Once" is not enough for any braided line to properly break in. They put a coating on the line that has to be somewhat worn for the line to become pliable. Powerpro used to come with a really thick coating that made the moss green line look black. People started complaining because they thought the line was too stiff so they eased up on the coating. The reason you like spiderwire is because it has little to no coating. This allows the line to be quite limber when new, however it will not last as long as other lines. I have powerpro on a spinning reel that is 2 years old.

Salty
12-10-2009, 09:09 PM
Yeah.........that's it. Looks like a top half of a yeild sign with the screwy things on the sides...............ok, I'm pulling your leg now...........sorry Ross........bored at the shop......................................

:eek:

:confused: