PDA

View Full Version : Tree roots

PotLikinisAhabbit
05-02-2015, 12:20 PM
Anything I can do about surface roots other than cutting the tree down?

Smalls
05-02-2015, 12:38 PM
Not much. Surface roots, when present, are typically the support system of a tree. If you kill them, you might as well cut the tree down, because its integrity will be compromised. Might very well kill the tree if you kill those roots.

PotLikinisAhabbit
05-02-2015, 01:30 PM
I was thinking maybe bringing in top soil to cover then re-sod. Would that kill the tree if I cover the roots? Will they just find their way back to the surface?

mnormand
05-02-2015, 01:51 PM
My neighbor has a live oak w that prob, he covered all w loads of free Laf compost. Tree really doing well now.

Cappy
05-02-2015, 01:53 PM
When I have a question like this that I can't answer I consult the fine folks that are very happy to help and answer your questions.

http://www.lsuagcenter.com/

If ya cant find all ya need there is a contact spot send dan gill a email he will gladly respond. Not being a gardening expert I use them a lots

Smalls
05-02-2015, 02:04 PM
I was thinking maybe bringing in top soil to cover then re-sod. Would that kill the tree if I cover the roots? Will they just find their way back to the surface?
Ah, well, I don't see that harming the tree any. Doesn't mean they won't come back to the surface, but I've seen individual trees within the same species that have surface roots, and others that don't.

Matt G
05-02-2015, 03:34 PM
I have the same issue with some of the trees at my house. I'm thinking about covering with topsoil or a bed builder and then mulching it. Gets rid of the surface roots and dresses it up a bit.

My great grandpa used to always say to put crawfish peelings in the hole when you plant a tree. He said they did that way back when and none of the roots would come to the surface. We did it when we planted my dads oak trees about 20 yrs ago and none of them have surface roots. Who knows if that's the reason though.

PotLikinisAhabbit
05-02-2015, 05:06 PM
Thanks for the feedback fellas. I'll give the LSU boys a call Monday. If I cut it down I will be replanting and will try the crawfish peel technique.

T-TOP
05-03-2015, 10:07 AM
I have killed a couple of my smaller trees by covering the root system with to much topsoil. I knew I was running the risk of killing a few when I did it, but I had to. I read Whether it be soil of mulch, it's not good for the tree. If you have I think you have to take it slow 1-1/2 to 2 inches per year. Couple of my big live oaks were shocked and lost leaves early, new leaves came this spring. But I was told it could take a couple years for a tree to die from this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk