PDA

View Full Version : Squirrels in the tomatoes!

pricecb
05-10-2015, 07:15 AM
These tree rats keep on stealing my tomatoes. I need some ideas on how to keep them out.

Wish I could just give my nephew a bad of pellets and the ole Benjamin pellet gun but that won't fly around here.
So any ideas would be great.

lil bubba
05-10-2015, 07:50 AM
I bought a trap from home depot when I thought they were eating my oranges couple years ago...Baited with peanut butter... Come to find out it wasn't squirrel's all I caught was rats from the neighbor next door...I got a couple tomato love'n mocking birds right now...Gunna have to try the trap on them...

meaux fishing
05-10-2015, 07:54 AM
squirrel season is open right now till the 24th...just sayin

pricecb
05-10-2015, 09:50 AM
I bought a trap from home depot when I thought they were eating my oranges couple years ago...Baited with peanut butter... Come to find out it wasn't squirrel's all I caught was rats from the neighbor next door...I got a couple tomato love'n mocking birds right now...Gunna have to try the trap on them...

I saw one of the bastards running up a tree with one in its mouth. FYI they eat oranges too. Seen that at my dads house, but they just shootem. I can't do that here, to many bleeding hearts.

Gerald
05-10-2015, 11:12 PM
You could try this....... It worked on my bell peppers. After a couple of weeks the squirrels stopped eating the peppers. I put a staple on each side of the stem. I also has to poke a hole in the bottom to let water drain out.

doughutchinson
05-12-2015, 01:46 PM
I put Cayanne pepper on mine it stops them for a while

Cappy
05-13-2015, 10:25 AM
I tried the zip bags but the peppers steamed and got soft in the heat.

Gerald
05-13-2015, 08:56 PM
I tried the zip bags but the peppers steamed and got soft in the heat.

My garden gets a lot of shade.....so I did not have that problem. This was in early June.

pricecb
05-13-2015, 10:01 PM
Thanks for the ideas. It burns me up these are the nicest tomato plants I've ever had and these SOBs stealin my fruit. At least a dozen so far.

Had the wife believing I was gonna shoot the dog for sleepin on duty. I walked in the back yard and he's passed out on his back sleepin so hard his tounge is on the ground. All the while a squirrel is 15' from him grabbing a tomato.

I have a fake Owel, cayanne pepper, and tin plates.

bearwrestler
05-18-2015, 03:13 PM
Look at the BMI bodytraps on you tube.

mriguy
05-18-2015, 03:39 PM
The neighbors don't have to know.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

swamp snorkler
06-08-2015, 12:22 PM
These tree rats keep on stealing my tomatoes. I need some ideas on how to keep them out.

Wish I could just give my nephew a bad of pellets and the ole Benjamin pellet gun but that won't fly around here.
So any ideas would be great.

FWIW, My uncle lived in Thibodaux and would shoot squirrels all the time, it was a never ending battle the were always in his fig tree. He also used a big rat trap baited with peanut butter and killed them. Maybe feed them some peanuts or something, those are cheap.