PDA

View Full Version : Need help

Hopedale Hustler
05-29-2009, 09:03 AM
launch the boat this morning..tur the key..the starter is just spinning but is not jumping to the fly wheel...wat can this be..its nnot siezed i dont think..i sprayed a whole can of wd40 on it and hit it with a hammer lightly..??? im stumped..im trying to figure out if i will have to get the starter rebuilt or what..any info or help would be appreciated..

LittleRob
05-29-2009, 09:20 AM
Get with Deadly D he can probly help you, he has a real good friend who is am outboat mech.

LaAngler
05-29-2009, 09:28 AM
did you try and pry upward with a screwdriver?

Hopedale Hustler
05-29-2009, 09:34 AM
yes i did..nothing..it mite be a bad connection..but i dont think..should i load test the starter motor..??..this cant be happening...this motor is my life..i use it everyday..it s how i make a living right now..and something like this happens and really messes u up.

bigdog
05-29-2009, 10:10 AM
What year, make and hp motor you have,

05-29-2009, 11:24 AM
It sounds like the bendix is not engaging. Make sure that all of your electrical connections are tight and that your battery has a full charge.

BIGJ
05-29-2009, 12:38 PM
If you have disconnected your battery lately, make sure you didn't
reconnect the posts backwards. Happen to me one time.:spineyes:

flounder_smacker
05-29-2009, 01:00 PM
put a fresh battery on it and see what happens

bigdog
05-29-2009, 01:29 PM
The gear on top of the starter is the pinion gear. It can jam from a number of reasons. The teeth can be worn out , the spring on top of the gear could be broken or lack if lubrication. There are some grooves on the shaft the pinion gear rides on. Put a very small amount of grease, very light on these grooves. Turning the gear backward, you may have to turn the flywheel backward an inch as well, push down on the gear to free it. Run it up and down a few times to lubricate the gear.At the same time check the spring that it is intact. Look at the pinion gear itself for excessive wear.If the gear is worn out it can be replaced without having to replace the whole starter.

Hope this helps.:grinpimp:

Hebert
05-29-2009, 03:00 PM
most often than not this is a weak battery...try a fresh charged or new battery..

Hopedale Hustler
05-29-2009, 04:00 PM
thanks fo the help guys i will try it...and let yall know

Deadly D
05-29-2009, 05:26 PM
Ill bet 99% your bendix is out if you tried prying up on it very easy and it didnt move. your battery would have too almost dead not to move it. Not a good idea to spray with oil, just lubricate gears with a light coat of teflon grease. pm me if you cant get it going

coachlaw
05-29-2009, 06:09 PM
I'm sure you can get better advice than this, but my dad had an old '77 Evinrude 115 that would do this from time to time. Dad always kept a ball peen hammer in the tool box and he would whack it good. VVVRRROOOOOOOOMMMMMM!

Not very scientific, and it sounds crazy, but oddly, it always worked. Never replaced anything by the time we traded the rig in for a bigger boat.

bigdog
05-29-2009, 06:15 PM
Hey Coach, My dad has a 76 Evinrude 85 it the same way.

Hopedale Hustler
05-29-2009, 08:15 PM
ive been doing the hammering thing for a while...but its the starter fellas..i put a load test on it..it dropped to zero..i still need help finding a starter..its a 86 evinrude 40..i think i found the problem..if anybody thinks im wrong please let me know..

Deadly D
05-29-2009, 09:03 PM
I'm sure you can get better advice than this, but my dad had an old '77 Evinrude 115 that would do this from time to time. Dad always kept a ball peen hammer in the tool box and he would whack it good. VVVRRROOOOOOOOMMMMMM!

Not very scientific, and it sounds crazy, but oddly, it always worked. Never replaced anything by the time we traded the rig in for a bigger boat.
Sorry but I do know a little about outboards and mudboats. I have rebuilt a few and do all the maintance on ouf fleet at the lodge

"W"
05-29-2009, 09:28 PM
:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:: rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::grinpimp::grinp imp::grinpimp::grinpimp::grinpimp::grinpimp::rotfl ::*****::*****::rotfl::*****:I'm sure you can get better advice than this, but my dad had an old '77 Evinrude 115 that would do this from time to time. Dad always kept a ball peen hammer in the tool box and he would whack it good. VVVRRROOOOOOOOMMMMMM!

coachlaw
05-29-2009, 09:59 PM
Deadly, there is little doubt of that, and if you look at my post, I said this: "I'm sure you can get better advice than this . . . "

Where did you get that I was saying I knew better than you? The only time I ever know more than most of the people I'm talkin' to is when I'm talking history or baseball. Even then sometimes I'm wrong.

Gerald
05-29-2009, 11:34 PM
A few years ago, I had a similar problem, the stater motor just did not have the power to turn the engine over.

If your load test showed "zero" I think your problem is a bad wire on one of your starter motor brushes.

When I took mine apart......to an untrained eye, everything look ok. I took the stater motor to a motor shop and after taking the motor apart, the guy quickly spotted a slight discoloration in one wire and said that I need new brushes. The wire looked good to me.....but new brushes [they come with the wires attached] fixed the problem.

Like someone said.....if the gear that ingauges the flywheel is not jumping up, it maybe worn out and needs replacing. You will need to loosen the starter motor mounting bolts or take the flywheel off to change this gear.

bigdog
05-30-2009, 12:01 AM
Hey HH,
Here where i'd find parts numbers for evinrude outboards.

http://shop2.evinrude.com/ext/index.aspx?s1=9c2a445f671c9396ba71364f0e7cca83

Starter for 1986 40 hp = 389275

Then I cross reference the OEM part number to Sierra here.

http://ww2.sierramarine.com/sierra/catalogjava/category.asp

Sierra part number is = 18-5646 If you goggle the sierra part number it about 150 dollars.

Now if you know some one with an account at Donovan Marine it much less.http://ww2.sierramarine.com/Sierra/catalog/intimages/18-5646.jpg

Hope this Helps..:smokin: