PDA

View Full Version : changing alternator on 2012 chevy traverse

BassAssasin
07-30-2015, 02:53 PM
my wifes alternator on her traverse went out this week. Repair shops want $1200 to replace. This blew my mind! Does anyone happen to know where I can find instructions or a video on how to do it myself??

I want to know what Im getting into before I start taking things apart. It looks really hard to get to

BassYakR
07-30-2015, 03:03 PM
Id do a google search for it... never seen a job that there wasnt a video on youtube or full writeup somewhere.

BassAssasin
07-30-2015, 03:11 PM
Id do a google search for it... never seen a job that there wasnt a video on youtube or full writeup somewhere.

thats what I thought too! searched for an hour before I posted on here. Best I found was how to change the belt. Im biting the bullet. no more new tackle for me for a while.

meaux fishing
07-30-2015, 03:12 PM
shouldnt be that hard to change an alternator... take a pic of the front of the engine compartment

BassAssasin
07-30-2015, 03:12 PM
what burns my *** the most is it used to be so easy to change the alternator. I had a 94 f150 in college, and I changed that sucker out in a 2 hrs, and that was back when I was a dumbass

BassAssasin
07-30-2015, 03:13 PM
shouldnt be that hard to change an alternator... take a pic of the front of the engine compartment

from what the shops are telling me, you have to pull the radiator out

BassYakR
07-30-2015, 03:14 PM
Thats crazy...

meaux fishing
07-30-2015, 03:14 PM
go to autozone or oreilly and buy this book
http://www.haynes.com/products/productID/989

Gerald
07-30-2015, 03:21 PM
Most radiators are fairly easy to change/remove out.

Check Youtube..... usually there is a video that cover most things.

On most trucks, it is located on the bottom of the engine, and hardest part is lifting the starter up with one arm and then getting a bolt started.

Matt G
07-30-2015, 03:31 PM
$1,200 to change an alternator?? Holy crap! I swear they design vehicles now to where you have to bring them in just to change the battery. No more weekend shade tree mechanicin'.

BassAssasin
07-30-2015, 03:49 PM
I gave up. Id rather pay the money than bloody my knuckles, curse, sweat and cry in 100 degree weather this weekend. Im going buy that book though for the next time!!!

BassAssasin
07-30-2015, 04:04 PM
now im free to fish the tourney!!

swampman46
07-30-2015, 04:23 PM
Try the mom and pop, off the beaten path repair shops. Sometimes the savings can be substantial.

alphaman
07-30-2015, 06:38 PM
I use to work at a mechanic shop. of you didn't get it done yet I can take a look at. but that price is SKY HIGH. I'm in lafayette and can probably change it tomorrow afternoon.

that's a Mortal Combat finishing move they are about to do to your pocket book.

kcinnick
07-30-2015, 09:56 PM
I thought I posted. That is a $275-$325 job. You don't have to take the Radiator out, maybe the radiator fan, that is a few bolts. They can probably do it from underneath with a lift. I would check other things on the serpentine belt, I change the water pump every time a belt comes off one of my vehicles, oh, and get a new belt.

Don't pay $1200.

alphaman
07-30-2015, 10:06 PM
I'll do it for ya

BassAssasin
07-31-2015, 08:20 AM
I'll do it for ya

Damn! I had to make the call by 4:30 so I could order the part from another source and have it here today. Wife needs her car. Next time Ill check with you first, would much rather give you my money than some shop. Lesson learned

southern151
07-31-2015, 01:18 PM
Guys, call me!!!! I've got data on every major manufacturer out there through Alldata.

BassAssasin
07-31-2015, 02:24 PM
Guys, call me!!!! I've got data on every major manufacturer out there through Alldata.

Damnit! im not looking at this thread anymore. haha
Next time I will call you first! and then Alphaman if I still cant do it

DonC357
02-27-2016, 06:41 PM
Hey guys I am having the same issue with my alternator... What is the best way to get to the Alternator

selout
02-28-2016, 08:22 AM
The coolant recovery jug has to be removed, not the radiator, also the engine strut mount and bracket. The top nut on the front engine mount has to be removed so you can lift the engine up a little. The lower alternator bolt is also part of the idler pulley. Not hard to replace just a bit time consuming. Let me know if you need any help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

caveman78
06-02-2016, 10:34 PM
This job is not a 1200 dollar job. An hour and a half once you know how to do it.
You need a 10mm,13, 14 and a 15mm. A two piece flat belt tensioner bar and a E8 socket.
Remove the right front wheel and the front wheel well panel. Take the belt off and unbolt the idler pulley under the alt. It bolts to the under side of the alt. Next from the top take the nuts off the studs and remove the clips that hold the wires and hoses. I forgot to mention to remove the radiator overflow first sorry. Next us a E8 socket to remove both studs above the alt. Two people at this point really helps. Do not try to pull it from the top. The alt will slide out the right front wheel well with somewhat ease. To take it out from the top could require fan removal and not necessary. Please make sure the battery is disconnected first. I did this from the right side of the engine where they recommend jumper cable placement. I hope this helps. I saved my sister a lot of money. About 170 for the alt and a couple of hours of repairing cause it was my first with this vehicle as well. E8 socket if you don't know what it is. The best I can describe is a reversed star bit socket. Good luck hope this helps to save you money as well

Gerald
06-03-2016, 01:01 AM
I have changed several alternators in my time, but none in the last 12+ years.

One's I have changed were much easier. Jack up the truck, disconnect the battery hot lead.

Crawl under truck and disconnect the wires on the alternator. Support the alternator and take out the 2 bolts and lower the alternator to the ground.

Hard part is to lift up the new alternator with one hand and get a bolt started to hold it up.

Job takes 1 hour tops.

My truck is 11 years old and alternator still working good.

alphaman
06-03-2016, 12:56 PM
Old post

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk