PDA

View Full Version : G/C 1/8-1/9

Raymond
01-10-2010, 08:48 PM
Sat morning started off very cold(27) with ice in the ditches and the errie sound of a skill saw as we skimmed over the frozen water. We jumped off into more ice in the ditches on our lease and had trouble steering the shallow water. The trip into our marsh would not get any easier, everything was frozen solid and the boat got high centerd several times trying to navigate. I had Ryan (aka Big) and a client with me on the adventure and it was and adventure. We planned to hunt the cane Jordan and I hunted last Sunday in order to stay out of the bitting wind. Our first two ducks were mallards, then came a grey and a pintail. In total we killed 10 big ducks but were only able to pickup 6 due to the ice. There were plenty of ducks but they were very spookey.

Sunday brough more of the same only worse. The clear skys and falling wind allowed the ice to double in thickness versus sat morning. Big and I decided to hunt the blind in our big lake since it would not be frozen. Sure enough, our first birds were 3 mallards of which I downed 2 drakes. Next birds were teal and grey ducks. Ended the morning with 3 teal, 2 mallards, and 1 grey. Will post pics of ducks and ice later, my camera would not work it was so cold.
Ready for it to warm up a bit now.

southern151
01-10-2010, 08:54 PM
Sounds like a hard day's work! I don't blame ya though, while it may be a lot of work, it sounds like a lot of fun!

huntin fool
01-10-2010, 08:56 PM
killed 18 yesterday and 0 today

specktator
01-10-2010, 09:06 PM
Killed 10 bootlips 1 teal 1 widgeon 2 ross geese 1 speck and 1 eaglehead in whiteville this morning.

meaux fishing
01-10-2010, 10:51 PM
killed 6 yesterday.... no ducks today but got 1 juve speck