PDA

View Full Version : Weirs........

"W"
02-23-2010, 07:29 PM
About two years ago I was sitting on my tailgate drinking a few beers talking with a guide about redfish at the weirs! We were discussing the number of reds taken each day.......

In our discussion we talked about how the weirs are not good for our lake but yet trap our fish!!!

We both agreed that the weirs should be off limits to fishing for 1000 feet both ways! This give our fish a chance to leave with out having 50 jig heads thrown at them!

What do you guys think about making the weirs off limits for fishing? Making a 1000 feet rule

Salty
02-23-2010, 07:31 PM
Sounds like a great idea...just get a bigger spool.

Jordan
02-23-2010, 07:35 PM
I agree with salty. W. That's ur hot spot man!

Mediumheavyaction6'6
02-23-2010, 07:36 PM
that sounds like a great idea.....but you will never get most of the people who fish that area to agree with you. there is not an ounce of conservation in most people in this state. people still believe they can pay for their boats if they bring enough fish home. conservation won't occur here until it is called replenishing the stock.

Salty
02-23-2010, 07:42 PM
that sounds like a great idea.....but you will never get most of the people who fish that area to agree with you. there is not an ounce of conservation in most people in this state. people still believe they can pay for their boats if they bring enough fish home. conservation won't occur here until it is called replenishing the stock.

Truer words were never spoken. It's sad...but, it's true.

huntin fool
02-23-2010, 07:43 PM
Why not leave them as is???

Not everybody can get out and fish every weekend like some. Not everybody knows every reef out there like some. And not everybody cares what size of fish, they go for meat. And the weirs are a place,for people to catch MEAT. Don't fix something that don't need fixing.
You got to take a step back and think about other people, than the big name fishermen.
And don't say well you need to for conservation. You,your self waltrip even said you can't outfish big lake with a rod-n-reel.

Yall sound like women, always complaining about something

Bluechip
02-23-2010, 07:43 PM
I would say to allow "Youth Fishing" with in so many feet of the weirs...kinda like the youth hunting days.

It's always exciting to watch a young one fighting a redfish on a zebco.

Salty
02-23-2010, 07:46 PM
I propose filling in the entire lake.

"W"
02-23-2010, 07:49 PM

Not everybody can get out and fish every weekend like some. Not everybody knows every reef out there like some. And not everybody cares what size of fish, they go for meat. And the weirs are a place,for people to catch MEAT. Don't fix something that don't need fixing.
You got to take a step back and think about other people, than the big name fishermen.
And don't say well you need to for conservation. You,your self waltrip even said you can't outfish big lake with a rod-n-reel.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Does your mom need to change your diaper????

huntin fool
02-23-2010, 07:51 PM

No it just gets old. uhh why did we create this site? To get away from Whinners, and guess what? thats all i see here.

Salty
02-23-2010, 07:52 PM

He's old enough to change his own.

Mediumheavyaction6'6
02-23-2010, 07:54 PM

fool, you of all people should be out there advocating for conservation. your children will be less fortunate than you are. i am not a real big environmentalist but i see that if resources that are constantly taken by people who are unchecked are going to run out sooner than later. the way i see it, the best hunting clubs in this state and country are successful because of culling practices as well as conservation efforts. if we want the biggest and healthiest fish possible we should control the MEAT fishermen as you call them. just my .02

Salty
WE what did you build here:confused:

I'm wonderin' the same thing. :eek:

adamsfence
Im with fool I kinda disagree with guides filling there boat everyday but a lot of people don't have time to go all the time like me I go maybe 1 time a month and don't know all the spots like most of y'all

Salty
02-23-2010, 07:57 PM
Im with fool I kinda disagree with guides filling there boat everyday but a lot of people don't have time to go all the time like me I go maybe 1 time a month and don't know all the spots like most of y'all

If those weirs are ever seriously discussed for closing....I doubt this reason will weigh in at all to keep them open.

huntin fool
02-23-2010, 08:01 PM
WE what did you build here:confused:

Sorry typo...Dang D aint gotta jump me :shaking:

adamsfence
02-23-2010, 08:01 PM
oh I know but it is still nice too have them as a backup after I am fixing to scratch

huntin fool
02-23-2010, 08:05 PM
fool, you of all people should be out there advocating for conservation. your children will be less fortunate than you are. i am not a real big environmentalist but i see that if resources that are constantly taken by people who are unchecked are going to run out sooner than later. the way i see it, the best hunting clubs in this state and country are successful because of culling practices as well as conservation efforts. if we want the biggest and healthiest fish possible we should control the MEAT fishermen as you call them. just my .02

I'm thinking for my generation bud, look at your fishing rulebook/phamplet. Now, you see all these rules and regs, yall keep wanting to add more rules, pretty soon, my "generation" isn't even going to be able to keep a darn fish!

Like i said,"don't fix it if it aint broken"

Mediumheavyaction6'6
02-23-2010, 08:06 PM
sorry to bother you little buddy

Mediumheavyaction6'6
02-23-2010, 08:11 PM
well, it is not very often that i agree with the starter of this thread but....i have to admit I am one of those people who fish for the sport not the meat so i would like to see lower limits and regulations that don't allow people to wheel up to a spot and load the boat. i don't see the sport in that. i know i am in the minority on this one so let the bashing begin!

adamsfence
02-23-2010, 08:18 PM
i am just saying i limit out at the jetties all the time are we going to close that next

"W"
02-23-2010, 08:25 PM
i am just saying i limit out at the jetties all the time are we going to close that next

Jetties is open water 50ft deep 1mile long and 500yards or more wide...

Weirs are small and its a one way in and one way out deal........Im not for lowering the limit on reds just dont allow fishing for 1000 on any structure...let the fish go in and out to lake or marsh then catch them.......

Salty
02-23-2010, 08:27 PM
Jetties is open water 50ft deep 1mile long and 500yards or more wide...

Weirs are small and its a one way in and one way out deal........Im not for lowering the limit on reds just dont allow fishing for 1000 on any structure...let the fish go in and out to lake or marsh then catch them.......

6,000 posts and he finally makes sense. I don't agree with this beotch much but he's right on track here.

adamsfence
02-23-2010, 08:30 PM
i guess im just not down there enough to see a problem i dont think you are going to fish big lake out of reds by fishing one very small part of the lake

Fishmaster
02-23-2010, 08:33 PM
6,000 posts and he finally makes sense. I don't agree with this beotch much but he's right on track here.
First the saints won the superbowl then salty agreeing with W, hell has to be frozen over.......................:eek:

"W"
02-23-2010, 08:37 PM
i guess im just not down there enough to see a problem i dont think you are going to fish big lake out of reds by fishing one very small part of the lake

your not going to fish the reds out by no means but a red fish only reproduces once its over 25inch...(I believe)....... I think we should give them a chance to make it to the marsh or lake!!.......Fish have to eat so if you chunk a dead shrimp at the door he will take it..........Its like shooting Ducks coming out of the pin......... You will kill more ducks sitting by the door waiting for them to fly out...............Then you will sitting in the blind in a open field.................. Just saying we should look into giving the fish a chance to get out!!!

Salty
02-23-2010, 08:40 PM
your not going to fish the reds out by no means but a red fish only reproduces once its over 25inch...(I believe)....... I think we should give them a chance to make it to the marsh or lake!!.......Fish have to eat so if you chunk a dead shrimp at the door he will take it..........Its like shooting Ducks coming out of the pin......... You will kill more ducks sitting by the door waiting for them to fly out...............Then you will sitting in the blind in a open field.................. Just saying we should look into giving the fish a chance to get out!!!

I love how you put it into elementary terms so everyone can understand.

adamsfence
02-23-2010, 08:43 PM
it don't really matter to me either way seems yall are pretty passionate about this so if it is hurting the fisheriery then close it.......just don't like to see more places closed to access...............Deadly you said people was talking about this is this just locals or important people that make decisions

Gerald
02-23-2010, 10:06 PM
I don't think there needs to be a 1000 foot rule.

If the 250 foot....no fishing restriction were followed, the catch at the wier would be greatly reduced. Look at the picture I posted earlier tonight......2 boats in the "no fishing" area. This is very common.

FYI.......a ticket fishing there cost $ 225.

Reel Bender
02-23-2010, 10:10 PM
I love how you put it into elementary terms so everyone can understand.

You a w got a Love fest going on or what??:eek:

all star rod
02-23-2010, 10:29 PM
maybe they should pass a law that you can only spec fish for 60 days like duck season.......I guess he is trying to stir the post since the super bowl/Saints talk have stopped.....LOL.....

Salty
02-23-2010, 10:41 PM
You a w got a Love fest going on or what??:eek:

No. Does it mean I have feelings for you just because I like your watch? :eek: :smokin:

Salty
02-23-2010, 10:42 PM
Do the trout ever wad up at them wiers like the reds do?

all star rod
02-23-2010, 10:56 PM
Do the trout ever wad up at them wiers like the reds do?

I have only been fishing BL for 4 years and I have never seen or heard reports. The redfish slam at the weirs is not a year around event. In general, I think most fish it only because the trout fishing is slow at this time and the reds are stacked at the weirs at this time.

Salty
02-23-2010, 10:57 PM
:*****::*****::*****::*****::*****:

:rolleyes:

tgsx750f2000
02-23-2010, 11:39 PM
If you make this a law then what's next? You can't fish under the birds! No using corky's! No using live shrimp! No using lights at night! I mean the list could go on forever.

The corky one was just a joke. LOL

all star rod
02-23-2010, 11:43 PM
funny thing is the person who srtarted this thread has not caught really any fish lately except for fishing the weirs....LOL....this post was just to Stir The Pot....

SULPHITE
02-23-2010, 11:45 PM
well there is so much marsh around the lake etc. where reds can enter freely without jigs and shrimp in der way. Also think of all the reds that go in and out during the night too.

QUACKHEAD
02-24-2010, 12:11 AM
The thread does make for good discussion. I think the weirs are good as it is. Some of you have been around long enough to remember what it was like before the Blackened Red Fish Craze. You could catch Red fish with a bent perch hook and a can top. Yea they use to come off for you younger guys. Then the craze hit, and purse seiners came out from every country and caught everything the Gulf and oceans would give em. It didn't take but a couple of years for the fisheries to realize that the Red fish along with others were getting fewer and fewer. They band the seiners, put restrictions and now look, the population is growing by leaps and bounds. The conservation of red fish is and has proven itself where the laws are right now. The weirs in the whole scheme of things is nothing to the well being of the red fish population. Fool is right, which the more I read of his post I find he usually knows what he is talking about, you can put so many rules on things that after awhile it's just not enjoyable any longer and does not make sense. There's a lot of water in Big Lake and a whole lot more out in the Gulf. If you guy's think the wiers are putting a population hurt on the Red Fish.... U R WRONG! You also have the choice to NOT Fish there. That way you are not clogging the area when I pull up there my 2 times a year and want to catch a few RED'S.

LaAngler
02-24-2010, 12:17 AM
why dont we ban guides

SULPHITE
02-24-2010, 12:20 AM
why dont we ban guides

:eek:

LaAngler
02-24-2010, 12:22 AM
maybe i'll start a thread on that, LMAO

SULPHITE
02-24-2010, 12:27 AM
maybe i'll start a thread on that, LMAO

http://www.mysmiley.net/imgs/smile/fighting/fighting0030.gif (http://www.mysmiley.net/freesmiley.php?smiley=fighting/fighting0030.gif)

LaAngler
02-24-2010, 12:33 AM
brings back memories of W's old threads on the sportsman, his solution was just to get all the idiots who can't fish off the water. :rotfl:

those made tony so proud

Hebert
02-24-2010, 01:45 AM
yea lets regulate the hell out of big lake...but lets start with trout first...bring the limit down to 1 per person and anyone with a black boat is not allowed to fish at all.....sounds good huh? :).......its funny to see someone that kills more fish out of that lake than the average person , even think of regulating someone else.

2ndamendment
02-24-2010, 08:25 AM
No new laws needed. Blow all the weirs up and let the fishery return to the natural state.

Ray
02-24-2010, 08:29 AM
No new laws needed. Blow all the weirs up and let the fishery return to the natural state.

That would help the fisheries but hurt coastal erosion.
That has been a big debate for years. Which one do we want to keep up?
Coastal erosion won. Fish, shrimp and crabs lost.

"W"
02-24-2010, 08:49 AM
maybe they should pass a law that you can only spec fish for 60 days like duck season.......I guess he is trying to stir the post since the super bowl/Saints talk have stopped.....LOL.....

YOUR A FOOL

I have only been fishing BL for 4 years and I have never seen or heard reports. The redfish slam at the weirs is not a year around event. In general, I think most fish it only because the trout fishing is slow at this time and the reds are stacked at the weirs at this time.

This statement Proves it........#1 Reds are caught year around at the weirs....Sometimes is better than others but you can catch reds Year around in any month! #2 Yes Trout do stack up at the weirs when the shrimp are moving in and out of the marsh......Trout don't hang around as long and when boats start piling up they usually shut down or move out....Trout is not a big deal..

If you make this a law then what's next? You can't fish under the birds! No using corky's! No using live shrimp! No using lights at night! I mean the list could go on forever.

The corky one was just a joke. LOL

Its not a law......Im just suggestion to expand the 250foot to 1000foot.....not making a law of how many reds you can catch......

funny thing is the person who srtarted this thread has not caught really any fish lately except for fishing the weirs....LOL....this post was just to Stir The Pot....

Yes I have caught reds and trout at the weirs....Never said I didn't.....I have also tagged over 150 and released in one week....;)

yea lets regulate the hell out of big lake...but lets start with trout first...bring the limit down to 1 per person and anyone with a black boat is not allowed to fish at all.....sounds good huh? :).......its funny to see someone that kills more fish out of that lake than the average person , even think of regulating someone else.

Its not about killing fish.......Its about giving reds a chance to make it in and out the marsh........ Why shoot ducks coming out of a cage? Just shoot them in the field? Same thing here!

QUOTE=2ndamendment;118304]No new laws needed. Blow all the weirs up and let the fishery return to the natural state.[/QUOTE]

Thats a BIG 10-4......Before the weirs were installed the Lake was 100 times better!!!

cmdrost
02-24-2010, 08:56 AM
"Thats a BIG 10-4......Before the weirs were installed the Lake was 100 times better!!! "

:rotfl: Well which one is it??? You want them off limits or taken out all together? One severly contradicts the other.

"W"
02-24-2010, 09:13 AM
"Thats a BIG 10-4......Before the weirs were installed the Lake was 100 times better!!! "

:rotfl: Well which one is it??? You want them off limits or taken out all together? One severly contradicts the other.

I would love to see them taken out all together!!!! ........... then I could leave with the 250ft........ But when the water is restricted this just cause fish to stack up....... Move them out and all you have is a cut!!!

http://www.gashing.com/smile/party/party0052.gif

"W"
02-24-2010, 09:15 AM
brings back memories of W's old threads on the sportsman, his solution was just to get all the idiots who can't fish off the water. :rotfl:

those made tony so proud

http://www.gashing.com/smile/fighting/fighting0094.gif (http://www.squidoo.com/scuba-diving-guide)

yak'em-n-stack'em
02-24-2010, 10:59 AM
I'm thinking for my generation bud, look at your fishing rulebook/phamplet. Now, you see all these rules and regs, yall keep wanting to add more rules, pretty soon, my "generation" isn't even going to be able to keep a darn fish!

Like i said,"don't fix it if it aint broken"

FOOL, you are what is wrong with this "generation" Get your head out of your A@$ and start thinking about the future. You know nothing about what goes into limits or regulations, I use to respect you, but you have quickly overstepped your shoe size and gotten into a way of thinking that puts you way down on the list of people on this site.

When you get home from school, look up the redfish population struggles in louisiana over the past few decades. Look at the sandhill cranes. Look at any resource that isnt monitored closely and look what happens when changes arent dynamic.

Let me know.

yak'em-n-stack'em
02-24-2010, 11:01 AM

W you are correct, redfish only reproduce after they are 3 years old (24-28 inches) They only do it offshore too. This is why they need to get out there

yak'em-n-stack'em
02-24-2010, 11:06 AM
and to clarify, i think the weirs are fine like they are. WE have terraces in that marsh, the only reason there is any land back there is because of those weirs.

Sometimes you have to sacrifice the finger to save the arm

yak'em-n-stack'em
02-24-2010, 11:06 AM
oh, and

/end rant lol

Salty
02-24-2010, 11:07 AM
FOOL, you are what is wrong with this "generation" Get your head out of your A@$ and start thinking about the future. You know nothing about what goes into limits or regulations, I use to respect you, but you have quickly overstepped your shoe size and gotten into a way of thinking that puts you way down on the list of people on this site.

When you get home from school, look up the redfish population struggles in louisiana over the past few decades. Look at the sandhill cranes. Look at any resource that isnt monitored closely and look what happens when changes arent dynamic.

Let me know.

Of all the people here, you would think that Fool would be as concerned with conservation, restoration and management as anyone. He loves the outdoors and has his entire life to enjoy it. Although he has a good head on his shoulders, he is thirteen years old and, like anyone his age, is influenced easily. I'll leave it at that.

yak'em-n-stack'em
02-24-2010, 11:12 AM
I know exactly what and who you mean salty

adamsfence
02-24-2010, 12:56 PM
i really am having a hard time understanding this......this time of the year i can go almost anywhere in the lake and limit out on reds. what is the difference between that and sitting at the weirs. the weirs are easy i will say that but if you go up the east bank anywhere you can catch a limit of reds with just a little more work. 5 fish is 5 fish. W you said reds on reproduce after 25" well you cant keep but one of those. they have to be 16" to keep them. at the weirs you may set there and catch rat reds for an hour one after another and throw them back. Is it just the fact that it is easy to catch fish that gets yall upset. with the limits they set i think that should protect the fish You are letting the small ones get big and the big ones that you can only keep one of reproduce.

Ray
02-24-2010, 01:05 PM
If you don't catch over your limit, you are doing nothing wrong.
There is nothing wrong with catching a limit.
Everyone is entitled to their opinions. It doesn't mean everyone else has to follow.

all star rod
02-24-2010, 01:14 PM
Also, just think is you could not fish the weirs, in turn, more boats fishing the lake. Next, some will be *****ing about that and saying why cannot people fish the weirs.....this would help reduce the # of people fishing the lake. If the LDWF thought fishing the weirs were an issue, it would not be allowed.

Ray
02-24-2010, 01:19 PM
There are Reds elsewhere, just too easy to get a limit at the weirs.

"W"
02-24-2010, 02:08 PM
Also, just think is you could not fish the weirs, in turn, more boats fishing the lake. Next, some will be *****ing about that and saying why cannot people fish the weirs.....this would help reduce the # of people fishing the lake. If the LDWF thought fishing the weirs were an issue, it would not be allowed.

Call them and ask them that.....the have given more tickets at the weirs for outlawing shrimp,red,and fishing in posted area than they have given though out the whole lake

tgsx750f2000
02-24-2010, 03:03 PM
Call them and ask them that.....the have given more tickets at the weirs for outlawing shrimp,red,and fishing in posted area than they have given though out the whole lake

Sounds like the weirs are easy fishing for them also

huntin fool
02-24-2010, 04:31 PM

Let me know.

My head is out of my azz. Thanks.

What pisses me off, is all the rules takes the fun out of fishing. I love it when the fish aint biting and i can go to the weirs and catch reds,why?? Because its fun!! I mean look at it like this..from a young kid who likes to fish..not me,"Daddy can we go catch reds at the weirs," "No buddy, some snot-nosed people dont allow that anymore"
The reds move around, the reds have plenty of time to get out of the weirs, yall act like people fish this place 24 friggin hours a day.
And i do care about the,"conservation", but you got to think about the average joe fishermen..Not some big trout,wannabe guide. Or some guy that knows every hole on that lake. Some people don't know any spots on biglake, and they fish the weirs for 2 sole purposes, to have fun, and catch fish to eat!

adamsfence
02-24-2010, 04:35 PM
My head is out of my azz, thanks for the tip :shaking:

What pisses me off, is all the rules takes the fun out of fishing. I love it when the fish aint biting and i can go to the weirs and catch reds,why?? Because its fun!! I mean look at it like this..from a young kid who likes to fish..not me,"Daddy can we go catch reds at the weirs," "No buddy, some snot-nosed people dont allow that anymore"
The reds move around, the reds have plenty of time to get out of the weirs, yall act like people fish this place 24 friggin hours a day.
And i do care about the,"conservation", but you got to think about the average joe fishermen..Not some big trout,wannabe guide. Or some guy that knows every hole on that lake. Some people don't know any spots on biglake, and they fish the weirs for 2 sole purposes, to have fun, and catch fish to eat!

:work:

huntin fool
02-24-2010, 04:35 PM
:work:

:D yall make things more complicated than they need to be!

Micah
02-24-2010, 04:49 PM
:D yall make things more complicated than they need to be!

Preach it Fool!!!!!!

Mediumheavyaction6'6
02-24-2010, 04:58 PM
last thing i want to say about this......i agree with you fool about dads taking kids out to have a good time. That being said what about every other place in this state to fish that doesn't have a "kiddy pool" for the less skilled fisherman to catch fish. What do fathers do then? The teach their kids to find the fish based on habitat and habits of fish. I have said it a thousand times on this forum that call it fishing not catching. I don't catch fish every time I go fishing and you know what that makes me a better fisherman because it forces me to try new things. The real question you should ask yourself is what does the dad say to the kids when there are no redfish to catch?

huntin fool
02-24-2010, 05:02 PM
"
what does the dad say to the kids when there are no redfish to catch? "

As in they went fishing at the weirs and didn't catch fish? Well son thats why its fishing and not catching.

Yall just want to make it more complicated. And thats when all the fun is takin out of it. Not like yall are going to get this changed, so pretty much this is a waste of my time, on an ignorant thread...but yeah

adamsfence
02-24-2010, 05:08 PM
last thing i want to say about this......i agree with you fool about dads taking kids out to have a good time. That being said what about every other place in this state to fish that doesn't have a "kiddy pool" for the less skilled fisherman to catch fish. What do fathers do then? The teach their kids to find the fish based on habitat and habits of fish. I have said it a thousand times on this forum that call it fishing not catching. I don't catch fish every time I go fishing and you know what that makes me a better fisherman because it forces me to try new things. The real question you should ask yourself is what does the dad say to the kids when there are no redfish to catch?

do you really feel we are hurting the red fish population? it is hard for me to believe by fishing out a 1 acre area in the lake you are going to hurt the population. I'm not as educated on this as yall but you cant tell me that this is hurting the population when there is a ton of marsh entrances in the lake and ship channel but these 3 areas are the only places they are going to go hell it aint big enough for you to fit that many boats in there to hurt the population

all star rod
02-24-2010, 05:09 PM
If there are no more Reds in Big Lake it will not be because of people catching their limit at the WEIRS......

adamsfence
02-24-2010, 05:13 PM
If there are no more Reds in Big Lake it will not be because of people catching their limit at the WEIRS......

no more fishing the jetties this is how they get in to lake i think we should give them a fighting chance oh and no more fishing rigs this is a structure that keeps fish ganged up and its unfair too....oh and oyster reefs way to many fish there tooo

huntin fool
02-24-2010, 05:16 PM
no more fishing the jetties this is how they get in to lake i think we should give them a fighting chance oh and no more fishing rigs this is a structure that keeps fish ganged up and its unfair too....oh and oyster reefs way to many fish there tooo

Don't use the birds to locate fish either!! Why you at it, might aswell ban all livebait fishing from the lake..and only 25 hp and under.

Mediumheavyaction6'6
02-24-2010, 05:16 PM

do you really feel we are hurting the red fish population? it is hard for me to believe by fishing out a 1 acre area in the lake you are going to hurt the population. I'm not as educated on this as yall but you cant tell me that this is hurting the population when there is a ton of marsh entrances in the lake and ship channel but these 3 areas are the only places they are going to go hell it aint big enough for you to fit that many boats in there to hurt the population

to be honest with you adam i am not arguing the fact that this one area is going to decimate the population of reds. i am simply having trouble understanding the mentality of a person being upset that some people would like to limit the slaughter of fish. i love to eat fish and my figure represents that but i also want to be able and catch the numbers of fish i do until i can't cast a line anymore. the only way in my opinion that happens is if we educate the meat hunters and work towards preserving the above average populations we have here.

2ndamendment
02-24-2010, 05:18 PM
What if, the ship channel was never dugout. Would the weirs be needed?

adamsfence
02-24-2010, 05:24 PM
[quote=adamsfence;118546]

to be honest with you adam i am not arguing the fact that this one area is going to decimate the population of reds. i am simply having trouble understanding the mentality of a person being upset that some people would like to limit the slaughter of fish. i love to eat fish and my figure represents that but i also want to be able and catch the numbers of fish i do until i can't cast a line anymore. the only way in my opinion that happens is if we educate the meat hunters and work towards preserving the above average populations we have here.

let me put it this way what is the difference between 4 boats at the weirs and 4 boats on a flock of birds in the middle of the lake. during the summer you can always find some birds ........... i agree that if it hurts the population lets slow down by all means. but what i am saying is the weirs can't be the problem etc lower limits, change size limits that one spot is not going to make a that much of a difference

im not arguing we just have a difference of opion on this area. its all good

Mediumheavyaction6'6
02-24-2010, 05:27 PM
[quote=Mediumheavyaction6'6;118552]

let me put it this way what is the difference between 4 boats at the weirs and 4 boats on a flock of birds in the middle of the lake. during the summer you can always find some birds ........... i agree that if it hurts the population lets slow down by all means. but what i am saying is the weirs can't be the problem etc lower limits, change size limits that one spot is not going to make a that much of a difference

im not arguing we just have a difference of opion on this area. its all good

you and i just agreed because that is exactly what i am saying. i don't understand someone getting upset about something that could help the fish and in turn the fishermen. i am not familiar with that area at all so i can't say what is good or not good. what i am saying is if people get irate about conservation then our future is bleak.

huntin fool
02-24-2010, 05:32 PM
yall are about to make me email a marine bioligist that knows my sister..

SULPHITE
02-24-2010, 05:33 PM
yall are about to make me email a marine bioligist that knows my sister..

Do it fool I dare ya!!!!

adamsfence
02-24-2010, 05:34 PM
[quote=adamsfence;118560]

you and i just agreed because that is exactly what i am saying. i don't understand someone getting upset about something that could help the fish and in turn the fishermen. i am not familiar with that area at all so i can't say what is good or not good. what i am saying is if people get irate about conservation then our future is bleak.

hey what about that platform for your boat did you decide not to do it or what i haven't heard anymore about it?

Ray
02-24-2010, 05:37 PM
I am calling the Green Peace. They will put a stop to this.

Ray
02-24-2010, 05:39 PM
This is from one of the moderators:
"No junior game wardens or bashing of legal catches allowed".

If it's legal, don't be jealous...

Salty
02-24-2010, 05:48 PM
This is from one of the moderators:
"No junior game wardens or bashing of legal catches allowed".

If it's legal, don't be jealous...

Surely, this is not about jealousy. A one-arm chimp could catch a redfish.

Mediumheavyaction6'6
02-24-2010, 05:50 PM
[quote=Mediumheavyaction6'6;118565]

hey what about that platform for your boat did you decide not to do it or what i haven't heard anymore about it?

no dude i am still all for it! I was in the keys last week and i have just been busy with work. whenever you are free let me know and we can get together. i didn't want to bother you about it being that i don't know you that well.

adamsfence
02-24-2010, 06:01 PM
hell you ain't gonna bother me......im going to grand isle this week end but after that we will fit you in if you find a design you like get as many pics as you can so we can copy

Mediumheavyaction6'6
02-24-2010, 06:02 PM
sweet! i will look for designs and try and get some specs so we can build it right.

speck-chaser
02-24-2010, 06:03 PM
:work:Back,Back give me a 1000 ft.:work:

huntin fool
02-24-2010, 06:35 PM
Do it fool I dare ya!!!!

Im nervous :*****:

yak'em-n-stack'em
02-24-2010, 07:06 PM
my comments werent as much about the weirs as they were about people's mentality towards fishing,

I will catch as many as i want because all i care about is today, not my kids future fishing.

huntin fool
02-24-2010, 07:13 PM
my comments werent as much about the weirs as they were about people's mentality towards fishing,

I will catch as many as i want because all i care about is today, not my kids future fishing.

Austin, I took the time to re-read your post further than the pull your head out of your azz part. lol.

But, If our redfish population is struggling sooo much, why are we ranked number one state for reds??? :confused:

I just hate when people make it more complicated than it needs to be. Nothing against ya bud.

yak'em-n-stack'em
02-24-2010, 07:15 PM
I never said our population is struggling, but research what happend with the purse seins on redfish, and look at spoonbill catfish.

Its not about today, yes we are ranked number 1 right now, but without proper conservation we wont be,

That being said i think a 5 red limit is perfect for our state, i commend our LDWF biologists for doing their job, but hell would break loose if they tried to change it because there became a threat on the resource

Salty
02-24-2010, 07:21 PM
Austin, I took the time to re-read your post further than the pull your head out of your azz part. lol.

But, If our redfish population is struggling sooo much, why are we ranked number one state for reds??? :confused:

I just hate when people make it more complicated than it needs to be. Nothing against ya bud.

Look at the regulations (limits) for the other states involved. Why are they so low? :smokin:

yak'em-n-stack'em
02-24-2010, 07:26 PM
North carolina's limit is 1 between 18 and 27

speckdaddy
02-24-2010, 07:30 PM
I wish our trout and redfish was catch and release then I could pick me up a good boat cheap:)
i know where ya could get a fairly new haynie fer dirt cheap if that happens:eek:

speckdaddy
02-24-2010, 07:34 PM
It woudnt happen to be a black one hu:*****::*****:
i know it is a black one lmao

speckdaddy
02-24-2010, 07:37 PM
Kinda looking for a 24ft fin
yeah the old owner is small too:eek:

Country Boy
02-24-2010, 09:29 PM
North carolina's limit is 1 between 18 and 27Billy stix told me they are only allowed to keep 1 redfish also in Florida.

adamsfence
02-24-2010, 09:32 PM
are the others fisheries in as good as shape as ours?

"W"
02-24-2010, 09:46 PM
We have the best Fishing in world.........Our fish are healthy and alive!! Our Estuary is solid and our reefs are healthy......... As long as the weirs fishing is legal......hey its all good!!! I just think someone should look at making the 250 a 1000feet give the fish a chance to flee........ Someone above said you think these few small areas hurt our fishing.........Yes I do.....when Reds and Shrimp only have 4 ways into a marsh and its loaded with hooks and castnets!!! So you funnel all your fish to one spot in and out!!!!....... Im not against someone slamming reds at the weirs I have done it my self this year!!! I just dont know how much our population is taking a hit!!! I was told by a guide that between 5 boats they harvested about 3000 reds in a month......

huntin fool
02-24-2010, 09:51 PM
5 boats they harvested about 3000 reds in a month......

Dang somebody needs to catch some trout..

Reel Bender
02-24-2010, 09:52 PM
No. Does it mean I have feelings for you just because I like your watch? :eek: :smokin:

I guess it would depend on the tone of your voice.

Hebert
02-24-2010, 10:27 PM
.hey its all good!!! I just think someone should look at making the 250 a 1000feet give the fish a chance to flee........

wow thats great..then do you agree that there should be no trout fishing within 1000ft of working birds? or schools of trout? i highly doubt it..why? cuz it will effect YOUR fishing fun ..but you don't seem to mind regulating other people's fun? what are ya a democrat?

.......... I was told by a guide that between 5 boats they harvested about 3000 reds in a month......

as for your guide buddies harvesting 3000 reds between 5 boats....its would seem that if you actually cared the about the redfish you would be making a topic about guides raping the fishery for their own profit than instead of how far people fish from a weir......:work:

yak'em-n-stack'em
02-24-2010, 10:35 PM
:popcorn:

Salty
02-24-2010, 11:25 PM
We have the best Fishing in world.........Our fish are healthy and alive!! Our Estuary is solid and our reefs are healthy......... As long as the weirs fishing is legal......hey its all good!!! I just think someone should look at making the 250 a 1000feet give the fish a chance to flee........ Someone above said you think these few small areas hurt our fishing.........Yes I do.....when Reds and Shrimp only have 4 ways into a marsh and its loaded with hooks and castnets!!! So you funnel all your fish to one spot in and out!!!!....... Im not against someone slamming reds at the weirs I have done it my self this year!!! I just dont know how much our population is taking a hit!!! I was told by a guide that between 5 boats they harvested about 3000 reds in a month......

You've preached for years that Big Lake's fish population could not be affected by rod 'n' reel. I'm confusioned.:confused:

all star rod
02-24-2010, 11:40 PM
LOL.......you see he is tired of fishing the weirs now so it should be off limits now........a rod-n-reel will only effect Redfish at the weirs not trout under birds.......

RAGINJROB
02-24-2010, 11:52 PM
Damnnnnnn...thats 5 boats, 4 people per boat, catching a limit everyday of the month.(I think..MATH?) Maybe the guides could throw their reds back and that would help.

all star rod
02-25-2010, 12:02 AM
You've preached for years that Big Lake's fish population could not be affected by rod 'n' reel. I'm confusioned.:confused:

LOL.........what is that Famous saying........"Do as I say, not as I do.......

Gerald
02-25-2010, 12:34 AM
If you want to reduce the number of Red's caught at the wier..........................

Up the fine to $ 1000 each for everyone in the boat.

BossHog
02-25-2010, 01:24 AM
W..... usally I agree with you but, I can tell you from experience guides have takin way more than 3000 redfish a month from the wiers and probably even more off the east and south banks. You should know our redfish population is by far in no harm considering the last couple years we have had on biglake. If people wanta fish the wiers by all means let them. Alot of people enjoy knowing they can go there and put there kids and friends on fish pretty easy. Theres plenty of other places to catch them on the lake.

Ray
02-25-2010, 07:57 AM
The laws allow people to fish the weirs.
It is legal to drive 70 on the interstate, but people still get in wrecks.
If it's legal, biching about it on here ain't gonna help..
If I don't find fish where I want to fish at, I won't hesitate to fish where
I know they are.
I paid for my boat and gear, I am gonna come home with some meat.
As long as it's legal, no one is gonna stop fishing there.
Crying about it on the internet is not going to stop it either.
Them weirs are everyone's back up.

Wag
02-25-2010, 09:00 AM
I think if it was a serious problem the wildlife & Fisheries would have already addressed the situation......they are not worried about it and neither am I.

Ray
02-25-2010, 10:35 AM
In the summer, every time I went thru the boat bay at Grand Bayou, I seen the same
guide tied up to the post where the sign used to be, fishing Reds. Every time.

LaAngler
02-25-2010, 11:20 AM
I think if it was a serious problem the wildlife & Fisheries would have already addressed the situation......they are not worried about it and neither am I.

LDWF is so corrupt is sad, they all about the $$$$

yep thinking about the guides keeping all those fish makes me wonder why i throw any back at all

speck-chaser
02-25-2010, 07:16 PM
Its the "Golden Rule" He who hath the gold makes the rules.

Montauk17
02-25-2010, 08:53 PM
Its the "Golden Rule" He who hath the gold makes the rules.

You are 100% correct,sad but true. LDWF will bow down to whoever has the most green. :help: