PDA

View Full Version : OK...let's lay it on the table

Salty
02-23-2010, 08:13 PM
Do you consider yourself a "conservationist"? If so, what do you do to conserve our resource?

Mediumheavyaction6'6
02-23-2010, 08:15 PM
i do my part by trying to fish with a fly rod and scratching most of the time i go and fish!

longsidelandry
02-23-2010, 08:16 PM
O this oughtta get good...popcorn...check...beer...check

Mediumheavyaction6'6
02-23-2010, 08:16 PM
oh and i let most of my fish go when i do get lucky and catch some!

huntin fool
02-23-2010, 08:18 PM
O this oughtta get good...popcorn...check...beer...check

toss me a Bud Light...and a bowl of popcorn...:work:

Bluechip
02-23-2010, 08:19 PM
I give my money to CCA every year in hopes to catch the "prize" and I never keep over my limit....;)

Salty
02-23-2010, 08:21 PM
There are those that preach conservation and call themselves a "conservationist", yet, everything they catch goes to the electric knife. That's your choice but you can't be both.

adamsfence
02-23-2010, 08:21 PM
i only get to go about 1 or 2 times a month so i would say up side most of the people that in its self makes me a conservationist. if i get lucky and get some extra in my freezer. i only keep what i am going to eat

i don't call my self that i just call myself someone who likes to fish when i can though

"W"
02-23-2010, 08:22 PM
Yes.......Im a conservationist.........I have a 1000 tags of info of trout and reds I have let go!.........I have caught and released more trout than some catch in a lifetime.......

So Yes I help take care of what we have!!

Mediumheavyaction6'6
02-23-2010, 08:24 PM
i make little to no money working for the state on coastal restoration. i think that would make me a conservationist. i know i have to conserve my money!

Salty
Yes.......Im a conservationist.........I have a 1000 tags of info of trout and reds I have let go right after I get my limit!.........I have caught and released more trout than some catch in a lifetime.......

Ugh...you forgot somethin'............

adamsfence
i make little to no money working for the state on coastal restoration. i think that would make me a conservationist. i know i have to conserve my money!

:*****:

Fishmaster
02-23-2010, 08:25 PM
Off topic but, Salty were do/did you fish?

huntin fool
02-23-2010, 08:26 PM

that holmboy was everywhere

speck-chaser
02-23-2010, 08:41 PM
I conserve my energy:*****:

BottomOfTheBoot
02-23-2010, 08:51 PM
I like to think I do my part in slowing coastal erosion by paddling around in my kayak.

BottomOfTheBoot
02-23-2010, 08:55 PM
Not only that emmision control too. Way cool

I don't know about that D. I tend to release lots of gas when plowing my way through 6 inches of water. :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

adamsfence
02-23-2010, 08:56 PM
I don't know about that D. I tend to release lots of gas when plowing my way through 6 inches of water. :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

:funny:

huntin fool
02-23-2010, 08:57 PM

Well..we'll have to talk to the messican about that problem...Darn beans

Bluechip
02-23-2010, 08:58 PM

Jet Drive....:D

speck-chaser
02-23-2010, 08:59 PM
I also practice conservation by throwing all of my fish guts and carcases to my neighbors crawfish in his pond. Just feel like giving back a little.:D

BottomOfTheBoot
02-23-2010, 09:00 PM
Well..we'll have to talk to the messican about that problem...Darn beans

haha...its normally whatever I eat right before going out. Like a bacon, egg and cheese breakfast sandwich...tends to go straight through me.

Salty
02-23-2010, 09:01 PM
I also practice conservation by throwing all of my fish guts and carcases in my neighbors front yard. Just feel like giving back a little.:D

:eek:

huntin fool
02-23-2010, 09:01 PM
I also practice conservation by throwing all of my fish guts and carcases to my neighbors crawfish in his pond. Just feel like giving back a little.:D

I feel i practice conservation, by only shooting drake spoonies...that way they can't populate...:D

adamsfence
02-23-2010, 09:03 PM
I feel i practice conservation, by only shooting drake spoonies...that way they can't populate...:D

you better get off my spoonies thats the only birds i can get to decoy with my calling:cry::cry:

fishinpox
02-23-2010, 09:32 PM
i consider myself a fisherman, i never keep over my legal limits, if i have fish in the freeze i'm trying to not keep more than i need but i do give alot of fish away to friends and customers, im involved in the tagging program . i would like to make sure there are gonna be the same amount of fish for my kids to catch as we catch now but i aint about to hug no trees over it either. i would not mind a 15 trout limit statewide , 15 trout /day in more than enough IMO

Dink
02-23-2010, 09:39 PM

That's how he conserves.......he don't fish......

Salty
02-23-2010, 09:47 PM
i consider myself a fisherman, i never keep over my legal limits, if i have fish in the freeze i'm trying to not keep more than i need but i do give alot of fish away to friends and customers, im involved in the tagging program . i would like to make sure there are gonna be the same amount of fish for my kids to catch as we catch now but i aint about to hug no trees over it either. i would not mind a 15 trout limit statewide , 15 trout /day in more than enough IMO

That was well-stated, Poxy. One question....do you keep more than 15 even though the limit is 25 per person? :smokin:

jchief
02-23-2010, 10:16 PM
Define conservationist! If I legally keep only my limit and eat all I catch am I a conservationist? If I deer hunt and shoot the first 2 deer I see and then hunt horns am I a conservationist? If I pass on does during management hunts, that are in place to remove deer from the herd, am I a conservationist?

fishinpox
02-23-2010, 10:22 PM
That was well-stated, Poxy. One question....do you keep more than 15 even though the limit is 25 per person? :smokin:

i do but now that you bring it up i believe i will try some self restraint and try the 15 thing for awhile. i just ran my freezer down to maybe 20 filets i let it get low because i saw i still had fish from last summer, and that is just stupid. im my house im the only one who eats fish so 15 is more than enough, but if i bring someone fishing and they rarely get to fish i dont mind letting them keep everyons catch. the tagging program has really helped me show some restraint towards wanting to keep everything. my hopes for my participation in the tagging program are to help the movement of fish study and also help me as an angler learn what and where a trouts goes that i catch during diff seasons and where it ends up when its recaught

wtretrievers
02-23-2010, 10:27 PM
Define conservationist! If I legally keep only my limit and eat all I catch am I a conservationist? If I deer hunt and shoot the first 2 deer I see and then hunt horns am I a conservationist? If I pass on does during management hunts, that are in place to remove deer from the herd, am I a conservationist?Exactly.........I'll keep a limit of fish, which I don't fish every day or even every w/e, don't even go 5 months out of the year due to hunting.
When I was younger deer hunting it was all about the numbers (but not over a yearly limit)....Not any more.....I let at least 13 legal bucks (for our club 6pt or better) walk this year. But didn't shoot a doe either & were on a program to take so many does off our property. So you decide....... Conservationist or not. ???????

jchief
02-23-2010, 10:29 PM
I don't keep trout over 4 lbs and try to convince everyone I fish with to do the same. Many times I catch and release.

Salty
02-23-2010, 10:52 PM
Exactly.........I'll keep a limit of fish, which I don't fish every day or even every w/e, don't even go 5 months out of the year due to hunting.
When I was younger deer hunting it was all about the numbers (but not over a yearly limit)....Not any more.....I let at least 13 legal bucks (for our club 6pt or better) walk this year. But didn't shoot a doe either & were on a program to take so many does off our property. So you decide....... Conservationist or not. ???????

IMO, management and conservation geaux hand in hand.

Salty
02-23-2010, 10:53 PM
I don't keep trout over 4 lbs and try to convince everyone I fish with to do the same. Many times I catch and release.

Good for you, Chief. :cheers:

SULPHITE
02-23-2010, 10:56 PM
I guess I'm a conservationist. I don't harm the population. I don't catch fish.

On the other hand, Miller Lite will be decimated at all times. I do not conserve usually get my limit plus a few more!

FF_T_Warren
02-23-2010, 11:05 PM
I am a conservationist for sure. I help conserve the baitfish population by keeping my limit of fish when I go fishing. And I help the GO GREEN movement by shooting those pesky deer that eat all our green plants. So all in all, I do more than my fair share to keep the ecosystem in check.

Salty
02-23-2010, 11:19 PM
I guess I'm a conservationist. I don't harm the population. I don't catch fish.

On the other hand, Miller Lite will be decimated at all times. I do not conserve usually get my limit plus a few more!

25 per person?

yak'em-n-stack'em
02-23-2010, 11:55 PM
i too work for the state, and am going to grad school for coastal restoration

LaAngler
02-23-2010, 11:56 PM
Yes.......Im a conservationist.........I have a 1000 tags of info of trout and reds I have let go!.........I have caught and released more trout than some catch in a lifetime.......

you are a poser conservationist

you keep limits of baby trout just to say you limited

LaAngler
02-24-2010, 12:08 AM
haha...its normally whatever I eat right before going out. Like a bacon, egg and cheese breakfast sandwich...tends to go straight through me.

yeah i had to quit getting the sausage, egg, cheese biscuits from cormie's. After a cup of coffee by the time I get to the launch I have a blow out

SULPHITE
02-24-2010, 12:12 AM
I've had to tussle with that porta potty at Heberts quite a few times after a samich from cormie's

Ray
02-24-2010, 07:54 AM
I only eat what I catch. Trying to help the cattle population.

Wag
02-24-2010, 08:30 AM
Are you a conservationist Salty?

"W"
02-24-2010, 08:54 AM

Salty only fishes about 1 time a year........SO he is no threat :p

coon
02-24-2010, 08:55 AM
I reuse my oil twice when I fry fish.

Wag
02-24-2010, 08:57 AM
Salty only fishes about 1 time a year........SO he is no threat :p

:*****::*****: Me too...I think I went twice last year, no threat here either

cmdrost
02-24-2010, 09:01 AM
release most fish caught, when keeping fish, only keep enough to eat fresh. Never freeze em. Never throw trash out of my boat, Pick up trash when wading a shoreline....etc.

BossHog
02-24-2010, 09:48 AM
Everybody thinks their a conservationist just because they dont keep fish or kill animals, sometimes keeping the population of something in check helps out more. Being a conservationist is way more than just what u dont keep or dont kill.

simplepeddler
02-24-2010, 09:56 AM
cmdrost............same here.
we bring out more trash than we bring in. Every trip every time.
Even do in promto "TRASH BASHES" at the camp when the boys are bored.
I give them five bucks for every 30 gallon bag of trash they can pick up.

Couse summer time we have to just pick up in the lake. Them moccasin things are out like ka razy in the summer on Blind River.

cmdrost
02-24-2010, 10:04 AM
Everybody thinks their a conservationist just because they dont keep fish or kill animals, sometimes keeping the population of something in check helps out more. Being a conservationist is way more than just what u dont keep or dont kill.

Agree with you to a point. With deer, you def gotta weed em out so to speak. Also geese, that's why they set "conservation hunts" at the end of the season. With limited access to land for deer hunters, duck hunters, etc. only so many can go do it, deer can hide in woods and over produce and not much you can do about it unless you own that piece of land.

Fish are not in that same category. Fishing is public, anyone and everyone can go if they so desire. Also, Nature does a better job of keeping fish populations in check. Then add in the fishing pressure and sometimes nature can't keep up. Fact. Seems LDWF is more protective over the state's game animals than it is over its aquatic bretheren.

Salty
02-24-2010, 10:18 AM

Yes, I consider myself a "conservationist". When I did fish twice a week, I released more fish than I kept but the main reason....like Chas said.....you always leave the area better than you found it.

The last 3 or 4 years that I turkey hunted, I carried nothing but a video camera. I enjoyed the sport even more than when I was whackin' 'em, yet, never took away anything from the resource.

Salty
02-24-2010, 10:24 AM
you are a poser conservationist

you keep limits of baby trout just to say you limited

Remember this one, Bruce? :smokin:

Limited out 13 straight trips this month....most of the time by 8:30

simplepeddler
02-24-2010, 10:30 AM
I really just don't "need" to edify myself with limits anymore...........
Don't disagree with folks that take em. Just don't want to clean them all.

I do keep three to four bags in the freezer at all times.

And when I am invited to go on a guided trip I keep the limit. Figure it's paid for...........usually cook those at the office for the gang

FF_T_Warren
02-24-2010, 10:32 AM
ok heres the problem with limits. Its gonna be an argument no matter what they set it at. but limits are limits and 25 is a great limit. Reasons:
A)bioligist know way more than us on the subject and they know what will keep the ecosystem in good working order. you have to have balance. too much either way is a bad thing
B)all yall that fish 3 times a week, yea keeping 75 fish per week is rediculous, you personally will never eat that much. But for the folks that fish 5 times per year, 125 fish to eat on the whole year isn't that much.
C) people been catching fish for years and I haven't noticed any fishing changes like, oh man we used to murder em last year but this year we not catching any, thats because people are catching too many. I've been fishing G.I. for years and every year I have the same results regardless of the amount of new anglers added to the mix. What about the days when there were no limits, we sure still catching a bunch of fish still today even after theyd keep as many fish as they caught.

If you've ever read the trout masters book each speck releases tens of thousands of eggs every year maybe even hundreds of thousands(id check but my friend has the book) if you go by that, think about the hog explosion and fish will make many many more fish per year than a hog can make hogs. now I know alot of the fish become food for bigger fish but still theres more than enough to go around. And if you want trophy trout, change your tactics and fish for trophy trout. Your not going to catch trophy trout by fishing for schooling trout.

Ray
02-24-2010, 10:34 AM
If I bring in more fish than I can keep, I invite my parents over to eat.
I don't fish enough to hurt the population.

simplepeddler
02-24-2010, 10:35 AM

And when I am invited to go on a guided trip I keep the limit. Figure it's paid for...........usually cook those at the office for the gang

My apologies,.............that read back to me like I was a *****..........

Can be, but wasen't trying this time

simplepeddler
02-24-2010, 10:36 AM
Frankly, I am not sure a rod and reel can hurt the population.........

Salty
02-24-2010, 10:38 AM

Some people catch them and give them to family, friends, etc. while others think that catching limit after limit proves how good a fisherman they are. They couldn't be more wrong.

Ray
02-24-2010, 10:42 AM
I give my parents fish. THey don't fish. They want fish. I give them fish when they ask for it.
No problem.

simplepeddler
02-24-2010, 10:44 AM
Right on Salty!!

I like making small packs and giving them to my older nieghbors.
Two couple that used to fish like crazy but have a little long in the tooth to go.

Old guy is a PIA but I still like to help him

Salty
02-24-2010, 10:49 AM
I give my parents fish. THey don't fish. They want fish. I give them fish when they ask for it.
No problem.

Props to you and peddler. Nothin' unethical about what you're doing.

Ray
02-24-2010, 11:16 AM
I got a question for ya. How many of ya fished the lake years ago when netting was legal. Not to many of ya probably. Fishing back then was tuff and limits was hard to come by and especialy a big girl. You had 500 hundred shrimpboats in the lake and didnt care if you was catching or not. The lake has come along ways in a few years

I did, that's why I started fishing offshore. You could catch lots of fish, they were just small. Before the weirs, there was no problems catching big fish and lots of fish. When they installed them, the shrimp and fish went to crap. That's when the shrimpers went to gill netting. They were not making anymore money shrimping and couldn't afford bigger boats to go offshore. Gill netting was very easy and you made lots of money.
Before the weirs, the Texas boats would come over there to shrimp in the lake on opening weekend cause their season opened on a different day.
Both sides of the lake was always full of boats shrimping.
The lake was deeper then and the old jetties stuck up out of the water a lot higher. Jr's cut was just big enough for 1 butterfly barge, now it is big enough for a ship to go thru.

Salty
02-24-2010, 11:20 AM
I got a question for ya. How many of ya fished the lake years ago when netting was legal. Not to many of ya probably. Fishing back then was tuff and limits was hard to come by and especialy a big girl. You had 500 hundred shrimpboats in the lake and didnt care if you was catching or not. The lake has come along ways in a few years

That's pretty much the story all along the coast. The fishing in Breton Sound is 1000X better now than before the net ban. Trout in the 3-4 lb. range are rediculous out there now. Even though nets weren't set in the Sound, they hammered those same trout inside and, like W said about the reds, they never made it outside.

The net ban is the single greatest thing that has ever happened to Louisiana's fishing.....aside from W gettin' into wading.

cmdrost
02-24-2010, 11:30 AM
Frankly, I am not sure a rod and reel can hurt the population.........

You & W would be wrong on this issue.....the trout fishery is suffering. Facts will be made known before year end. Then I'll expect a big "I'm sorry and was wrong" from many posters on this board. :*****:

Like Forrest Gump: "Thats all I'm gonna say about that!"

Salty
02-24-2010, 11:32 AM
You & W would be wrong on this issue.....the trout fishery is suffering. Facts will be made known before year end. Then I'll expect a big "I'm sorry and was wrong" from many posters on this board. :*****:

When fishermen are smokin' redfish like they are at them wiers....it has to take a toll sooner or later.

Wag
02-24-2010, 11:42 AM
I think becoming a conservationist is something that rippens over a period of time. I know when I was young it was a numbers game, getting a limit, hunting and fishing for everything, how fast can I limit out...that type of thing.......but as you grow older it's more of ... slow down relax and enjoy everything nature has to offer type thing, it doesn't matter if you catch anything or kill anything, just nice to be part of it......Oh, and this morning, a pair of wood ducks entered the nesting box that is in my backyard.....that's was just as fun as watching them come in the decoys.

Ray
02-24-2010, 11:47 AM
I am addicted to spicey fried fish. I gotta get my fix when ever I can.
I don't wanna kill the fish just to kill them.
I'll eat any fish that ain't too bloody or oily.

yak'em-n-stack'em
02-24-2010, 12:04 PM

Mediumheavyaction6'6
02-24-2010, 12:32 PM

wait, i see what you did there.....even though I too read the thread!

Fishmaster
02-24-2010, 12:39 PM
:withstupid:

BossHog
02-24-2010, 12:47 PM

I dont see how you can think the trout fishery is suffering. The last couple of years has been some of the best fishing there has been, maybe not for big trout like it was but as far as catching numbers of good fish theres no problem.

cmdrost
02-24-2010, 02:45 PM
just wait....just because your tire is full of air now doesn't mean theres a leak in it and it will be flat in a couple of days.

"W"
02-24-2010, 02:53 PM
Chas.... There is no way you can convince me that you can fish out trout with rod n reel.....you can destroy your estuary and deplete fish but not rod n reel.... I would have to see hard facts and evidence....not ifs,or stipulations

SULPHITE
02-24-2010, 02:55 PM
I think he means it goes hand in hand...depleted habitat along with sport fisherman, guides, shrimp boats, oyster boats, pollution, mothernature (could be some others) will in the long run deplete the population.

"W"
02-24-2010, 03:04 PM
I have fished big lake a longtime.... Yes we have some erosion problems but were also laying rocks to prevent this....

As far as our Marsh....Man can not protect it like mother nature.... We are destroying it our selves by controlling our waterways.....you can't control water from its god given course but what the hell do I know.... I just fish out here

Salty
02-24-2010, 03:05 PM
Chas.... There is no way you can convince me that you can fish out trout with rod n reel.....you can destroy your estuary and deplete fish but not rod n reel.... I would have to see hard facts and evidence....not ifs,or stipulations

:confused:

stipulation; a condition, demand, or promise in an agreement or contract.

W, stop butcherin' the English language! :smokin:

Ray
02-24-2010, 03:09 PM
Them marshes don't hold near the shrimp and bait it did before the weirs.
The Specks don't go up in the marshes anymore either. Cause the marsh
stays full of fresh water now.

The ship channel is what caused all the erosion.

cmdrost
02-24-2010, 03:24 PM
Thank you Sulphite for trying to make him understand. Its a lost cause with that one. Don't worry W, you'll get your stipulations soon.:rotfl:

Ray
02-24-2010, 03:32 PM
Not near as much as when I was a young man. The things I see the weirs helped out are crabs and Flounder. They killed the shrimp population back there. If you think there are a lot of shrimp in there, you should have seen it before the weirs and the first couple years after. I can hook you up with a couple fellers who used to shrimp the private marshes. They will tell you what it did.
And after Rita, when the levees were blasted open, there were suddenly a buttload of shrimp back there again. Fix the levees and the shrimp fall off again.
Everything eats shrimp. More shrimp, more healthy fisheries.
There should be a better way to fix the marshes than to block them off.

Flounder and Reds are always pretty good back up in there.

SULPHITE
02-24-2010, 03:51 PM
Not near as much as when I was a young man. The things I see the weirs helped out are crabs and Flounder. They killed the shrimp population back there. If you think there are a lot of shrimp in there, you should have seen it before the weirs and the first couple years after. I can hook you up with a couple fellers who used to shrimp the private marshes. They will tell you what it did.
And after Rita, when the levees were blasted open, there were suddenly a buttload of shrimp back there again. Fix the levees and the shrimp fall off again.
Everything eats shrimp. More shrimp, more healthy fisheries.
There should be a better way to fix the marshes than to block them off.

Flounder and Reds are always pretty good back up in there.

Yeah that was some good fishing...trout were were in there thick...

do we let the marsh erode or do we protect the fish? Do we protect people, property, roads or the fish.

We have chosen to change mother nature with the ship channel...but regardless marshes etc will change over hundreds of years without human interaction.

Salty
02-24-2010, 03:54 PM
Thank you Sulphite for trying to make him understand. Its a lost cause with that one. Don't worry W, you'll get your stipulations soon.:rotfl:

:*****:

LaAngler
02-24-2010, 04:19 PM
The ship channel is what caused all the erosion.

the ship channel is also why the trout grow so big

the reason why people aren't catching as many 8+ lbers is b/c people are KEEPING THEM

not as many knew how to fish for them as nowadays, too many texans

cmdrost
02-24-2010, 04:24 PM
yep! Ship Channel big part of mystique of Big Lake. Direct line from gulf to the flats helps those trout get big!

Lots of pressure from many anglers, not just texans, but Houston, TX, one of the US' largest cities is just 2 hours away. They are over here often. Just call a taxidermist in Houston area and ask him where most his trout come from!

"W"
02-24-2010, 04:31 PM
So when God created the marshes around big lake were they intended to be fresh or saltwater marshes??????? Is a marsh not a main food supply? I guess I missed that science class when we were told that we needed weirs to control our saltwater marshes!!!!

Bluechip
02-24-2010, 04:36 PM
My dad still often tells stories of when they used to go to "Black Lake" and rent a boat and paddle out to catch white perch all day long. He said it was a big fresh water lake....

cmdrost
02-24-2010, 04:37 PM
W....You trying to cross mojinate this thread with your weir thread??

SULPHITE
02-24-2010, 04:40 PM
So when God created the marshes around big lake were they intended to be fresh or saltwater marshes??????? Is a marsh not a main food supply? I guess I missed that science class when we were told that we needed weirs to control our saltwater marshes!!!!

The levees and canals etc have changed the "natural" marsh...therefore it does not follow the natural course of nature. The marsh is killed by too much salt water and erosion occurs. thus leading to land loss, leading to a hurricane wiping out all coastal areas.

Is this correct?? Yak or Heavy?

IDK...Making my head hurt...:spineyes:

SULPHITE
02-24-2010, 04:41 PM
My dad still often tells stories of when they used to go to "Black Lake" and rent a boat and paddle out to catch white perch all day long. He said it was a big fresh water lake....

Wow...thats crazy.

"W"
02-24-2010, 05:01 PM
My dad caught a tarpon on a sparkle beetle at 210 with 10lb test on joe lanzas hole

Mediumheavyaction6'6
02-24-2010, 05:05 PM
The levees and canals etc have changed the "natural" marsh...therefore it does not follow the natural course of nature. The marsh is killed by too much salt water and erosion occurs. thus leading to land loss, leading to a hurricane wiping out all coastal areas.

Is this correct?? Yak or Heavy?

IDK...Making my head hurt...:spineyes:

you are correct sir! if you think about it anything above the coast should not be saltwater at all. there is no river of saltwater flowing from north to south so there are no natural saltwater marshes above the beaches of louisiana.

cmdrost
02-24-2010, 05:20 PM
My dad caught a tarpon on a sparkle beetle at 210 with 10lb test on joe lanzas hole

Go into Gordons Drug Store and talk with George Paret. He always talks of those stories. Hell, they still catch tarpon in Galveston and in Grand Isle/Venice. Wish they still swam the lake!!! Man could you imagine throwing a big topwater in the summer at Long Point and having a tarpon explode on it!

SULPHITE
02-24-2010, 05:37 PM
Go into Gordons Drug Store and talk with George Paret. He always talks of those stories. Hell, they still catch tarpon in Galveston and in Grand Isle/Venice. Wish they still swam the lake!!! Man could you imagine throwing a big topwater in the summer at Long Point and having a tarpon explode on it!

I think I would crap my pants.

jchief
02-24-2010, 06:54 PM
Any of you ever notice the 2 big Cypress stumps in Turners? My dad used to tell me when he was a kid, they caught many bass in Big Lake.

On the other hand, I vividly remember sitting at the mouth of West pass and catching our 100 fish in a few hours many weekends while they were netting tons of trout in West Cove.

There are not the fish in the Calcasieu Estuary that there was 30 or 40 years ago.

huntin fool
02-24-2010, 06:55 PM
Any of you ever notice the 2 big Cypress stumps in Turners? My dad used to tell me when he was a kid, they caught many bass in Big Lake.

On the other hand, I vividly remember sitting at the mouth of West pass and catching our 100 fish in a few hours many weekends while they were netting tons of trout in West Cove.

There are not the fish in the Calcasieu Estuary that there was 30 or 40 years ago.

the stumps like these? or smaller? i've never seen them..

jchief
02-24-2010, 08:34 PM
Smaller. The tide has to be way out for them to be seen

yak'em-n-stack'em
02-24-2010, 08:42 PM
Tarpon still go into Lake P. during the summer.

And to add to med heavy, there will be an article in Cajun Outdoors in march that i wrote that is a VERY simple explanation,

but.

there is a natural process, before the damming of the mississippi river, the cheniers and marshes on the west side of the state were formed from huge mudflats that would develop on the coast, then be vegetated, then the "beach" would be reworked causing a new barrier island "cheneir" and the process starts over and over again.

many people dont understand that erosion is a natural process, but the problem is is that we as humans have stopped the rebuilding functions

SULPHITE
02-24-2010, 09:07 PM
many people dont understand that erosion is a natural process, but the problem is is that we as humans have stopped the rebuilding functions

thats what I was trying to say!! good explanation Yak!!!!

Gerald
02-25-2010, 12:25 AM

Where are these located?

I have seen the ~3 foot dia. "rock" that is out west of the island in Turners. I see boats up on plane over near that rock....just waiting for one of them to hit it.

BossHog
02-25-2010, 12:58 AM

Well I'm convinced cmdrost is a democrat, he believes everything he reads or hears. Spend a little time out there on the water you talk about so much and see whats really going on. Theres no problem at all, and thats been proven by all the good reports, fish storys , pics ,and guide testimonals saying that lake is great shape. Your just like obama and algore and wanta cause problems and try to fix something that needs absolutely no help at all!!!

Ray
02-25-2010, 08:01 AM
The old 85 year old man across the street from me said he was catching Specks in Prien Lake when he was a kid. There had to be salt water up there.

Ray
02-25-2010, 08:01 AM
Well I'm convinced cmdrost is a democrat,

:eek:That's a low blow cuz...:eek:

specktator
02-25-2010, 08:27 AM
Exactly.........I'll keep a limit of fish, which I don't fish every day or even every w/e, don't even go 5 months out of the year due to hunting.

i think u just don't like to clean deer! Lol

"W"
02-25-2010, 08:52 AM
Well I'm convinced cmdrost is a democrat, he believes everything he reads or hears. Spend a little time out there on the water you talk about so much and see whats really going on. Theres no problem at all, and thats been proven by all the good reports, fish storys , pics ,and guide testimonals saying that lake is great shape. Your just like obama and algore and wanta cause problems and try to fix something that needs absolutely no help at all!!!

Ray
02-25-2010, 10:33 AM
Did ya'll catch any bass???
I seen bass in Prien Lake in a boat house, but never in Big Lake.
This is the longest time I have seen fresh water in Big Lake.

exspeck big specks
02-25-2010, 10:37 AM
Release big trout over 5lb.'s just makes sense they just are not good to eat, and also I do it out of plain respect for those big sows that have lived that long.

I Love Big Lake and have seen it go threw cycles my whole life. My grandfather says since THE GILL NETTERS were banned that lake has made a 180 degree turn for the better. That was a big problem for them when they were kids. He said there was a few stumps in Prien but nothing further than Moss Lake. When the river was diverted to the ship channel, they built the locks up north which ultimately stopped the majority of fresh water from FREE FLOWING like before.

Ray
02-25-2010, 10:49 AM
Before the weirs, there were not near as many gill nets and strike nets.
Daming up the marshes killed shrimping so the commercial fishermen went
to gill nets and strike nets.
The strike netters were the *******s of the lake. They would spot a flock
of birds and surround them with a mile of strike net and catch every fish
in the school.
I have been surrounded by the strike nets and told to get out of their
school of fish before.

Salty
02-25-2010, 10:57 AM
Well I'm convinced cmdrost is a democrat

:eek:That's a low blow cuz...:eek:

YIKES!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ban his azz. :) :smokin:

cmdrost
02-25-2010, 10:58 AM

First off. F you! Very conservative republican and proud of it! You don't know me so don't get on a public board proclaiming you've got me pegged

second. I'm very involved with CCA on a local, state, and national level. I am privy to information not made public. I fish whenever possible and have grown up on the water and am prob out there more than you

LaAngler
02-25-2010, 11:15 AM
Ray there has been salt up there as long as I can remember. I use to go shrimping up there with my dad and paw paw when I was a kid

i've caught stripers in prien lake, never a largemouth or bluegill tho.....

i've been fishing it for 24 years

Salty
02-25-2010, 11:42 AM
This guy doesnt know you to good hu. I like your first comment

Thirdly....when it comes to Big lake, you never argue with anyone named "Drost". :) :rolleyes: :smokin: :shaking:

Ray
02-25-2010, 11:44 AM
Thirdly....when it comes to Big lake, you never argue with anyone named "Drost". :) :rolleyes: :smokin: :shaking:

Why???

Salty
02-25-2010, 11:45 AM
Why???

Just cuz. :rolleyes:

Ray
02-25-2010, 11:48 AM
BossHog did...

Salty
02-25-2010, 11:50 AM
BossHog did...

Yeah, I know. :eek:

"W"
02-25-2010, 11:56 AM

All I can say is I know both of you guys......and I know BossHog spends more time on the water and has learned from the Best on the Lake.... I Know that Boss is a great fisherman as he and his family are all good....

I know CMdrost....he is big with the CCA and knows lots of info....

I myself disagree with some of his views but thats what makes it great....To get to bash out opinions.....

I spend lots of time on the water also...not as much as BosShog but more than Chas...... So I really see both arguments....

First off. F you! Very conservative republican and proud of it! You don't know me so don't get on a public board proclaiming you've got me pegged

second. I'm very involved with CCA on a local, state, and national level. I am privy to information not made public. I fish whenever possible and have grown up on the water and am prob out there more than you

yea..........Get some popcorn.....

cmdrost
02-25-2010, 12:12 PM
:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: good pic W!

huntin fool
02-25-2010, 04:42 PM
You re also right on that to Salty:)

your right salty.

huntin fool
02-25-2010, 04:43 PM
I bet i spend more time on the water than you!

"I spend lots of time on the water also...not as much as BosShog but more than Chas...... So I really see both arguments...."

Aint nobody cares who stays out on the water the most..what is this kindergarten? We care about who catches the biggest trout!

jchief
02-25-2010, 08:19 PM
The stumps are in the same area as the "rock" to the east of the island but right where the old river runs.

How many realize that Big Lake was not there in its current form until after the Channel was dug in the 40's. There used to be a winding river, like that above the locks, that went all the way to the Gulf

I would love to find a map that shows where the river ran before they dredged the channel

LaAngler
02-25-2010, 09:39 PM
We care about who catches the biggest trout!

i think bosshog has had 2 tens

huntin fool
02-25-2010, 09:41 PM

Sun of a mother's lover!!!!

He's got waltrip beat my 5 pounds...

all star rod
02-25-2010, 09:54 PM
Glad things settled down. At one point, you would of thought it was a THREAD about LSU Sports with all the back and fourth NEGATIVE talk!:D

MAN 2 10 pounders thats BAD STUFF!!!

fishinpox
02-25-2010, 10:03 PM

:eek::eek::eek::eek: thats da ****

yak'em-n-stack'em
02-26-2010, 12:03 AM
I see where your coming from chas,

most people refuse to see it, but when you are catching record numbers, thats when you need to be the most careful.

Pride cometh before a fall,

just remember that, it applies to more than just personalities, you can apply it to this situation.

In nature, when an ecosystem is doing "its best", that means it is closest to its "tipping point" or the point where 1 thing (coldest winter in 115 years, super low water, dredging , natural erosion, etc,) can set a downward spiral.

We need to remember that we are guest to nature, we shouldnt "own" any of it. or tell it what it can or cant do, this was the philosophy in the 20th century, and look what that did to the state of Louisiana and its coastal areas.

Look up the swamp busters act.

Just remember more than anything guys, that respect for nature is the key to not only natures survival but your own.

/end rant lol

Dink
02-26-2010, 12:14 AM
Tarpon still go into Lake P. during the summer.

And to add to med heavy, there will be an article in Cajun Outdoors in march that i wrote that is a VERY simple explanation,

but.

there is a natural process, before the damming of the mississippi river, the cheniers and marshes on the west side of the state were formed from huge mudflats that would develop on the coast, then be vegetated, then the "beach" would be reworked causing a new barrier island "cheneir" and the process starts over and over again.

Yak em............heres my idea, let me know if it'll work.............I say blow the south levee holding the mighty Mississippi from B.R. on south.........That'll replenish the marshes for half the state!!! Im sure it'll cut a path eventually, but heck man, let that river do what it was made to do..........rebuild our coast!!! Oh and on the wier thing..............Blow them too...............Tim:work:

meaux fishing
02-26-2010, 12:51 AM
Yak em............heres my idea, let me know if it'll work.............I say blow the south levee holding the mighty Mississippi from B.R. on south.........That'll replenish the marshes for half the state!!! Im sure it'll cut a path eventually, but heck man, let that river do what it was made to do..........rebuild our coast!!! Oh and on the wier thing..............Blow them too...............Tim:work:
Tim you just want to see **** get blown up dont you......I like it

Dink
02-26-2010, 12:53 AM
Just wait!! I got plans for this weekend!!! BOOOOOOMMM!!!!!!

Dink
02-26-2010, 12:55 AM
Tim you just want to see **** get blown up dont you......I like it

Actually, I'd call George W bush in........after all, he has all that experience after blowing up the levee during Katrina!

yak'em-n-stack'em
02-26-2010, 01:18 AM
well i dont know if you were serious or not, but destroying the levees below laplace is the only real chance we have left.

Gerald
02-26-2010, 01:21 AM

Say Tim......that was real concern of the people that lived along the river back during the flood / very high river back in 1973, I think. I was working at one of the plants along the river back then. The river water got to about 4' higher than the road that ran along the levee.

There were several places that had "river" water seeping under the levee and people were really worried that the levee would give away.

The real threat was the coonass that lived in that area might go the other side of the river and blow up the levee to save there side from flooding.

cmdrost
02-26-2010, 09:10 AM
I see where your coming from chas,

most people refuse to see it, but when you are catching record numbers, thats when you need to be the most careful.

Pride cometh before a fall,

just remember that, it applies to more than just personalities, you can apply it to this situation.

In nature, when an ecosystem is doing "its best", that means it is closest to its "tipping point" or the point where 1 thing (coldest winter in 115 years, super low water, dredging , natural erosion, etc,) can set a downward spiral.

We need to remember that we are guest to nature, we shouldnt "own" any of it. or tell it what it can or cant do, this was the philosophy in the 20th century, and look what that did to the state of Louisiana and its coastal areas.

Look up the swamp busters act.

Just remember more than anything guys, that respect for nature is the key to not only natures survival but your own.

/end rant lol

Well said!

Swamp Critter
08-25-2010, 09:09 AM
When I'm out fishing, I don't throw beer cans and bottles out of the boat so they litter the place. I shoot'em full of holes so they sink to the bottom! LOL! Just kidding. Couldn't resist.