PDA

View Full Version : help, stuck steering

hook m up
02-27-2010, 08:04 PM
just bought boat and the steering is all but impossible. any tricks to freeing it up? It's a 21' cajun with a Johnston 150. with the double steering cables.

Sea-Trac Offshore
02-27-2010, 08:22 PM
Take it off at the motor and see if it will free up as it could just be dirt in the slide. Me personally, I would just replace it to be safe and go with a no feedback system.

longsidelandry
02-27-2010, 10:28 PM
Take it off at the motor and see if it will free up as it could just be dirt in the slide. Me personally, I would just replace it to be safe and go with a no feedback system.
I had to do that with mine last summer. Just pull it out of the tube and clean it very well, both the rod and inside the tube where the rod runs through then put as much never ceaze as you can stuff in there.

Gerald
02-27-2010, 10:52 PM
I had to do that with mine last summer. Just pull it out of the tube and clean it very well, both the rod and inside the tube where the rod runs through then put as much never ceaze as you can stuff in there.

I think my boat is made the same as yours.

IMO.....this design is made so that it will rust inside and get hard to steer.

It can be fixed.....but takes a little work.

Disconnect the steering cable from the engine. Then take the caps off each end where the steering rod goes through on the engine. You will see that it is all "rusted" up inside. This is where the rod is supposed to slide back and fourth as you turn the steering wheel......but this rod is not greased.

Clean it up as best you can. Then put in as much grease as you can. Reinstall.

Sea-Trac Offshore
02-27-2010, 11:00 PM
Easiest way to clean in there. Get a hand held pipe cleaner. It has a bunch of wire bristles. Cut it off the handle with some shaft left. Put it in a drill and spray some cleaner in the tube and run the pipe cleaner in there. Works wonders.

Also install a Davis cable Buddy on the end by the tube. I installed a ton of those and they work great for the cables.

Gerald
02-27-2010, 11:20 PM
Easiest way to clean in there. Get a hand held pipe cleaner. It has a bunch of wire bristles. Cut it off the handle with some shaft left. Put it in a drill and spray some cleaner in the tube and run the pipe cleaner in there. Works wonders.

Also install a Davis cable Buddy on the end by the tube. I installed a ton of those and they work great for the cables.

Mind was so rusted that it was badly pitted in side. I use a big "rat tail" file to get most of the rust out.

Also install a Davis cable Buddy on the end by the tube

I have never seen something like this.......where could I buy one in the Lake Charles area?

Reel Bender
02-27-2010, 11:24 PM
Disconnect at motor and turn motor by hand and make sure it is not tight. Sometimes the problem is lack of lubrication on the motor pivot point.

usually it is the cable but not always.

Sea-Trac Offshore
02-27-2010, 11:32 PM
If you have a West Marine or something related they would carry it. Dont ask them, just look in mechanical or by the steering goodies.

Gerald
02-27-2010, 11:38 PM
Thanks.....we have a West Marine. Don't buy from there usually because of their $$$$$.

But will look into the cable Buddy.

Sea-Trac Offshore
02-27-2010, 11:49 PM
http://www.davisnet.com/productpics/big/00420.jpg

hook m up
02-28-2010, 07:25 AM
thanks guys. I like the lube nut. I guess this will be labor intensive. I have to get my wife on the steering wheel and me on the motor to turn it. I'll just have to try to pull the rods all the way out.

Sea-Trac Offshore
02-28-2010, 08:29 AM
Unscrew the nut on the rod on the cable end once you take the steering arm loose. If the steering wheel does not move the rod the rod is tuck in there. If it does,its the cables or the helm. If the rod is stuck try hammering it out but becareful not to damage anything. Its not that hard of a job. Just time consuming to do it right thats all. Naturally when you work on your boat it will be beautiful weather as well and you will read stellar fishing reports that evening from that day!