PDA

View Full Version : Electrical demons...help!

LaAngler
03-20-2010, 02:21 AM
i was hooking up my cranker battery to the 40 horse tonight, by accident i crossed the positive and negative at first. there was a small spark at the battery terminal just for a split second....(nothing out of the ordinary)

switched them around a minute later and now i have no trim, no ignition....

traced wires from battery to remote couldn't find any fuses or breakers....

any ideas? i hated to tear into the remote if it could be something simple i'm overlooking.

Ray
03-20-2010, 02:25 AM
Hopefully it is a burnt wire somewhere.
Did you try to jump across the solenoid to see if it will turn over?
If you have a meter or light, see if you have voltage at the battery, starter,
key switch... ect. All of the major areas.
There may also be an fusable link somewhere in the positive wire.
It is hard to tell without seeing what you have.

LaAngler
03-20-2010, 02:27 AM
got power at battery for sure, i'll pull the fluke out in the morning when i can see better.....

just doesn't seem like switching the + and - would burn thru a wire that fast

wtretrievers
03-20-2010, 02:31 AM
Should have a relay for up & one for down, but they should only get power to them when the trim button is pushed.:confused: There has to be a fuse somewhere....more than likely theres a fuse under the cowling. Most of the time its on the right side looking at the back of the motor

LaAngler
03-20-2010, 02:35 AM
it's not just trim, starter not spinning when key is turned also....

i'm wondering if something inside the remote :(

i think wiring problem more likely

wtretrievers
03-20-2010, 02:44 AM
I meant to mention the ignition also......there has to be a fuse somewhere, no way that the ignition & trim are wired direct. Has to be a fuse:confused: I could be wrong, have seen some crazy things!

adamsfence
03-20-2010, 02:45 AM
if everything quit you have to have a fuse burnt or something........man i hate it for you tracing down wiring is a pay in the a$$. you will just have to get a meter and find out where you loose power. thats the only way if you can't find a fuse

wtretrievers
03-20-2010, 02:54 AM
The only thing in the throttle box is ignition switch, trim & cables (no fuses)& a pain in the @zz to put back together if it's not in there. Is there a panel with all fuses on it? Make sure you check under the cowling for that fuse, had one blow on 60 hp & like to have never figured it out, then I just happened to find it!

Ray
03-20-2010, 02:56 AM
The battery can have 12 vdc and still not have enough amps to carry a big load.
The battery may need to be load tested with a battery tester. Or try another battery.
Check and see if any of the lights are working. That isn't a big load, but it might help you troubleshoot where the power is interupted.

LaAngler
03-20-2010, 03:00 AM
no fuse panel, i'll try looking under the cowling tomorrow, was hard to see anything tonight with a flashlight....

battery has full power, i tested trolling motor on it to make sure.....

just ran the thing last sunday, i burnt something when i hooked it up backwards....had to.

found this thread, not enough info but sounds the same issue

40 hp yamaha no start - iboats Boating Forums

B-Stealth
03-20-2010, 05:00 AM
LA I did the same thing to my buddies 40 nissan; it blew a fuse. :confused:

You need to find "that" fuse on your engine.

I'm sorry I couldnt be more specific, good luck.

Jordan
03-20-2010, 09:06 AM
there is no main panel on the boat ? On my bay boat its on the inside of the center console. It has like ~16~ or so fuses..... thats the first thing i check when i "hook something up"

Dink
03-20-2010, 10:17 AM
Bruce, bring it by later, call me first..........May be out on the road......maybe we can go put mine in the water for a little ride.........

eman
03-20-2010, 01:21 PM
Start w/ one wire and check continuity move to next wire and so on. If you have multiple wires that do not show continuity THERE is a fuse block or main breaker blown somewhere.Or a burnt harness.

Reel Bender
03-20-2010, 01:33 PM
Fuse on the motor 4 shur

Redchaser
03-20-2010, 06:00 PM
Their is an in line fuse near one of the power packs. Sometime 's their is also an extra fuse attatched. Already done that one before.

jchief
03-20-2010, 06:02 PM
Their is an in line fuse near one of the power packs. Sometime 's their is also an extra fuse attatched. Already done that one before.

there is one under the callen. Sounds like it is blown.

Gottogo49
03-20-2010, 07:13 PM
Redchaser is right, I did the same thing once, it's a little fuse on the engine. It's cheap to fix, you just have to find the little booger. I guess it's there to save the power pack. You don't want to ruin one of those. Good luck, let us know what you find.

LaAngler
03-20-2010, 09:27 PM

bingo, 20 amp fuse blew, extra was right next to it :rotfl:

thanks all

huntin fool
03-20-2010, 09:28 PM
bingo, 20 amp fuse blew, extra was right next to it :rotfl:

thanks all

when we hittin lacassine ti?

Ray
03-20-2010, 09:57 PM
Be sure to get an extra "extra". Just in case.

rkent
03-20-2010, 10:21 PM
Should have a relay for up & one for down, but they should only get power to them when the trim button is pushed.:confused: There has to be a fuse somewhere....more than likely theres a fuse under the cowling. Most of the time its on the right side looking at the back of the motor

Inline fuse use under the cowling, burnt mine one time and no juice to anything that was motor related.