PDA

View Full Version : Shimano

Salty
06-13-2009, 09:22 PM
I asked Shimano which one of their high-end baitcasters is best suited for coastal fishing. The reply e-mail is interesting.

Salty,

Hm, Chronarch, Core, or Calais? They all have their advantages and disadvantages. The Chronarch is probably the most reliable of the three but a little heavier. The Core is lighter but you have to baby it to prevent it from corroding. The Calais is super smooth and casts a country mile but the tolerances are so tight that if you wade with it you will have issues with contaminates/sand.

If I had to choose I would probably go with the Chronarch because weight isn't a big issue with me, it has a brass drive gear instead of the anodized aluminum (problematic) one in the Core, and I can wade with it and not worry about the grains of sand slowing the reel down.

The Core does not match up with the Calais. The Calais is smoother and more durable. The down side is that it weighs more, has more bearings that are susceptible to saltwater (potentially rusting), and the tolerances are very tight.

Honestly, if you fish from a boat or dock then the Calais is the way to go if you can afford it. But, if you plan on getting in the water and wading then it's not the reel you need.

I must say this, I haven't see one bit of frame corrosion on the Core. I have seen bad drive gears and corroded ratchet but the frames seem to be holding up for now. They haven't been out that long so only time will tell.

Saltwater and magnesium do not go well together. Shimano came out with the Chronarch 50MG in '05 and labeled it as "saltwater safe". There have been a lot of issues with that reel corroding. They originally thought that the protectant coating would prevent corrosion but it didn't. When they first started seeing problems they said that the coating was applied too thick on the first production run and it was chipping off causing the magnesium to be exposed to saltwater. So, with the great customer service that Shimano has they offered to replace it under warranty.

If you have any more questions just let me know.

-Matt

"W"
06-13-2009, 09:31 PM
Salty....Why you making that stuff up.....I got a copy of the real letter also this is the truth

Salty

What kind of question is this? Best reel is what W uses ! Just look at the trout he slings in the boat with that Curado! Please dont ask a question like this again!

If you have any more questions just let me know

-Matt

Salty
06-13-2009, 09:40 PM
Geaux to bed or I'll put you to bed.

"W"
06-13-2009, 09:42 PM

:*****::*****::*****::smokin:

huntin fool
06-13-2009, 09:57 PM

:eek: take it to the gill net please :)

LaAngler
06-13-2009, 11:52 PM
Good thread Salty, looks like the chronarch is a good all around best bet.

i wish rod selection was this easy.....

Salty
06-13-2009, 11:56 PM
W always said them $50 specials from Academy are the best.

Hopedale Hustler
06-14-2009, 11:44 AM
get a calcutta..its all youll ever need.

huntin fool
06-14-2009, 11:47 AM
get a calcutta..its all youll ever need.

i heard calcuttas could be junk sometimes. i fished with one when i was night fishing, 1- it didn't cast far since the guy didn't have ANY line on it.

it deffiantly wasn't smoother then my citica and curado.

LaAngler
06-14-2009, 02:46 PM
calcutta's are great reels, i used to only use calcutta but i started liking the low profile baitcasters better.

Austin(boatman's son)
06-14-2009, 03:07 PM
calcuttas are a piece of junk sometimes, exactly like fool said. I dont like them. I like my cruxis, it never gives me any problems. I wouldnt mind a curado though!!!

SULPHITE
06-14-2009, 04:07 PM
For the price and durability you can't beat the curado...especially now they have downsized them...with a nice med lt rod you can cast all day.

LaAngler
06-14-2009, 05:58 PM
all calcutta's are far from junk

J.D.L
06-14-2009, 06:29 PM
calcuttas are a piece of junk sometimes, exactly like fool said. I dont like them. I like my cruxis, it never gives me any problems. I wouldnt mind a curado though!!!

You really believe that a Cruxis is better than a Calcutta?

Austin(boatman's son)
06-14-2009, 07:20 PM
yea cuz it never gave me problems like ppl with calcuttas have.

huntin fool
06-14-2009, 07:52 PM
yea cuz it never gave me problems like ppl with calcuttas have.

calcuttas are WAY better then cruxis/citica just that the one i threw had no line so it didn't throw good so it wasn't smoother then my citica or curado. you dont have to agree with me.

but i have heard from 2 guys that they had messed up on em.

Salty
06-14-2009, 07:56 PM
calcuttas are WAY better then cruxis whatever. just that the one i threw had no line so it didn't throw good so it wasn't smoother then my citica or curado. you dont have to agree with me.

Dood, none of 'em cast very good w/o line. Should I have spooled that Curado? :confused:

huntin fool
06-14-2009, 07:58 PM
Dood, none of 'em cast very good w/o line. Should I have spooled that Curado? :confused:

i said they wouldn't throw good w/o much line! i got mine spooled up. the calcutta wasn't spooled up with much line so it wouldn't cast far.

huntin fool
06-14-2009, 08:19 PM
cajun! looks like yall had a blast! good haul. thats always what i wanted to do is catch a dolphin,and a marlin!

LaAngler
06-14-2009, 08:24 PM
start your own thread cajun! LMAO

"W"
06-14-2009, 09:03 PM
start your own thread cajun! LMAO

:*****::rotfl::*****:

Austin(boatman's son)
06-14-2009, 09:12 PM
My dads friends calcutta screwed up on him, actually two of his did. I bet all of yall that i can cast a cruxis just as far as a calcutta. I already experimented with that so i dont have to bet. I can cast my cruxis all day without backlash, but one cast with a calcutta..... ssssssssssssssssssssss its over.

huntin fool
06-14-2009, 09:13 PM
My dads friends calcutta screwed up on him, actually two of his did. I bet all of yall that i can cast a cruxis just as far as a calcutta. I already experimented with that so i dont have to bet. I can cast my cruxis all day without backlash, but one cast with a calcutta..... ssssssssssssssssssssss its over.

i went that WHOLE night without back lashin the calcutta ;)

Austin(boatman's son)
06-14-2009, 09:16 PM
good for you, wanna a cookie? :*****:

Oilfisher
06-14-2009, 09:24 PM
Salty,

Tried to PM you and LaAngler but it's not showing that I sent any PM's. Trying to get acces to the gill net.

LaAngler
06-14-2009, 09:25 PM
i put you on the list, should be in soon

sorry i didn't reply

Oilfisher
06-14-2009, 09:28 PM
My message did go through then? Just wondering why it wasn't showing that I sent anything. I thought maybe there was a problem with it. By the way thanks.

Salty
06-14-2009, 09:39 PM

Cruxis is a piece of crap compared to other Shimanos.

SULPHITE
06-14-2009, 09:40 PM
My message did go through then? Just wondering why it wasn't showing that I sent anything. I thought maybe there was a problem with it. By the way thanks.

have to check the box to save a "sent" PM, otherwise it doesn't save copy:)

Now...back to reels!!

Oilfisher
06-14-2009, 09:43 PM
Thanks. Sorry, did not mean to hijack the thread. Like you said, now back to reels.

huntin fool
06-14-2009, 09:45 PM
if you want a good reel and isn't expensive go with a citica. for a few bucks more go with curado.

Austin(boatman's son)
06-14-2009, 09:48 PM
Cruxis is a piece of crap compared to other Shimanos.

cruxis a piece of crap???? haha NOT. First of all what "other" shimano reels are you comparing it to? Have you casted or even used a cruxis? And yea it isnt as good as a curado and the chronarch but its definately not a piece of crap. If it was a piece of crap Bob Stoops would have one and not me. :*****:

huntin fool
06-14-2009, 09:50 PM
cruxis a piece of crap???? haha NOT. First of all what "other" shimano reels are you comparing it to? Have you casted or even used a cruxis? And yea it isnt as good as a curado and the chronarch but its definately not a piece of crap. If it was a piece of crap Bob Stoops would have one and not me. :*****:

i wouldn't challenge salty or anything. this dude is like a walking bill board for bombers and he knows about his reels! and texas just won!!!!!!

SULPHITE
06-14-2009, 09:57 PM
No prob Oilfisher!! I had to learn that way too!!

Citica...fool you got the new citica??

Austin(boatman's son)
06-14-2009, 09:58 PM
danget fool know one cares about the longhorns!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol.... I know my reels too, im just saying a cruxis isnt a piece of crap. Dubya would say the same

huntin fool
06-14-2009, 10:03 PM
No prob Oilfisher!! I had to learn that way too!!

Citica...fool you got the new citica??

yup its smooth and light

Austin(boatman's son)
06-14-2009, 10:06 PM
"new" citica????

huntin fool
06-14-2009, 10:13 PM
yes new

SULPHITE
refering to 2009 citica...haven't fished with one yet. The last model (i've got a couple) are bulky and not as smooth...I rather my curados though, but the news look like they are lighter.

Austin(boatman's son)
just brand new? Or they made a new model

Salty
06-14-2009, 10:15 PM
danget fool know one cares about the longhorns!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol.... I know my reels too, im just saying a cruxis isnt a piece of crap. Dubya would say the same

Dood, you'll go on believing a Cruxis is great until you use a GOOD Shimano.

Austin(boatman's son)
06-14-2009, 10:17 PM
i have used a "good" shimano. I used Dubyas curado and my dads curado, and i have to say they are great reels, the best reels i ever casted. But i still LOVE my cruxis. NO DOUBT ABOUT IT

SULPHITE
06-14-2009, 10:19 PM
http://tbn3.google.com/images?q=tbn:xXX_OmI_lM3NvM:http://www.thefriendlyfisherman.co.uk/s_product_images/citicaD.jpg08
http://tbn3.google.com/images?q=tbn:aEU79s9olboIYM:https://secure.beach-net.com/hookemcookem/images/Citica.image.-familyImage-Single-image.dash.512.384.gif.jpg09

huntin fool
06-14-2009, 10:19 PM
citica and curado hands down

Austin(boatman's son)
06-14-2009, 10:21 PM
i used a citica before, its the same as cruxis except citica is smaller. I do like that about them. I like to wrap my hand around the reel

"W"
06-14-2009, 10:25 PM
Just buy a Curado....Hands down....

Austin(boatman's son)
06-14-2009, 10:25 PM
how much you selling them for? Shoot me an email while your at it

Salty
06-14-2009, 10:33 PM
i have used a "good" shimano. I used Dubyas curado and my dads curado, and i have to say they are great reels, the best reels i ever casted. But i still LOVE my cruxis. NO DOUBT ABOUT IT

A Curado doesn't compare to the better Shimano models. If W ever used one...he'd know that.

Austin(boatman's son)
06-14-2009, 10:34 PM
what kind of freakin reel do you have????? If you say a curado sucks to!!!

huntin fool
06-14-2009, 10:35 PM
curados and citicas are good reels, just aren't as good as calais,core etc. for the buck curados and citicas are good

"W"
06-14-2009, 10:36 PM
A Curado doesn't compare to the better Shimano models. If W ever used one...he'd know that.

:shaking::funny::withstupid::trolls::beathorse:

Austin(boatman's son)
06-14-2009, 10:36 PM
core is like 400 isnt it?

"W"
06-14-2009, 10:37 PM
core is like 400 isnt it?

Austin...You dont know nothing about a Core.....:spineyes:

huntin fool
06-14-2009, 10:38 PM
austin, like i said dont act big and bad to salty, this guy has reels worth the total of every rod you have ;)

Austin(boatman's son)
06-14-2009, 10:40 PM
total rod?? the only badd a.. rod i got is the falcon so yea lol

Salty
06-14-2009, 10:43 PM
what kind of freakin reel do you have????? If you say a curado sucks to!!!

I never said Curados suck. I said they don't compare to a Chronarch and certainly not a Calais. These reels cast a bare hook.

Austin(boatman's son)
06-14-2009, 10:49 PM
well good for the calais, give them a cookie :P

Salty
06-14-2009, 11:05 PM
Calais

Austin(boatman's son)
06-14-2009, 11:07 PM
eh its got some scratches on it :P

Salty
06-14-2009, 11:10 PM
eh its got some scratches on it :P

eh, that's because it's caught more fish than you've ever seen. :P

huntin fool
06-14-2009, 11:17 PM
eh, that's because it's caught more fish than you've ever seen. :P

:*****:

Reelman
06-15-2009, 12:03 PM
Guy's
I work on and use both the Calcutta and the old green curado 200. They are both fine reels when well tuned and after that kept up. The curado 200 is a life time reel that is easy to tune up. [But you have to keep it up afterwards as with all reels.] The calcutta is a great reel when tuned up and the plastic bushing on the spool is replaced with a bearing. Afterwards it's a mean machine that will cast further and smoother. These reels that we have so much fun with are so often not taken care of and then give us problems. Well if we would take the time to clean them off [spray bottle with warm water and a small amount on dawn and spray lightly and then blow dry or wipe them off] They might last trouble free for a lot longer.
We all have a different way of thinking and doing things. This is mine.
Thanks and Happy Fishing The Reelman

Austin(boatman's son)
06-15-2009, 12:30 PM
since when do reels have scraches from fish? Use bait not your reel

huntin fool
06-15-2009, 12:33 PM
since when do reels have scraches from fish? Use bait not your reel

dude, i can asure you i have scratches on my reels from fish. my extremes have caught more fish then you have ever in your life, and have paint wore off the top.

Austin(boatman's son)
06-15-2009, 12:35 PM
ok first of all, your pretty much saying what everyone else is saying. Your copying what there saying, just puting it in different wording. And second how in the hell would u know how many fish iv seen in my life??????

huntin fool
06-15-2009, 12:37 PM
ok first of all, your pretty much saying what everyone else is saying. Your copying what there saying, just puting it in different wording. And second how in the hell would u know how many fish iv seen in my life??????

everyone else is saying? because i know what im talking about, and they do to! because i know you havn't been bass fishing hardly much, and ive been on the water WAY longer then you

Austin(boatman's son)
06-15-2009, 12:39 PM
yea freshwater! I got you beat by 100 miles on saltwater

Austin(boatman's son)
06-15-2009, 12:39 PM
and no, you dont know what your talking about. Everytime salty says something, you wait a couple of posts and say the same thing

huntin fool
06-15-2009, 12:41 PM
okay dude. whatever. i aint got time to argue.

huntin fool
06-15-2009, 01:21 PM
and no, you dont know what your talking about. Everytime salty says something, you wait a couple of posts and say the same thing

i do know what im talking about, funny how you want to start stuff saying i dont know what im talking about, or blah blah, and you beg me to take you fishing???

Austin(boatman's son)
06-15-2009, 01:24 PM
you havnt proven to me yet that you can catch big fish

huntin fool
06-15-2009, 01:27 PM
nor will i "prove to you" i dont have to prove to you anything,it doesn't bother me the least bit if you come in my boat or not.

Austin(boatman's son)
06-15-2009, 01:28 PM
once the trolling motor is fixed......................

huntin fool
06-15-2009, 01:30 PM
once the trolling motor is fixed what? you gunna fish ward 8 and catch monster bass? come to me when you catch a 5 lber on the river. do please come.

huntin fool
06-15-2009, 01:30 PM
salty sorry for hi-jacking your post.

Austin(boatman's son)
06-15-2009, 01:42 PM
i didnt say id catcha 5lber did i??? I dont remember... Oh , NO I DIDNT

Hopedale Hustler
06-15-2009, 03:51 PM
whoever says a calcuttas junk is crazy..i got a calcutta a citica and a curado..lovee all 3 of them...they are always in the boat with me on a good castaway rod...now spinning reels on the other hand...cant beat the penn 4000 series for the price and quality..

LaAngler
06-15-2009, 04:03 PM
FOOL and Austin are in danger of a one touch clean