PDA

View Full Version : 2004 Triton 220 lts

Jonathan Allen
04-10-2010, 12:50 PM
I came across a 2004 triton 220 lts for sale yesterday for 13900 and wanted ya'lls opinion on this boat. It has a few scratches and cracks in the gelcoat on the inside of the boat but other than that it just needs some cleaning up. Doesnt have any extras like trolling motor or gps dont really like that about it. The only other thing im not sure about is the motor. It has a 1997 johnson 225 that you have to premix the oil. Wondering if yall thought this is good deal for this boat?

LaAngler
04-10-2010, 12:54 PM
sounds like a lot of work man, i'd have to see it in person

those old oceanpro's are gas hogs, cold natured

FF_T_Warren
04-10-2010, 12:57 PM
I'd pass. You could find a better deal. It wouldn't be a terrible buy but the motor is fairly old and the hull has some cosmetic stuff. And by the time you add everything on. You gonna pay another $2000+- depending on what you put in it

Jonathan Allen
04-10-2010, 01:07 PM
Yea thats kinda the same way i felt but just figured i would ask. Dont really need a new boat but always looking to upgrade to something a little bigger and nicer

all star rod
04-10-2010, 06:31 PM
Buying something that old may seem like a deal up front but I am sure some on here could tell you that any minor so-called outboard motor repair will cost you a few thousand dollars easily if not more and the bad part is you still have an old POS motor.........

mikedatiger
04-10-2010, 07:02 PM
if you find a 2004 220 lts for that price, then something is wrong with it. stay away...

B-Stealth
04-10-2010, 07:12 PM
Get em down to 12k, run the boat until the engine blows up then re-power. If you held on to this rig, you would be ok I think. That engine in only worth about 3k. Good luck.

Jordan
04-10-2010, 10:16 PM
04 triton for that price ? Something's wrong

B-Stealth
04-11-2010, 08:37 AM
04 triton for that price ? Something's wrong

yes, the engine.......

Sea-Trac Offshore
04-11-2010, 09:54 AM
Troublesome model engine. If you are looking for something to repower talk him down as that engine will be costing you soon

Cutty713
04-12-2010, 12:47 PM
"It has a 1997 johnson 225 that you have to premix the oil."

That means it's not a FICTH and should be fine, not the best fuel economy but a very good motor.

Nasty
04-12-2010, 07:46 PM
I had a 1990 Johnson V6 150 that got 2 miles per gallon. A gas hog for sure! I ran it until it crapped out!

Big Kahunaz
04-13-2010, 03:02 AM
"It has a 1997 johnson 225 that you have to premix the oil."

That means it's not a FICTH and should be fine, not the best fuel economy but a very good motor.

I agree. We ran one (1997 ocean pro 150) and never had any problems w/ it for 4 years, then sold the boat and the current owner has never had any major problems out of it to this day. Did you find that 220 LTS on boattrader?

Dink
04-13-2010, 06:50 AM
Do not buy thru a broker!!!! If you cannot talk directly with the owner walk away!!!!!! ASR is referring to me, but on the contrary, I couldn't be happier with my boat....you can look at my thread history, back about 6-8 mths and see why you don't want to go thru a broker

I'd talk him down BC of the motor and plan on a repower in the next few years........

all star rod
04-13-2010, 07:14 AM
Dink please quit trying to flatter your self. If I was talking about you I would direct it towards you. Several on this post commented more or less like I did about old motors in a negative way. I love when people want to ASSUME things!

BTW, if you are SOOOOO happy with your motor why in your last sentence you mention you plan on a repower in the next few years??? Well come to think of it, I could care less!

Dink
04-13-2010, 09:03 AM
That was advise for him......wasn't talking about me.....and sorry, thought it was an under the table jab at me.......

Jonathan Allen
04-13-2010, 02:03 PM
yes i found it on boattrader.com but it is located right down the street from my house. I went and looked at it at boat stuf and they guy told me that a doctor had owned it but wanted something smaller. It definatley shows signs of not being kept up with, gonna see if i can get in touch with the doctor

Jonathan Allen
04-14-2010, 05:37 PM
Still trying to get in touch with the owner of the boat, but got the guy a boat stuf to test everything and run the motor. Everything works except the bilge pump and the motor runs good. I took some pictures to show ya'll some of the spider cracks and also the cracked hatch.

Salty
04-14-2010, 07:51 PM
WOW! :eek: That is some bad webbing. It's nothing structural but sure looks bad.

LaAngler
04-14-2010, 08:03 PM
wonder why that older engine, can you see if another type of engine was bolted on the transom?

can't imagine buying a new hull like that and running a 7 year old motor on it.

i wouldn't give more than 10 for it, need a lot of TLC and $$$$$

Raymond
04-14-2010, 09:34 PM
wonder why that older engine, can you see if another type of engine was bolted on the transom?

can't imagine buying a new hull like that and running a 7 year old motor on it.

i wouldn't give more than 10 for it, need a lot of TLC and $$$$$

Give that man a C-GAR, I do believe he is right:D

all star rod
04-14-2010, 09:42 PM
Thank you.....I basically said that in an earlier post and someone got their panties in a wad.........Amazing how someone can say something and no one questions their comment..........but I say the same thing and someone takes offense.......

Dink
04-14-2010, 09:47 PM
Walk away from that boat.........those photos........looks like it went thru Katrina maybe???.......bet there's a different motor on it cause it was sunk during the hurricane........no way I'd buy that......sorry bud, just my opinion.....

Bluechip
04-14-2010, 09:52 PM
Thank you.....I basically said that in an earlier post and someone got their panties in a wad.........Amazing how someone can say something and no one questions their comment..........but I say the same thing and someone takes offense.......

It's because your an LSU fan......:D

Salty
04-14-2010, 10:04 PM

You sound like my wife..........:rolleyes:

all star rod
04-14-2010, 10:24 PM
It's because your an LSU fan......:D

:*****:However, the sad part is that some on here take offense to what I say just because I am not an LSU fan nor an OBAMA Motor fan.....:D

FISH ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

all star rod
04-14-2010, 10:25 PM
You sound like my wife..........:rolleyes:

You sound like my 10 year old SON............:rolleyes:

Salty
04-14-2010, 10:27 PM
You sound like my 10 year old SON............:rolleyes:

He's married? :eek:

all star rod
04-14-2010, 10:32 PM
He's married? :eek:

No, not yet but I will feel sorry for his future wife...............he is just like his DAD.....matter of fact even worse........:smokin:

Jonathan Allen
04-26-2010, 04:48 PM
ok i have talked the guy down to 11 so far but im pretty sure i can him down to either 9500 or 10000 because he is ready to move it, what you guys think?

FF_T_Warren
04-26-2010, 05:43 PM
just be prepared to get a new motor put on it and if you think that for that price + a new motor down the road possibly, then go for it if you'll be happy. but if not, then dont waste your money because you will never be happy with it. We cant see it so its hard to make a judgement for you

Sea-Trac Offshore
04-26-2010, 05:49 PM
Do you know a surveyor that can take a look at it? That boat looks like it has been through hell and back. Get someone that knows how to look for problems. Me it looks like a hurricane boat that has been beat to hell. You will never get your money back out of that rig. Fishy fishy sale to me.

Jonathan Allen
04-26-2010, 05:55 PM
no i dont know any marine surveyors but my dads friend does fiberglass so i wanna get him to take a look at it

FF_T_Warren
04-26-2010, 06:01 PM
Ok, scratch that last post of mine. I was unaware that you had previously posted pics. No offense but you'd be crazy to buy that. That thing is a piece of junk. Keep looking, dont be too antsy. a good deal will come along thats in your price range. We got a 2005 20' skeeter with a 4 stroke 150 yam for 15,500 and it was dang near flawless and barely used. just keep shopping. If you buy that thing, they'll have to bury you face down cuz the other side will still be sore

Sea-Trac Offshore
04-26-2010, 06:02 PM
Smart move. Also a cmpression test and pressure test on lower unit. Look in the center console for corosion and see if there is any trace of dirt or water line at the top of the console. Inspect the bilge real well for marsh debris. What condition is the trailer in? You need to sit down and itemize everything as it adds up very fast.

My friend just got a 21' Avenger w/ yamaha 225 and double axle trailer for 1500.00
The hull was beautiful but needed a ton of work. Trailer redone, rewire entire boat, new hydraulic steering, all new gauges, etc..

Sea-Trac Offshore
04-26-2010, 06:03 PM
Forgot to add. The motor was replaced as we wanted to do a full tune up and water pump job but half the bolts were locked in heads and thermostats from neglect.