SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Tackle Box (Lures, Baits, Rigs) (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Best rod for under $200 (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=62932)

redaddiction 07-17-2016 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gerald (Post 784560)
Probably 15+ years ago, a fishing buddy told me about a rod he got at Academy. He said he had used it on a few trips and it was a great rod.... for $ 16.

I got one a few weeks later. This rod is a Classic Edition [I don't know if they are still made] 7' Medium light action. I have change 2 of the all metal eyes and still use the rod sometimes. It is still a very good rod.

I believe your taking about the All Star rods. They were great for the price.

mcjaredsandwich 07-17-2016 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Renegade (Post 784552)
I agree with you.

I've yet to have anybody prove to me that they can catch more fish with their high dollar rods than I can with my Ugly Stik Inshore Select or Ugly Stik Elite rods that I bought for fifty bucks or less.

I think most fishing tackle is designed to catch fishermen moreso than catching fish. Being convinced a high dollar rod is somehow "better" than another rod is proof of good marketing not fishing production.

Have you tried spending 6 hours a day 250 days a year jigging for trout with a 7' ugly stick? Guides use high grade, high quality and light weight equipment so they don't wear themselves out. Why do professionals use the highest quality gear? Because their lively hood depends on it and they don't need to tire down when the fish want a bait presented a certain way. Trout want the bait jigged fast? Tell me how your forearms will feel fishing all day, especially on a slow day where you're casting 400 times.

meaux fishing 07-17-2016 11:40 PM

Guarantee I catch more trout than an ugly stick on almost anyday using plastic. But especially during the cold months

jpeff31787 07-18-2016 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chumdumpster (Post 784338)
I've tried the ghost and liked it except for the foam grips..never got to try the corked ducketts but I bet they're excellent.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

hard to compare the ghost to the micro magic pro series. The MMP are much better and are around $160, they have a very fast tip if you like that. There's a reason everyone always says falcon falcon falcon and its because they are great rods and rather inexpensive. I have tried many rods and always go back to falcon. The lowrider is a super nice rod and sits comfortably in your hand, but I like the split grip as well which is why I always go bucoo. My friend just bought a 13 fishing omen green rod and its pretty slick as well. I've only thrown it a few times but it felt sweet, super light.

B Shark 07-18-2016 08:33 AM

Depends on the application. Fishing popping corks, sensitivity is not much of an issue. When fishing light jig heads in 12 - 15 feet of water, I need all the help I can get.

jpeff31787 07-18-2016 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B Shark (Post 801399)
Depends on the application. Fishing popping corks, sensitivity is not much of an issue. When fishing light jig heads in 12 - 15 feet of water, I need all the help I can get.

weight and action is definitely an issue though. Go fish all day with an ugly stick and a popping cork.. your wrist will be killing you. Allstar actually make a popping cork rod and its perfect for a cheap popping cork rod

B Shark 07-18-2016 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpeff31787 (Post 801434)
weight and action is definitely an issue though. Go fish all day with an ugly stick and a popping cork.. your wrist will be killing you. Allstar actually make a popping cork rod and its perfect for a cheap popping cork rod

Good point, I have old wrists.

BassYakR 07-18-2016 02:46 PM

Duce Rods! Best rod money can buy for under $200

meaux fishing 07-18-2016 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BassYakR (Post 801468)
Duce Rods! Best rod money can buy for under $200

Lol

Broke Down 07-18-2016 10:24 PM

I have owned several rods and the biggest thing I can argue about is weight. I have several that are cheap and outlast my expensive ones. Most rods blanks are extremely close in build/design. I am on the fence with this, if I pick one up and it feels good I buy it. The end user owns the rod. If you like it, buy it. :D