SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Discussion (Everything Else) (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   K2 Cooler Question (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44045)

inchspinner 05-21-2013 09:05 AM

Redneck first yeti i had did have a warped lid, brout back to academy with receipt and manager was like BS....we went and filled it with water and sho nuff, go swap it out...first trip out by 10am no ice...lol....bring it back

Jadams 05-21-2013 09:16 AM

50 qt yeti white 100$ come get it

MarshRat89 05-21-2013 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy C (Post 581994)
both k2 and yeti are good coolers, the ice you got my have been the problem. I have a yeti 65 in the back of my truck (for 5 years) beer cooler and it is used ALOT lol , keep ice in it all the time. with that said if i get ice stright out of the ice maker it only last a day maby a day and a half, if i bag ice from the maker and freeze it it will last 3 to 4 days. (a bucket and a bag hold the same amount) with that alot of stores have there ice frezzers turned way up warm, so by the time it hit the cooler it was already about gone even tho the bag was still full.

Just my exp.

The Ice does make a huge difference. I keep my roadie yeti in my work truck all the time with ice so it stays Pre cooled. If I get Ice from the gas station around the corner on Monday it's gone by wed. Sometimes thurs. depending on ambient temp. If I get it from shop it last till Saturday. Sometimes through the weekend.

Duck Butter 05-21-2013 10:07 AM

Serious question here:

How in the world can ice be different temperatures? Slow melt ice?:rotfl:

I can see where shape of the ice (block vs cubes) could make a little difference, but ice is just frozen water. Once that water reaches 32 degrees it turns to ice. That ice whether it stays in the freezer at 31 degrees or -100 degrees is still ice and no chemical change takes place after 32 degrees because the water molecules have already frozen:help: You take the same ice out of a 31 degree freezer and a -100 degree freezer and place it out in the sun, they are both going to melt at the same rate. If there was salt or something mixed in with the ice, the ice would be colder because it would take a lower temp to freeze, but it also would start melting at a higher temp so would be counterproductive.

"W" 05-21-2013 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duck Butter (Post 582482)
Serious question here:

I can see where shape of the ice (block vs cubes) could make a little difference, but ice is just frozen water. Once that water reaches 32 degrees it turns to ice. That ice whether it stays in the freezer at 31 degrees or -100 degrees is still ice and no chemical change takes place after 32 degrees because the water molecules have already frozen:help: You take the same ice out of a 31 degree freezer and a -100 degree freezer and place it out in the sun, they are both going to melt at the same rate. If there was salt or something mixed in with the ice, the ice would be colder because it would take a lower temp to freeze, but it also would start melting at a higher temp so would be counterproductive.

Ice makes a huge difference...believe it or not....the process of making ice is the key!!!
You can take Ice made by a few diffrent machines and you will find that some hold better than others...My Ice Machine does not make solid ice like my buddies and his Ice holds longer than mine all the time

Top Dawg 05-21-2013 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duck Butter (Post 582482)
Serious question here:

I notice the difference in say gas station ice and the roadside machine ice. The ice at gas station is cubed with a big air hole in the middle. Not a solid piece of ice. The roadside machines seem to be more dense.

PaulMyers 05-21-2013 10:27 AM

I think a lot of the difference with ice is how it is stored before you buy it. If the ice is coming from a dispenser, that ice is typically stored in a bin that has no refrigeration. The ice itself is the only thing keeping it cold. The ice storage boxes you find at convenience stores are typically freezers that control the temp.

Duck Butter 05-21-2013 10:41 AM

So, the ice is already in the melting phase when you buy it, gotcha:)

weedeater 05-21-2013 10:41 AM

if you take a bag of ice from the big ice machines on side of the road and put it in a deep freezer it will freeze it solid and it will last alot longer, that ice always tends to be wet and melting when you first buy it.

PaulMyers 05-21-2013 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duck Butter (Post 582497)
So, the ice is already in the melting phase when you buy it, gotcha:)

Exactly!

PaulMyers 05-21-2013 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by weedeater (Post 582499)
if you take a bag of ice from the big ice machines on side of the road and put it in a deep freezer it will freeze it solid and it will last alot longer, that ice always tends to be wet and melting when you first buy it.

You sir, are correct!

Duck Butter 05-21-2013 10:58 AM

Funny (to me) story, my mother has an ice machine for their office and she gets ice every Friday and if she comes down here she brings a chest full of it every time. If there is a family get together she always brings the ice from her work. She calls it 'the good ice':rotfl: That is her contribution to every function is the good ice. We make fun of it but anyways Cool story bro:help:

SaltERedneck 05-21-2013 11:25 AM

DuckB... my mother in law does the same thing. She calls it "good ice" too. Kinda like the ice you get at sonic.

swamp snorkler 05-21-2013 11:29 AM

The Ice at Canes is the best.

Slo-Melt Ice is just bigger chunks, You put that in a cup and you aint going to have any room for Pop, plus when the cube slides down it sometimes bust ya lip open.

3FLa 05-21-2013 11:32 AM

Same Motherinlaw

DuckB/SalteRedneck.....Sounds weird. Maybe you both got same motherinlaw.

Today, I tried to lift a Yukon Extreme about 54 qts. That ***** was so heavy while empty I would never be able to lifted it with anything in it.

I may regret saying this, but I am starting to side with "W" on this issue!

Duck Butter 05-21-2013 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SaltERedneck (Post 582519)
DuckB... my mother in law does the same thing. She calls it "good ice" too. Kinda like the ice you get at sonic.

Its just regular ice to me, now Sonic Ice IS good ice:grinpimp:

meaux fishing 05-21-2013 12:01 PM

Slo Melt ice is a brand in SE Louisiana. It is in big chunks rather than small cubes so it really does melt slower

"W" 05-21-2013 01:25 PM

Ice that freezes cloudy will not last as long as ice that freezes clear...that is a FACT
You want your ice to freeze from inside out...not outside in..(Cloudy ice)

Jadams 05-21-2013 01:41 PM

W's area of expertise..... Stock guru, fish legend, boat freeboard engineer, trucking logistics manager, Internet hero, and know chemical ice engineer! What if I freeze demineralized water for my ice cubes W r how bout dasani bottled water frozen could u give me the times for the phase change per each type of water?

fishwater 05-21-2013 01:44 PM

My 65 k2 sits under my lean post for 4 and 5 days with ice in it even when i put the boat back in my warehouse which gets super hot, i have had yetti and prefer my K2 anyday of the week.