View Single Post
Old 01-11-2010, 11:57 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,505

Quote:
Originally Posted by longsidelandry View Post
My lab is right at 3 years old, do you think it's too late to train him to track deer?
definitely not! its kind of like the other guys said he either got it or he dont! my lab is 6 years old. i never trained him for it. when he was 2 years old i had him at the camp with me during bow season. i shot about a 14" inside 8 point with my bow. i saw and heard the arrow stick him right behind his shoulder. i wait a few minutes and get down from my stand to go look. Nothing! Not a speck of blood, arrow, hair, or anything. i knew i had hit him. i looked around for about an hour, then walked back to the camp. when i get there i tell my dad about what happened. he asks me why i dont try bringin Amos(my yellow lab) to the hit zone and see what he can do. i literally laughed at him but was out of options so decided to give it a shot. he had never been in the woods unless we were going to a duck hole in the woods. i bring him out there on a leash, let him sniff around where it was and off he goes. its dark i have a tiny light and my dog is draggin me down a ridge at about 30mph. next thing i know we come to a stop about 200 yards from hit zone and im standing over my 8 point. Crazy! He has found 4 deer since then and like i said only ones he didnt find were ones people called me about to try and go that next morning. and im pretty sure the 3 he didnt find were bad shots. gotta get on em quick! if not, he is just going to start picking up other deer trails and stuff like that.