Default Ciguatera

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF_T_Warren View Post
whats that?
WIKI:
caused by eating certain
whose flesh is contaminated with toxins originally produced by
such as
which lives in tropical and sub-tropical waters. These dinoflagellates adhere to coral, algae and seaweed where they are eaten by herbivorous fish who in turn are eaten by larger carnivorous fish. In this way the toxins move up the
and
. Gambierdiscus toxicus is the primary dinoflagellate responsible for the production of a number of similar but distinct toxins that cause ciguatera. These toxins include
, scaritoxin and
species near the top of the food chain in tropical and sub-tropical waters, such as
and
, are most likely to cause ciguatera poisoning, although many other species have been found to cause occasional outbreaks of toxicity. Ciguatoxin is very heat-resistant, so ciguatoxin-laden fish cannot be detoxified by conventional
.[1][2]

When i lived in Galveston...people fishing the flower gardens had to be careful about their consumption. I recall a group catching a rather large Warsaw Grouper from the Gardens and w/in a few days a lady from the group was in critical condition after eating the fish...(although she did survive)...i'd rather not take my chances.