View Single Post
Old 04-18-2010, 07:29 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,074

#8 Second day on the Miss.

Somehow the channel marker missed the out drive & the fact that we awoke to a dry bilge/floors meant there wasn't a hole in the hull. A good start.

Our "pattern" was to first get underway (start engine, raise anchors, & power up the nav goodies. Then as the girls "gussied up we gradually increased speed as it became brighter & we could see debris (and marker buoys) better.

As soon as someone was available to "aid" the zone man, I set about double checking all systems. Then the genset was started & breakfast was started. We ran the genset in the mornings to refreeze the fridge & ice container. This also recharged the house batteries. The navigational equipment was on a separate, dedicated 2 battery system. It did have a "maintainer" charger but was really charged by the engine alternator AFTER the start batteries were topped off.

This was done very simply by a VSR (voltage sensitive relay). The generator had yet another battery. In all there were 4 separate systems. I had big plans of using gel cell batteries but in the end I bought off the shelf Wal-Mart marine lead acid.

Actually this proved to be a better choice. I asked my bud to help me run some wires one evening. He managed to run the drill bit through the wall (as planned) & INTO one of the new batteries!

Spreading acid into the equipment space behind the cuddy. (I don't make this stuff up I promise). Well, at least Memphis would have a Wal-Mart for another one.

We usually ran the generator again in early afternoon & then in the evening for awhile. I have no idea how much diesel this used. It was worth whatever it was. Along about 3 PM, Just as I lowered the engine hatch after my usual look-see, a loud screaming sound began coming from the generator. I hollered to shut it off. Now what? With the engine roaring in my ears, I lowered myself into the engine space so as to get to the genset. I soon found that the water pump had frozen tight. No electricity tonight.

The remainder of the day went OK and we picked the lee of a BIG sandbar to spend the night. While our stove was electric, our grill was gas. Burgers it was to be & the freezer was still holding, so we had ice. My buddy’s milk for his morning Cheerios was going to take a hit though. He might have to have a cold bagel for breakfast.

As it was hot, we all decided to swim until bedtime. We had picked this sandbar thinking there would be few mosquitoes. After all, it was solid sand as far as you could see.

WRONG! right @ dark we were swarmed by "clouds" of hungry mosquitoes. We fled to the stuffy cabin. All was not lost, we spent the time talking of past escapades & telling stories on one another.

A cool breeze finally showed up & we all had a reasonable nights sleep. BUT... we all realized what the generator meant to us.

Tomorrow....Memphis! 1/2 way home, Yippee!!!