View Single Post
Old 04-19-2010, 06:36 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,074

This morning was uneventful, in fact, not even much barge traffic as I remember. I spent my time down in the engine space, amongst the roar of the diesel & whirring fan belts, removing the Westerbeke's water pump.

A word here about optical illusion. The Mississippi is a master @ them. It didn't go unnoticed by us that ALL tows were white. The big muddy told us why. White is the only color that is not "absorbed" by the river. I was glad the Gibson Houseboat was white. Coves, inlets, even islands will not appear as they are. You need picture navigation to really see the river. The width & color of the water will definitely play tricks on you.

Yep! We missed the "slit" that led into the marina. We were almost 4 miles downstream before we decided it must be behind us. This meant beating back upstream against the current. NOW, we felt the power of the river, WOW! A glance @ the gauges told us we were overheating. We had to cut back to 5 MPH. Putt, putt, back we went.

The Memphis Yacht Club lies behind Mud Island, @ the foot of the big pyramid (ex sports arena), behind Mud Island. Just as you go under the 3 bridges, look for the BIG flags. Don't miss it, duh!

The marina is great, for many reasons. It lies close to the river, they are reasonable in prices, they are very friendly & helpful, but the best part is there is no major climb out of the facility. You are allowed to park & drive down the huge ramp.

To get to an auto in Evansville (and most other marinas) you had to climb the "stairway to heaven". After fueling we were told there was a space available one dock over. Yes you guessed it, my bud had a few teeny weeny problems getting the boat into the hole. I sat aft & used my legs to fend off the sides of other boats, His wife selectively inserted a big fender as needed here & there and a couple of small boats fired up & got the hell out of Dodge!

Hey everybody, look at us!!! "these damn houseboats don't handle worth a darn in close spaces" my friend mumbled as he left the wheel & headed for dry land. I just shook my head as I smiled @ the marina operator. He shook his head as he coiled the bow dock line for me. I realized my friend was going to learn the art of piloting about as much as I was going to learn how to play a bagpipe

All tied up & electric hooked up, ACs running we started about the business of relaxing, repairing & enjoying Memphis. After a few inquiries & cleaning up, we rented a car & set out. I had taken the time to show the water pump to the local marine supply pirate.

He "thought" he might have one in his "warehouse" It would run around $350.00. "Did I want it?" More like... did I have a chouse! I gave him a cell number and focused on more pleasant activities for the moment. He was clean shaven, wore slacks & a polo shirt, $100.00 dock shoes and a Rolex watch BUT... he was still a damn pirate.