View Single Post
Old 05-10-2010, 12:47 PM
Flounder

Cash: 650

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dink View Post
Pls excuse My ignorance here, but any where on the island I need to be aware of before booking a hotel?? i.e. lots of bars, lots of mexicans, crime, etc......? Dont want the kids to be woken up 15 times a night........
Any place ON the island itself will be fine. Although, you may have a difficult time finding a budget hotel around there. Honestly, being a local, I've never paid much attention to the presence of chain hotels on the island, so I can't tell you how many are down there or not.

If we go down there to stay we usually go with a condo or small beach house. There are hundreds you can rent, and some are pretty reasonable. So, if you strike out on a hotel, don't hesitate to start looking at condos or houses.

Regarding the snaps, you can get them closer than you think. Just remember that in terms of a season, we have our state laws and then the federal laws (like anybody). Of course, federally, there is a season and the limits vary.

I know you'd probably prefer to take your own rig, but if you just want to get the kiddos on a bunch of fish you might want to consider booking a trip on one of the many party boats that go out of Galveston. I've been a few times, and while it might get a little boring hauling in snapper after snapper for older folks, the kids have an absolute blast.

This is the company I've been with before: www.galvestonpartyboatsinc.com

Here are some other suggestions for fun activities you can do with the kids:
Duck Boat tour (it's a truck that's also a boat, the guy literally drives off the road into the water - it freaks the kids out, haha)
http://www.galveston.com/ducktours/

The Schlitterbahn waterpark is pretty cool for the kids, too.

And, in my opinion, the Moody Gardens pyramids are a MUST see. My wife and I go about once a year, and it never gets old for us. The aquarium pyramid is my favorite. You can kill a whole day here. Think of it like a zoo but WAY more fun.

I could go on, but here's a concise list of lots of things to do on the island: http://www.galveston.com/whattodo/