View Single Post
Old 04-12-2011, 09:42 AM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Cash: 7,829

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaAngler View Post
That's when more nets were in the water, less recreational boats on the lake before the bay boat craze. I don't remember redfish being as easy to catch, but most everyone i've talked to says the big trout fishing was better between 98-03

Only popularity big trout fishing ... in the 50;s to 70's no one weighted fish nor did they care and big trout was just a meal if it was landed! having two relatives that fish big lake out of 14ft boats in the late 50's's to 70's will tell you that 6lb trout were as common as sea gulls to the lake! 12inch trout were used as bait on a treble hook and cork and produced even bigger trout!
Trying to get a real weight from them is a hard question because that was never a issue or concern in those days. My Great uncle ****y said if he had to place a weight value on the biggest trout he laid eyes on coming out of the lake in the 60's he said 14-15lbs easy. Same size as huge redfish they were catching in nets and traps. He live few miles from the lake in the late 50's till 80's when he moved to Jennings.

He still laughs at our 12inch fish mimuim because that was un heard of back then and a 12inch trout was look at as bait. This lake has not improved from those times it has only decreased.
My dad who is 57 years old and in his teens to upper 20's said it was so easy to launch your boat in Cameron and drive 7 mins and catch 100 plus trout on artificial in 2 hours. You never came back with less than 75trout and a horrible day was 50trout. It was not uncommon to have 3 guys in a 14ft boat and boat 250 trout by 10am. He said this was fishing in those days. Now you better know this lake to be-able to have success...

So from talking to ones who have been there....Our Lake has not improved one bit