View Single Post
Old 06-13-2011, 08:39 PM
Ling

Cash: 2,477

I've got 2 bad experiences of what a mechanical will do shot at angle on a deer (one on video), not good .........& no doesn't happen all the time.

1st time........approx 120lb Doe 10 steps (maybe 7yds) I was approx 22' high, I shot & hit behind the shoulder at the top of the back along the outside edge of the backstrap.......PERFECT!!!!!!! You'd think The arrow hit it's mark then turned & came out just below the backstrap on the other side!!!!!!!!!! IT DID A U TURN!!!! The arrow actually went up on the exit side! Never even got close to vitals!!!!!!!Lost that one! Trailed forever with dog.

2nd time..........ON VIDEO!!!!, with a different type mechanical. 8pt approx 16" inside 165-170lbs quartering away at about 20 yds, arrow hit right behind back rib PERFECT!!!!!! You'd think! The arrow turned & came out the other side just in front of his hind quarter!!!!!!!!! IT DID A U TURN!!!! We watched this one in slow mo for 2 weeks straight & made me sick at my stomach every time!!!!!!!!

Now if you can imagine this....... 2 blade or three blade mechanical shot at a hard angle & the blades are in the right position when the tip goes in one blade will hit first & begin to open before the others & it's cutting through hair, flesh, muscle & sometimes bone before the other blade or blades or open or make contact which will make the backend of the arrow kick the opposite way!!!!!!!

I've killed my share with mechanicals (with some nasty entrance & exits!) & more of my share with fixed, after those 2 episodes you couldn't melt a mechanical & pour it on me! I've had my mishaps with fixed also, but mainly due to my fault. I've got over 70 whitetails under my belt with a bow, have hunted in some really awesome places over the years.

I have looked at the Rage, like the concept, not the same as the traditional mechanical, but just cant bring myself to do it!

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by wtretrievers; 06-13-2011 at 09:00 PM.